Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008 | 09:13 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Default PDK

Since the new Porsche models were put on sale in July in Europe, has anyone had the chance to drive a 997 with PDK? and if so comments please. Actual shift speeds and smoothness? I would really appreciate an evaluation when compared against the Tiptronic and the 6 speed manual. Yes I have read the many articles but that is more promotional. Real life Porsche driver comments weigh more. Thanks
Old 09-09-2008 | 11:39 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

If it's anything like the Double Clutch system I experienced in the NISSAN GT-R, then I'd say it's brilliant against the out-going Tip Tronic.

Have you ever driven a Lambo E Gear or Ferrari F1?
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:01 PM
AngM018
Instructor

I will let you know in about a week. Heading to Palm Springs for Porsche training, and driving the new PDK.
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:01 PM
72guy
Track Day

Originally Posted by AngM018
I will let you know in about a week. Heading to Palm Springs for Porsche training, and driving the new PDK.
looking forward to your comments
regards
Old 09-11-2008 | 01:26 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I drove one yesterday. It is fantastic. I drive a 996 RS and I'm not a fan of paddle systems but I have to say PDK really is excellent. WOT upshifts are instantaneous and very satisfying. I've driven a lot of regular manumatics including the Ferrari F1 (which is very good) and they all feel stone-age next to PDK. Even in full auto mode it works really well. I remain a stickshift die-hard, but as a replacement for Tiptronic, PDK is brilliant. I was very skeptical before driving it but it quickly won me over. And if you don't care much for the added involvement of heel-toe work, then PDK is also a good replacement for manual. I can't say that for any of the single-clutch systems including the excellent Ferrari F1.

And the 3.8L DFI engine is awesome! Great car.
Old 09-11-2008 | 01:31 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by AngM018
Local dealer just came back from this training and said the new PDK was awesome. Also, he had good feedback on the SPASM being not too rough.

Quick Reply: PDK