Sponsored by:

Car Got Egged Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chickens.

If not for the deliciousness of their roasted flesh and the importance of an occasional western sandwich in my diet, I would get rid of them all.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Lmmike
Advanced

I'm boycotting chickens
Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Any finish that had an egg thrown at it can be damaged not only by shells, but the egg itself can leave a mark from the PH of the white/yoke. Only way around this is quick action in washing it off, followed by a quck wash with baking soda to neutralize the PH on the finish. Then normally clay and polish the area. Followed by wax or sealant once polishing has corrected any defects.

Chipping can be more of a problem as the chipping can be very small, but numerous so it looks like it got peppered by a shotgun pattern. Depending on the color and panel, some can be touchhed up, but mostly, I advise to re-shoot the entire panel for a better match and coverage. Once done, the paint is cured (cured in an oven) and can be treated with wax or sealant. Still, most shops go by old school directions, which was common when solvent based paints are used, in that, it takes 30 days for paint to cure. Waterborne paints cure once heated in the booth. No harm in waiting a few weeks if this makes some feel better. Always ask if the paint is solvent or waterborne when having it re-shot.

The better sealants can delay the effect, but the PH from this along with the physical contact will get through the sealant in time. Still, having a good sealant does retard the effects.

Same for bird "bombs", they can really leave damage to a finish. Always get the bird droppings off as soon as possible and protect the car from future attacks by moving to another spot or a car cover.

Good luck and post some before and after pics.

Deanski
Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
jonoz
Instructor

I totally agree with deanski....my turbo has been egged and I carry cleaner and towels in my trunk....it is essential to clean the car asap....of course after some corrective discipline to the auto terrorists who did the act.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:59 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am totally obsessed with keeping my car in perfect condition and always repair any scratches, etc. I had the same thing happen to my car and this is the one thing that I haven't fixed. My car is carrara white and I can only see the damage when I am washing the car and inspecting every spot. I just try to ignore it because it is so minor and I think that the repaint may ultimately be more noticeable and lead to suspicion of real damage when I ultimately sell it.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Just got back from the body shop, total damage $900.
Sorry to hear it. Assume that's to repair and paint the panel? Just get it done right and you'll feel better about it. What kind of a-hole would do that? A jealous one obviously.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, that price is for repainting the whole panel. I was surprised at everthing that had to be removed to get this done. The whole back, window mouldings etc.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Thanks, that price is for repainting the whole panel. I was surprised at everthing that had to be removed to get this done. The whole back, window mouldings etc.
$900 actually sounds low for that degree of repair - make sure you use a highly recommended, high-end shop, or you won't be happy with the work. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

yes, eggs produces a shot gun pattern of chips.
i was victim of one and i got the kid as he was vandalizing other cars. i dont think he will ever do it again after what i did to him ;-)

$900 seems very low for shooting a panel and taking trims off. maybe labor rate is very low in your area?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

labor rate is around $45/hour I believe. The place I'm taking it is where the dealer recommended. There were a few other porsches in the lot. He's also affiliated with the local club.

Quick Reply: Car Got Egged Tonight