Sponsored by:

997 Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Anyone know if 2008 997 has an engine? I took a quick look under the hood and it wasn't there.
Our airport security people find it every time... at the regional airport there is a control station outside the main entrance where they check what you have in your trunk... (stupid waste of money to begin with because you can have boxes and suitcases and tools and what not and they still let you through)... in either case, they always ask to see the trunk and then walk to the back of the car where, ta taaaaa, they find the engine.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by abe
we have "the porsche comedy club" and has a sense of humor. Keep in mind I am one of those who found it challenging to find the dip stick in the 83SC....it took me hours because I refused to look it up in the owners manual. As most of you know, the dip stick is in the same place where you pour the oil...
abe
Relax abe- it's all in good fun. And yes, Rennlist has amoungst the MOST classy out of any other web based forum for Porsche. fyi....
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chapman6264
Hey Mike,

Thanks! I was thinking Nathan should be able to get an engine under warranty don't you think?

Randy
Never mind, I found it. It was in the trunk.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
cag64
Instructor

Test. You just got your oil changed at the dealer, are you sure? In the old days to check, just pull out that trusted dip stick, sure enough fresh clean oil running all over that bad boy. I guess to be sure now you have change it yourself.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've trained a small mouse to scamper down the pipe thru which we add oil, he carries a small thimble attached to his tail. When he reaches the oil, I spin him around with the tether I have attached to his front leg, the thimble dips into the oil and I pull him out. It's worked out pretty well so far. If you decide to train your own mouse, don't do on a hot engine. I went thru a couple of mice before I figured that out. You won't get a full thimble of oil, but you'll get enough to tell how dirty it is.
The following users liked this post:
Cnosek (01-15-2024)
Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
I've trained a small mouse to scamper down the pipe thru which we add oil, he carries a small thimble attached to his tail. When he reaches the oil, I spin him around with the tether I have attached to his front leg, the thimble dips into the oil and I pull him out. It's worked out pretty well so far. If you decide to train your own mouse, don't do on a hot engine. I went thru a couple of mice before I figured that out. You won't get a full thimble of oil, but you'll get enough to tell how dirty it is.
I've tried what you suggest but I'm not getting the mice back out! (So far I have lost several). How do you secure the tether really well? I'm a little concerned about restarting the engine with them in there.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Change to the '09s. No longer can you check it with the key/ignition at startup. Engine has to be warm, car must be stationary. Toggle through the computer and check it when you get to the "oil" section.

Works fine, but takes a long time....at least 1 minute.

Which makes it very easy and convenient to check when you fill the tank as the engine is warm then. Just remember to do it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the new world, many new cars do not have dipsticks any more.
Lots' of them don't have spare wheels either.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GMS
At the Concours on Sunday I had to explain to the judge that there is no spare, no jack, and then proceeded to show her where the rudimentary "tool kit" is.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
How do you secure the tether really well?
I'm not sure how richc does it, but I always tie a running bowline. No problems so far.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GMS
Having no dipstick seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I mean you're depending on an electrical connection to monitor the oil level. If something fails, you won't know that the oil level is too low. At least with a dip stick, there's nothing that can fail.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Sadiq
Pro

oops... 7-month old thread
Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Change to the '09s. No longer can you check it with the key/ignition at startup. Engine has to be warm, car must be stationary. Toggle through the computer and check it when you get to the "oil" section.

Works fine, but takes a long time....at least 1 minute.
,,,and also the 09 is not very accurate. Try this....check you oil and not the reading....then turn the car off and wait 3-4 minutes and re-check. For example if you are at 1/2 or lower on the 1st reading you will be higher or full on the second reading!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A dipstick would not save you from disaster. If there is a problem and the oil drops while driving, in all cases you are relying on an electronic sensor to tell you to stop the engine NOW. Its true that a dipstick will give you a more reliable (from getting a reading) read of the oil level in a pan.

The issue I've got with the electronic reader is the time it takes (around 15-20 seconds of idling after I refill at the gas station (that way its at the same hot-engine state)... but also that the reading is VERY sensitive to the position of the car. The slightest incline affects the reading it seams. That is one reason to use a gas station to get readings - the spot by the pump is usually horizontal (unlike garages which slope down out the door).

I've seen what mdrums has indicated. I've checked the oil as I parked in the garage and got one reading. After the car was off, I started it again and got an entirely different reading. So it seems that the time the engine has been running also affects the level reading.

Thankfully the precise level isn't that critical. If the level doesn't show any bars for a proper reading, put in 1/2 quart, then start it up again and let the engine run a bit and repeat, until you get just under full bars.

Its a shame that the oil fill and tire pressure procedures are such confusing and flakey processes that are not just simple 'slam dunk' operations. Part of the problem is surely the instructions given by the manufacturer and the number and variety of ways of obtaining the setting readout or setting level. (if you give me 3 places to get a proper tire pressure level form, I'm sure I can arrive at 3 different amounts for the pressure I should be running). Part is the design of the car - its not the same as the vertical 4-cylinder 2.0l VW engine my Golf had where the oil just drained down into the pan at the bottom meaning a cold engine dipstick look is all it takes. These engines don't provide for such a simple mechanical reading; they require reading oil levels at during operation at operational conditions.. and that makes it a bit tricky.

Quick Reply: 997 Dipstick