Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:37 PM
JimG
Instructor

Default Too much oil?

Some background first. I have had my CPO 2006 997S since it had 16,000 miles (it now has 33K) and it uses a quart every 3 or 4 thousand miles. I just had the engine dropped to replace part of the harness and some fried sensors a few days ago. I just noticed the oil level now indicates it is overfilled (just above the full mark). It was about 1/3 of a quart low when I took it in for the repair. How can I tell if the oil level is dangerously high. Could the bad sensor mean they have been overfilling it all along?
Old 09-10-2008 | 12:53 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

A third of a quart?
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You're worried about 1/3 of a quart??? Gees...
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:46 AM
JimG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You're worried about 1/3 of a quart??? Gees...
I am not worried about it being 1/3 or even 1 quart low. Read my post again, I am concerned about having too much oil. I have been reading on other forums how too much oil can blow an engine.
Old 09-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimG
I am not worried about it being 1/3 or even 1 quart low. Read my post again, I am concerned about having too much oil. I have been reading on other forums how too much oil can blow an engine.
I doubt you have to worry about blowing an engine because of the oil levels you reported...but the only way you'll get comfortable with this is to do an oil change yourself and add exactly what the manual calls for then see what your gauge reads.
Old 09-10-2008 | 12:35 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I doubt you have to worry about blowing an engine because of the oil levels you reported...but the only way you'll get comfortable with this is to do an oil change yourself and add exactly what the manual calls for then see what your gauge reads.
Except what the manual "calls for" and what's been drained are probably NOT the same amount. Adding "exactly what the manual calls for" will probably give you an overfill. Why can't Porsche bring back the dip stick

It would sure end a lot of frustration

Read OC Ben's excellent explanation of the errors with our electronic read out. There have been several threads on the oil over fill topic.
Old 09-10-2008 | 12:57 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim,

When the engine is cold, loosen the drain plug to the last few threads... and carefully pull it off a little bit and let some oil out. I would drain approx a quart and tighten it back up. Then just refill .25 qt at a time till you get the electronic indicator right. Let the e-indicator catch up by letting 5 mins inbetween pours.

Some folks here would say you need a new alum washer in there... if you're bothered by that, buy another plug, its only $4.50. have it ready with a new washer. (so you're not fumbling trying to install a new washer on the old plug while the oil is draining).

I leveled my oil to the right level so I could track consumption. So far its zero. Its been in the same level for 1200 miles now sinve leveling it.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 09-12-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

A third of the quart OVER is not going to KILL your engine. Just drive it until it burns it off. No one makes an engine that intolerant of oil level.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by uzj100
Except what the manual "calls for" and what's been drained are probably NOT the same amount. Adding "exactly what the manual calls for" will probably give you an overfill.
Precisely.

What the manual calls for is based on capacity - on a dry empty engine. After draining the oil there will always be a residual amount of oil that needs to be taken into account when refilling with new oil.

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Jim,

When the engine is cold, loosen the drain plug to the last few threads... and carefully pull it off a little bit and let some oil out. I would drain approx a quart and tighten it back up.
Are you speaking from experience or just speculating?

9 qts of oil creates quite a static pressure head applied across that small circular area of the screw threads on the drain plug. Even if you had the strength to push back against the pressure with your hand, you'd better be wearing goggles and an old shirt to throw away, 'cuz you're gonna have oil spraying all over your garage floor.

Not recommended.
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:31 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by OCBen

9 qts of oil creates quite a static pressure head applied across that small circular area of the screw threads on the drain plug. Even if you had the strength to push back against the pressure with your hand, you'd better be wearing goggles and an old shirt to throw away, 'cuz you're gonna have oil spraying all over your garage floor.

Not recommended.
Ben,

I've done this many times/experience. As long as the engine/oil is cold.
Old 09-10-2008 | 03:56 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen

Not recommended.
This was 2 weeks ago....

My mechanic overfilled my 996 recently by about a half quart, maybe less. But I'm on a new engine (CPO replacement) and this was only 800 miles into break-in so I wanted to ensure it wasn't overfilled. Yes, I have a dipstick, and could clearly see the amount overfilled and gauge it reasonably well. I crawled under the car with a shopping bag and one of those 1Qt size tubs and drained 1/2 Qt without any problem whatsoever just as was recommended by Carrera Mike (before I saw his post).

Now I'm just at/or below the top fill line... pressure??? maybe if the oil's hot - but like it was recommended, do it with the engine cold.

Just my $0.02...
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Ben,

I've done this many times/experience. As long as the engine/oil is cold.
Originally Posted by eDoug
This was 2 weeks ago....

My mechanic overfilled my 996 recently by about a half quart, maybe less. But I'm on a new engine (CPO replacement) and this was only 800 miles into break-in so I wanted to ensure it wasn't overfilled. Yes, I have a dipstick, and could clearly see the amount overfilled and gauge it reasonably well. I crawled under the car with a shopping bag and one of those 1Qt size tubs and drained 1/2 Qt without any problem whatsoever just as was recommended by Carrera Mike (before I saw his post).

Now I'm just at/or below the top fill line... pressure??? maybe if the oil's hot - but like it was recommended, do it with the engine cold.

Just my $0.02...
Cool.

I'd still make sure there's layers of newspapers all around just to make sure no splatters of oil get out.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Perhaps this is a good place to post this.

For oil changes I cut down a 5-gallon paint bucket. I cut it low enough to fit under either a 997 or a 997 TT (with a real oil reservoir) and then reattach the handle. I also inscribed the inside of the bucket at every two quarts of capacity so I'll know precisely how much oil I have drained from the motor.

Later, when I'm filling the engine up with oil I start off by replacing what I know I took out, and then let the electronic gauge tell me if I need to add more. I add 1/2 quart at a time.

Hope this helps.

P.S. When changing oil with the stuff hot I loosen up the bolt(s) and then let 'er rip. I let the drain plug and washer go into the bucket. I always have a spare plug and gasket to put back on, later fishing the one out of the bucket once the oil has cooled. (It's not that easy fishing for them anymore since they're aluminum--but I have added a magnet to mine.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:19 PM
OCBen
Banned

That's a great idea, Dan.

Thanks for posting.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:34 PM
J1SD
Advanced

So...I am in the same boat. Oil was changed and overfilled by maybe .5 quart or so. Oil has been registering over the top mark...

I know they used less than 10liters (as I have the remainder in a jug). I think they added 8.7 liters or just over 9 quarts. Manual calls for 8.5 liters with the filter.

Should I drain a little or just drive the car hard for a while? Inquiring minds need to know.. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Too much oil?