2009 Carrera S vs 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fauvre
.... say about the new 4WD system:

[I"Aiding Launch Control in its task of catapulting the 911 out of the gate is the new electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system. Porsche Traction Management was taken directly from the 911 Turbo and replaces the viscous coupling that was in the previous Carrera 4 and 4S. The system can vary the torque split front-to-rear in any ratio within 0.1 second and is only limited by the front axle's 295-lb-ft maximum. It uses lots of signals - like steering angle, wheel slip, and lateral and longitudinal acceleration - and, as we discovered on a special low-mu track, does a superb job of shuttling power around to make any driver look like a hero, even on a slippery surface. As long as the driver stays in the throttle, the car will also avoid the need for the stability program to intervene by way of the brakes."[/I]
Good to see this, as the 997 Turbo AWD system is/was definitely superior to the 997 Mk I C4/C4S system on paper. Although, in real world applications, I was always curious if there differences really panned out.

Now it's a moot point.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was driving my C2S home after picking it up (it was raining most of the way home) I wanted to see how well it handled on wet pavement and I hit the throttle pretty hard coming out of a rest stop. I pretty much ended any desire I've had for a C4.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C2S!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify. PDK weighs less than Tiptronic, but more than the standard stick shift gearbox. So over stick there's weight gain, not weight saving, and then you add in redundant awd...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i found a video showing the differences between the 997 c4s awd and the turbo awd, really no differnce, the turbo had an advantage on compacted slick snow though. i forget where it was though, i'll post it if i find it.

rwd is better around the track provided you know how to get it to work with the engine out back. Awd really won't make much of a difference, just braking and corner speeds, exit speeds though can be done higher with awd than chasing the rear with the 2wd. just my experience with a nissan skyline gtr.

it's awd, in a straight line(like dragstrip) it's gonna be better if you know how to launch it...without the launch control...which is a bs toy anyway, i could launch a c4s better and achieve 1/4 better than with LC on.

as for daily commute on back roads, awd. it's more versitle. just in case you get the day that starts dry and sunny, then while at work it starts to rain, then changes to snow. unless you're a really good driver.

the carrera 997.5 has lsd as an option, might be standard on higher models.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I have a client who drives a 996 GT3 as his WINTER BEATER. Snow's never come off of it.

I asked him why a rear wheel drive for winter (as oppossed to the 'why a GT3 for winter?' DUH, cos I fekkin can!!)

he said: "AWD is for ******."

I laughed at that one.

Go for the 997mkII C2S RWD and call it a friggin day!!

Ps. this post has no real valuable content! just fun!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
...exit speeds though can be done higher with awd than chasing the rear with the 2wd. just my experience with a nissan skyline gtr.
This is not an issue with the 997/997S. Rear grip is tremendous; there is no problem getting the power down even without the LSD that is now available in the US.

Quick Reply: 2009 Carrera S vs 4S