Sponsored by:

2005 997S engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM
DRC440
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2005 997S engine failure

I am the original owner of a 2005 C2S and the car has 8500 miles on it. I recently took it to the track twice. After 2 trackdays where I saw the oil temps hit 255, I was driving the car back to the track for third trackday, stopped at the gate to sign in at Beaverun, as I started to pull forward I heard a very nasty sound of metal to metal scraping. I was going 1 mph when this occured. All gages on the dash were normal. It was about 65 degrees outside and I was not driving the car hard to this point of the day. The dealership sent a flatbed and one week later I have my car back with a new engine. The Dealership (Sewickley Car Store) was great to deal with and the entire ordeal did not cost me a cent. They tell me it was the intermediate shaft bearing failure. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Laps
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that is scary!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch! haven't heard that, but .... go stillers!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:35 PM
DRC440
Rennlist Member

I forgot to tell everyone that the car's ECU showed somewhere around 5000 hours of engine running. At 200 hours it had recorded an over rev of 10200RPM. I do remember that occurance. I was on the highway going through the gears, I redlined 4th and was shifting to 5th when I accidently hit 3rd gear. I pushed the clutch in just as quickly as I let it out. It scared the hell out of me, but I figured I had not hurt anything because everything felt and looked normal. The dealership showed me the report and it showed this over rev. I was told because the over rev occured so long before the failure, Porsche did not have a problem covering the new engine under warranty. One more thing I noticed was 2 drops of oil on the garage floor the night I got home after the failure. I am sure that was something that had I seen that earlier I would have questioned it.

I also read in this issue of Excellence, the 2009 engine has been updated to fix the intermediate shaft failures. I am just wondering how common these failures are?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
rvklein
Racer

During my many many many hours of researching my 911 purchase I came across a few people who have had the problem.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm surprised your dealership covered the work under warranty given the fact that you did a so called "money shift." Or do they not know this?!!!!
Anyhow, break that new engine in and head back to the track!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Remarkable indeed - this is the first IMS failure in the 2005 997S motor I've observed on any of these boards. Other motors have failed, certainly, but not because of IMS.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

Sewickly and Porsche did well. They really deserve some kudos and recognition. They could have simply stated read your warranty- you took the car on a race track- the warranty is void. This has happened more than once in the past and was even the subject of an Autoweek article a few years ago.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
DRC440
Rennlist Member

The dealership showed me the print out showing the 10200 RPM that I hit, so they definatly knew of the over rev and I know they reported it to Porsche NA. Needless to say, I am very happy Porsche NA paid for the new engine. The dealership said to put 500 easy miles on this engine and the take it back to the track. So that is exactly what I am going to do. I just have to put another 300 miles on it before this Saturday!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

If you are going to drive the car on the track and you are an accomplished driver or you are using slicks then you should invest in an oil pan. The oil pan is included in the X51 package but it has the same part number as the standard one. Your dealer must ask for the X51 oil pan. It ran me about 500.00 installed and keeps the oil where it should be in a long high speed turn. The more grip = more G forces.

A new driver on the track with street tires should not need this.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
DRC440
Rennlist Member

I will look into that X51 oil pan. I still am using street tires but I have many years of Sport bike racing and have raced a VWGTI ITB golf in SCCA. I am also an instructor at Beaverun. I think this oil pan may be something I should get just to be safe. Thank you very much for the advice.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

My 2005 Boxster S is at the dealer right now awaiting an engine replacement for the same problem -- IMS bolt failure. My failure was more subtle; a weird feel to the idle and the engine dumped all its oil after it was stopped. I've never done a money shift, though.

Porsche changed to a larger bolt in 2006 and the problem seems to be much rarer with the new design. From everything I've read about this kind of failure, it appears to be independent of how the car is run. Some engines just fail.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on your good fortune in getting your engine replaced. Porsche wants to keep their customers, unlike Nissan (re: voiding warranty for turning off VDC). These kinds of stories definitely want me to keep buying Porsches...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DRC440
I forgot to tell everyone that the car's ECU showed somewhere around 5000 hours of engine running. At 200 hours it had recorded an over rev of 10200RPM. I do remember that occurance. I was on the highway going through the gears, I redlined 4th and was shifting to 5th when I accidently hit 3rd gear. I pushed the clutch in just as quickly as I let it out. It scared the hell out of me, but I figured I had not hurt anything because everything felt and looked normal. The dealership showed me the report and it showed this over rev. I was told because the over rev occured so long before the failure, Porsche did not have a problem covering the new engine under warranty. One more thing I noticed was 2 drops of oil on the garage floor the night I got home after the failure. I am sure that was something that had I seen that earlier I would have questioned it.

I also read in this issue of Excellence, the 2009 engine has been updated to fix the intermediate shaft failures. I am just wondering how common these failures are?
Are you sure about the 5000 hours running time
at 365 days per year, that's about 15 hrs a day for a year.... or 15 years at 1 hr per day... and since it only has 8500 miles. it would be an average of about 2 mph!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:16 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Sewickly and Porsche did well. They really deserve some kudos and recognition. They could have simply stated read your warranty- you took the car on a race track- the warranty is void. This has happened more than once in the past and was even the subject of an Autoweek article a few years ago.
This is incorrect. According to their very own warranty booklet, Porsche will not warranty any defects or malfunctions that occurs during or as a result of a car being tracked. This is very different from voiding a warranty simply for taking a car on the track. I have had friends who have tracked their cars and have had particular claims denied (ones where it was obvious that it had happened on a track), but have never seen a warranty voided entirely simply for setting forth on a track.

I have heard rumors, however, that other manufacturers aren't as "open-minded," so if you're not driving a P-car, YMMV.

Quick Reply: 2005 997S engine failure