Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first drive c2s with pdk

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008 | 02:51 AM
cgng30
Instructor

Default first drive c2s with pdk

My local dealer invited me for a test drive for 09 pdks. they were launch cars. my observations.

the rear light lens are ok, i like the old ones. the front is ok to , i still like the older style. the seats were nice , they were the vented once. the side view mirrows are now bigger. pcm is now wider as you already know, feels like audi buttons , sam old layout . there is alot of room in the engine bay, i guess due to the DF engine , less components? sounded about the same. now the test drivr. I must say the pdk in auto mode drives like an auto , very smooth, no jerks etc. after the oil was at op temp, i switced to manual mode and that was awsome as well, shifts were fast and down shifts were perfect as well. the car was deceptively fast and smooth, but did not feel the extra torque increase on my bitt dyno. over all I liked it, but i ended up getting a 07 turbo week ago. definately feel the torque there

Last edited by cgng30; 09-21-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2008 | 03:49 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgng30
there is alot of room in the engine bay
Any of that usable for storage? But would probably get too hot anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to store my luggage during my Euro trip. Actually, I'm more concerned about Clare's luggage... I can survive on one set of underwear for quite a while...
Old 09-21-2008 | 10:23 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

careful when you substitute an N for a B! may come across as bigoted.
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:41 AM
AndreCT
Racer

I too drove the PDK car on Saturday. In auto mode it was extremely smooth and when shifting in manual mode the shifts were the fastest, smoothest I have experienced. Especially when comparing to my SMG equipped M5 from a few years back.
With respect to the OP, I also drove a 07 Turbo my dealer had traded in. I found the clutch to be too light and the take up was right at the top. I disliked it intensely! I am sure, given a little more wheel time that I could make some smooth shifts but my initial impressions were not favorable. As regards power, well it has that aplenty of course.
So I am in a small dilema, do I order my new car with or without PDK. I almost fancy myself a "purist" and mastering a perfect downshift "heel toeing" gives me a rush but I also want to embrace newer technology. The only gripe I have (which I know I can get over) would be the way Porsche have configured the gear shift lever to "push" for an upshift and "pull" for a downshift".. likewise with the steering wheel toggles where one also pushes for the upshift etc. This is counter intuitive with any other car equipped with paddles. always pull to upshift and push to downshift.
Anyway.. I need to decide soon because my dealer has a car, that can be modified, waiting to be built with my name on it.
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:47 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgng30
.... the side view mirrows are now ******....
I know you didn't mean this but it has got to be one of the all time great typos! Careful with those spill chickers.
Old 09-21-2008 | 01:26 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coochas
I know you didn't mean this but it has got to be one of the all time great typos! Careful with those spill chickers.
omg , no i did not mean that, bigger!!!
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:57 PM
ECS
Pro

Does the engine blip on the downshift with PDK?
Old 09-22-2008 | 11:51 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Any of that usable for storage? But would probably get too hot anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to store my luggage during my Euro trip. Actually, I'm more concerned about Clare's luggage... I can survive on one set of underwear for quite a while...
It all seems fine until you have to go brown in front and yellow in the back.
Old 09-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ECS
Does the engine blip on the downshift with PDK?
Yes. But it's not like the AMG blip, meaning it's not as pronounced. However when combined with the Sports Chrono option- the 'blip' is WAY more pronounced on aggressive driving. It's almost like the car knows the difference between you actually driving aggressively, and you just showing your friends. LOL

What's bizarre to me is that no one has mentioned the suspension. Both clients who just ordered new C2S's commented that around town it feels more comfortable, and bumps are less intrusive. with PASM on it's rock solid.

I think the car does indeed drive better.
Old 09-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

ps. the room in the engine bay is accounted for by : the new DFI engine and they lowered it so the car has a lower center of gravity.
Old 09-22-2008 | 05:40 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

I have to admit the PDK sounds worth testing, but I have a rookie question for any of you. I have never driven a Tiptronic, just the manual. Other than the buttons on the steering wheel, how does PDK differ from the Tip?
Old 09-22-2008 | 06:03 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon996
I have to admit the PDK sounds worth testing, but I have a rookie question for any of you. I have never driven a Tiptronic, just the manual. Other than the buttons on the steering wheel, how does PDK differ from the Tip?
In almost every way.

The biggest difference is the fact that it has two clutches, which allows it to pre-select the next gear and make nearly instant gear shifts. It pre-selects up, so it is silky smooth going up. When in sport mode it does rev-matching on downshifts, and the transition itself is very fast.

The PDK is 0.2 FASTER 0-62 than 6-speed. Tiptronic is 0.5 seconds slower, give or take.

Street driving you will get better fuel economy (better/faster shifts, and 7 gears vs. 6) and a super smooth feel. Sport/track you will get less disruption of the car, allowing for shifting in corners where you might not even consider it with a 6-speed. Rev-matching downshifts that prevent the 'money shift' (ie, downshifting the engine accidentally beyond the red-line) and are smoother than you can achieve manually.

There was a great article in Panorama last month that is worth checking out if you are a PCA member (or can get your hands on a copy).
Old 09-22-2008 | 11:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

PDK is truly first rate if all you want to do is to go quickly from 0 to 60 or beyond. I didn't like lacking the ability to control via engine braking. What I predict is aa larger problem for highly experienced 911 (rear engine and weight bias) drivers who know how to take curves a certain way with a 6-speed and then taking out a PDK car which can arbitrarily change gears on you when IT decides it's time to do so. I took a PDK S cab out on my usual test 'track' and have to honestly say that I am faster in that route with a 6-speed and in far more control. In wet conditions I would be quite concerned about approaching adhesion limits with a rear-engined car that can change gears at random.

If left in the manual mode it is fairly close to a 6-speed but I would have to have more time behind the wheel to properly evaluate it.
Old 09-23-2008 | 01:58 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
PDK is truly first rate if all you want to do is to go quickly from 0 to 60 or beyond. I didn't like lacking the ability to control via engine braking. What I predict is aa larger problem for highly experienced 911 (rear engine and weight bias) drivers who know how to take curves a certain way with a 6-speed and then taking out a PDK car which can arbitrarily change gears on you when IT decides it's time to do so. I took a PDK S cab out on my usual test 'track' and have to honestly say that I am faster in that route with a 6-speed and in far more control. In wet conditions I would be quite concerned about approaching adhesion limits with a rear-engined car that can change gears at random.

If left in the manual mode it is fairly close to a 6-speed but I would have to have more time behind the wheel to properly evaluate it.
Dan: Again you are not using it properly - do not throw the baby with the bath water. Just manually shift its 6-speeds (without a clutch), the same way you drive your 6 speed manual (same cog ratios). You should have the same acceleration patterns and the same engine braking patterns. No difference. The difference is a 3-pedal interface, vs a 2-pedal interface.

But even in D the tranny does not change gears arbitrarily, and in Sport mode it is actually quite good at shifting up or down in a spirited drive. You ought to try it again and explore its characteristics. This is not a 4-speed Olds auto tranny.
Old 09-23-2008 | 07:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
... I can survive on one set of underwear for quite a while...
Originally Posted by blk on blk
It all seems fine until you have to go brown in front and yellow in the back.
A good rule of thumb is that if your doctor asks you for urine, stool and semen samples, and you can give him your underwear,....then it's time to change 'em.

Quick Reply: first drive c2s with pdk