Sponsored by:

Hard time finding Dension Installer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hard time finding Dension Installer

I ordered the Dension Icelink from the group buy and I've been calling around looking for someone to install it. My dealer won't do it, I called another stereo shop and they've said they've ran into problems installing. I live in Salt Lake City. I'd like to install it myself but I'm horrible when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The install is super, super easy. Mine took me a while because I was being super careful but if i had to do it again it would be a 30 minute job most of that being pulling the trunk panels out.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM
jw1977
Pro

When you say super super easy, what do you exactly mean. Just how easy, I am really not mechanically inclined at all. For example, I would call changing the wheel crests as super easy. I had a tough time just changing the yellow sidemarkers out. I've seen numerous install posts but nothing with a real step by step description. I have a few friends that are handy but are afraid to work on such an expensive car.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
rvklein
Racer

Other than taping the power line (I used the CDC power on the upper left side of the trunk behind the carpet. The plastic panel assembly needs to be unscrewed and removed. makes install easier all around) everything else isn't much different than hooking up a DVD player to your TV.

I used posi-taps to tap power. You can buy them online or from NAPA auto parts stores.

I installed mine using the fiber going to the Navigation's DVD but you could use any (AMP, CDC, etc). There are 2 lines going into the DVD player. One is the fiber IN as noted by the arrow on the adapter (at the fact that the end of it glows red when the adapter is removed and ignition key is on). The other is the fiber OUT.

I did the following:

- DVD fiber IN is moved to the Dension Fiber IN
- Dension Fiber OUT goes to the DVD fiber IN

Each of these fiber adapters hold both the IN and the OUT so it's necessary to separate them from the DVDs fiber adapter. I don't know if this is the best way to do it but I just removed the BLUE anchor and pulled....

hook up power, plug in your iPOD and your good to go.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
jw1977
Pro

Thanks for the response, mine car doesn't have nav or cd changer, does that make it more difficult?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by jw1977
Thanks for the response, mine car doesn't have nav or cd changer, does that make it more difficult?
The power cord is still there for you to use.

If you don't have a CD chnger currently you'll have to take a trip to the dealer to have them enable it or you'll get some strange behavior from the units.

There was a post somewhere in Rennlist that did a great job of describing the install and had lots of pictures. I spent some time going through that post and it made installation a breeze but I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff.

Paul
Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
rvklein
Racer

If you don't have a CD chnger currently you'll have to take a trip to the dealer to have them enable it or you'll get some strange behavior from the units
I did not have to visit the dealer and have seen a number of posts with people who had similar experiences.

The lack of Nav only means you'll have to tap into the fiber loop at another device, like the BOSE AMP or the one in the upper right of the trunk behind the brake fluid which I found was a little tougher to get to.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

So that means a trip to the dealer before install if you dont have a CDC? Is that right?
I am going to do an install myself as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

You don't have to get to the dealer first. I waited a few months.

The biggest problem was if you let the playlist or library finish before changing list/library. If the library or CD finished then the unit would stop and not restart without manually restarting. Putting a large library on Random solved this.

Having the dealer enable the changer lets you start another library/cd without having to manually reset the unit.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
The power cord is still there for you to use.

If you don't have a CD chnger currently you'll have to take a trip to the dealer to have them enable it or you'll get some strange behavior from the units.

There was a post somewhere in Rennlist that did a great job of describing the install and had lots of pictures. I spent some time going through that post and it made installation a breeze but I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff.

Paul
Possibly not, many installs do not require dealer programming, without a CDC installed.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
sharmat
Pro

So i guess i can try the install without going to the dealer first? And if there is a problem then have the dealer reprogrami it?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed my Dension GW500 over 18 months ago. No CD changer; it integrated seamlessly and did not require a trip to a dealer for enabling.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
sharmat
Pro

Has anyone done a write up on the install that's more detailed than what the unit comes with? I think i saw one on the cayman site. Is it the same procedure for the 997's?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

sharmat, you have a pm
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
jw1977
Pro

pmgoodwin, I sent you a pm. If you have a write up I'd love to get it.

Quick Reply: Hard time finding Dension Installer