Sponsored by:

John Mayer haunting my radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default John Mayer haunting my radio

one of my Bose radio channels (102.1 ) only shows "John Mayer" on the the RDS display, all the other channels display correctly and 102.1 show the correct titles on my wife's Lexus.

I would not complain if it said Jessica Alba, but John Mayer??
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If it stays that way for too long you need to call the radio station (I'm not kidding). You need to tell them so that they can clear their system that feeds that information to radios capable of displaying that. (I ran into this one time months ago and wound up seeing it displaying the came thing for weeks. After I called it was resolved within 24 hours.)
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

If it was the radio station's RDS sender malfunctioning, wouldn't Mrs. mal28's Lexus be showing all-John Mayer-all-the-time, too?
Or, do Lexus vehicles have more reliable electronic head-units than Porsche?
Oh, wait.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

John--the Lexus may have a more intelligent discriminator circuit, which may default back to station frequency when the RDS sender isn't actively updating. Knowing Porsche, it would not surprise me at all if Lexus had better electronics than Porsche.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, and two other members had the same problem (run a search on this board from earlier this year). With all due respect ot Edgy01, it is likely in the PCM itself. Like you, I had no problem with my other vehicle, which in my case, was also a Porsche, so not a problem with the discriminator. One of the other members who lives in my area, had the same problem, but with a different radio station. I had no problems with his station, and he had no problems with mine. The other member with the problem lises in CA. I don't know whether his was resolved.
The solution, for me, was updating the Navigational software. When I did that, everything was fine, and (knock on wood) has been ever since. My car is a 2006 C4S Cabriolet.

Jerry
Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You can also try and remove the fuse to the PCM/Bose system to clear and reboot the PCM and see if it returns.

Deanski
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Hey Deanski, good to see you back, have you been out of circulation for a while?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Just very busy working on the new Target in Trumbull Mall. It's a unique multi-level. Data cabling going show, so it just makes my job that much more difficult. Turnover is Wednesday!

I see you now have the GT2!! That must be one insane car!!

At least earlier I was up at Lime Rock for the ALMS.

As for the PCM issues, I too may update the NAV. I also had to reboot the darn thing when the Sirius module started acting up. I have to find a better location for the antenna as well.

Have a great holiday weekend all!!!

Deanski
Old 08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

All good ideas to troubleshoot with. I did the remove and replace of the PCM fuse but did find, in my case, that it was the radio station that was hung up. Quite possibly the PCM is hung up as well.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I believe if John Mayer were haunting my radio I might consider some sort of suicidal gesture.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Another thing to check is whether the info is coming through to the PCM on the Info screen. Hit the Info button, then highlight the radio data( I think this is the wording on the screen) and push the right rotary ****. In my case, the correct information was coming through from the station on this screen, but not on the central display, or when the Main screen was up on the PCM. If this is happening with yours, have the Dealer check it out, if the pulled fuse method doesn't solve it for you. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Jerry
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
Another thing to check is whether the info is coming through to the PCM on the Info screen. Hit the Info button, then highlight the radio data( I think this is the wording on the screen) and push the right rotary ****. In my case, the correct information was coming through from the station on this screen, but not on the central display, or when the Main screen was up on the PCM. If this is happening with yours, have the Dealer check it out, if the pulled fuse method doesn't solve it for you. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Jerry
thanks, I just tried this and John has been exhumed! display is now correct

BTW, if I pull the fuse to re boot, do I then need to enter a radio code?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

The PCM does not use a code the way earlier Porsche radios did.

Jerry
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

My PCM was haunted by Linkin Park. I am guessing the radio station updated their RDS data, because it has gone away and now is the station ID.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

I was the guy in CA with the problem.
It went away on its own for a while, now its back again with a new "ghost"
The info screen shows all the correct info, just the main menu shows garbage.
I'll bring this up when i go in to the dealer next time, but i mainly use the ipod, so its not a huge deal... just a little annoying

Quick Reply: John Mayer haunting my radio