Sponsored by:

BTA 1500 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default BTA 1500 install

Has anyone done the Dension BTA 1500 install? I was wondering how you all got the mic wire to the trunk to connect tothe dension GW500. The factory grommets are pretty tight to get through. Is there a specific groemmet that makes it easier.
I did a search here but came up empty.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't know if the mike cord is long enough to go to recommended mounting area near homelink, but going through grommet behind battery could take you to factory mike area behind steering wheel, with no problem. May have enough to mount on drivers side windshield pillar.
My Dension unit is below glove box so no problem, but seem to have a lot of extra cord.
You may be able to pick up an extension cable and mount the BTA1500 inside the car and run the cable extension to the trunk to connect to the Gateway,
Ask Eric.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Larry suggested, I used the grommet hole behind the battery. Although some suggest removing the battery, I left mine in and was able to simply thread the cord through the hole and up to the Dension unit next to my nav unit.

However, from this location (which, in my car is actually down in the storage well up front (like other C4s)) I was only able to reach the stock location for the mic--which is on the steering column under the small array of holes in the top of the steering column plastic. In this location, my voice pickup was pretty bad and callers complained about me being "too far away".

I was going to order the extension cable (at $45 or so, ... can't remember exactly) to get the mic up near the dome light, but ended up returning the whole kit and caboodle.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
sharmat
Pro

Thanks guys; That helps out a lot. I look in to it today
Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same - I ran it through the grommet behind the battery (I did remove the battery for ease of access) and through a similar grommet from the trunk to the battery compartment (there are a few of these to chose from).

I tried the mic in the factory location (not good) and had barely enough cable length to run the wire up the windshield pillar and mount the mic on the sun visor. This works ok up to highway speeds, then the sound quality falls into the "can be understood, but only with effort" category.

Overall, I can't say that the BT1500 is really worth the trouble. You have to re-link the blue-tooth components everytime you turn the ignition on. If I take my phone with me when I park the car (usual scenario), then the phone prompts me with an "autoconnect with BTA?" message when I return and get within blue-tooth range of the car. If I catch this message (just a screen message) and hit "yes", then the blue-tooth link is reactivated even before I start the car. If not, I have to enter the phone section of the PCM and turn the phone to "on" and then scroll into the "my devices" section of my cell to manually reactivate the blue-tooth ink.

All in all it quickly becomes a PIA unless I'm going to be in the car for a longer period of time - so I often just leave it off around town.

On the other hand, audio quality relating to the mic can be an issue at highway speed (added to the vaguarities of signal quality in moving between cellphone repeaters). So for me anyway, the need for manual BT reactivation frustrates around town use, and audio quality issues can frustrate highway use.

It seems like everybody just "texts" these days anyway. I think I'd rather have that "your portfolio dropped 7 figures today" message in text form - saves me trying to choke back tears whilst chatting with my broker.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree PB.

I ended up going with one of those Bluetooth headsets that I hated oh so much (mainly from a society perspective seeing people using them as fashion devices). However, much to my surprise, I really like my $100 Jawbone II headset. It has built-in noise cancellation that eliminates much, if not all, of the background noise. I can be driving down the road, experiencing the typically 997 road noise, and callers say they hear none of it. I use it only in the car, because I'm embarrassed that it doesn't match my outfit.

I wanted to love the BT1500. I was one of the first to adopt it (read: buy), but for me it wasn't a winner.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Same - I ran it through the grommet behind the battery (I did remove the battery for ease of access) and through a similar grommet from the trunk to the battery compartment (there are a few of these to chose from).

I tried the mic in the factory location (not good) and had barely enough cable length to run the wire up the windshield pillar and mount the mic on the sun visor. This works ok up to highway speeds, then the sound quality falls into the "can be understood, but only with effort" category.

Overall, I can't say that the BT1500 is really worth the trouble. You have to re-link the blue-tooth components everytime you turn the ignition on. If I take my phone with me when I park the car (usual scenario), then the phone prompts me with an "autoconnect with BTA?" message when I return and get within blue-tooth range of the car. If I catch this message (just a screen message) and hit "yes", then the blue-tooth link is reactivated even before I start the car. If not, I have to enter the phone section of the PCM and turn the phone to "on" and then scroll into the "my devices" section of my cell to manually reactivate the blue-tooth ink.

All in all it quickly becomes a PIA unless I'm going to be in the car for a longer period of time - so I often just leave it off around town.

On the other hand, audio quality relating to the mic can be an issue at highway speed (added to the vaguarities of signal quality in moving between cellphone repeaters). So for me anyway, the need for manual BT reactivation frustrates around town use, and audio quality issues can frustrate highway use.

It seems like everybody just "texts" these days anyway. I think I'd rather have that "your portfolio dropped 7 figures today" message in text form - saves me trying to choke back tears whilst chatting with my broker.
I have no issues with my older Samsung 940, it connects flawlessly, maintains connection and performs well, esp voice dial.
I did however try to upgrade to a new Samsung model which would not work at all.
It would seem a lot of problems could be related to the phone, not the unit.
I do not include the Echo problem, which I believe is unit related.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
sharmat
Pro

Did you have to put a hole in the grommet to get the wire though?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

PM sent to you
Old 12-08-2010, 02:12 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

This is all very discouraging news. From what I gather, the best place to locate the BT mic is along the driver's visor? For those that have done it, is the center dome a better location?

Quick Reply: BTA 1500 install