Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyong move from big red steels to PCCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008 | 10:13 AM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by ECS
Yep, think you are right on especially after I got a quote for $12K on just the front conversions and the fact that it is unclear from what I have read so far regarding their longevity on the track anyway.
You are better off going with Brembo GTR brakes. Almost the same weight as the PCCBs for cheaper for a conversion.
Old 10-02-2008 | 05:06 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

if you're tearing thru rotors and pads you're having a lot of fun. not cheap but straightforward to maintain....i'd stick with what's working
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:59 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ECS
Yep, think you are right on especially after I got a quote for $12K on just the front conversions and the fact that it is unclear from what I have read so far regarding their longevity on the track anyway.
I believe you best bet is to speak and meet with other track car owners in your local chapter of PCNA and any shops that specialize in track/road cars to match up which tracks you frequent to pads. Ask as well in the forums as well to obtain a few ideas.

Pads can be changed while at the track quite quickly as well.

Rotors that are on the car now as long as they are in good shape will do just fine. Or, yes, you can change to a different rotor, but make sure the calipers can be used with them or you'll end up changing those as well, which by most accounts, do not need changing as these are very good strong calipers.

Also, have the entire system flushed and filled with a racing brake fluid. Most use the Castrol SRF fluid.

I'm sure once you match pads to what track and type of driving you do, the brakes will work just fine and may surprise you.

As for shaving weight, look at exhaust systems, wheels, even tires... then more obvious things.

Regards,

Deanski
Old 10-03-2008 | 12:02 PM
sws1
Pro

It was my understanding that the issue with PCCB rotors is from not changing pad frequently enough.

Oh - and as for that initial bite with PCCBs...it goes away after one session on a track. If you still have bite, they're not broken in.
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:09 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

do you do a cool down lap?

Quick Reply: Anyong move from big red steels to PCCBs?