Sponsored by:

Sport exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport exhaust sound

I think the sport exhaust on my 2007 c4s sounds like a Honda tuner car with a six inch exhaust pipe on it. In other words - not really great. As it approaches WOT it does have a deep raspy sound but until I get to 60 or 70 MPH it sounds like that wanna-be. Maybe I'm just ruined by the sound of a Harley idle or a 70's Trans Am with a Thrush can, but I long for a deeper powerful sound at idle and low rpm cruising speeds. I know in asking this question I will be subject to all kinds of humurous flaming, but here goes - - - anybody got a recommendation for an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
I think the sport exhaust on my 2007 c4s sounds like a Honda tuner car with a six inch exhaust pipe on it. In other words - not really great. As it approaches WOT it does have a deep raspy sound but until I get to 60 or 70 MPH it sounds like that wanna-be. Maybe I'm just ruined by the sound of a Harley idle or a 70's Trans Am with a Thrush can, but I long for a deeper powerful sound at idle and low rpm cruising speeds. I know in asking this question I will be subject to all kinds of humurous flaming, but here goes - - - anybody got a recommendation for an aftermarket exhaust?
There will be many preferences - but it really is a personal preference as you stated...so find some and listen - that's the best way. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Tubi will fix your problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the orange plug? Most who have PSE disconnect it and never re-connect. I am among that crowd. Sounds good from idle to WOT. In the event that you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a picture of the plug, courtesy of Rolf Stumberger.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
lig
Racer

If my C2S sounded like a Harley I would have never even considered it. I hate those lumpy, vibrating, no-revving, typically festooned like a jukebox can hardly maintain an idle boat anchors with a passion.

And yes - just mod the PSE as above and it'll sound great all the time.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Once again the great people on Rennlist never fail to lead me correctly. By the way, you are right, I wouldn't have bought the 997 if it sounded like a Harley either! But the Thrush on a large v8 - maybe.

I have heard about the "orange" plug - your picture was great and very helpful. Thanks again!!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm....not sure about the thrush on a large V-8 either...except maybe the older cars as you indicated. Some clown tried to race me today in a souped up Ford Mustang, and his car sounded like a "white trash" ride. of course, I declined the race, but gave him a serious throttle blip as I downshifted and moved aside so that he could hear what a real sports car sounds like...:-) I have the gundo muffler hack on my OEM exhaust, and man, it sounds sweet!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For a mild yet sporty sound...change the muffler using AWE or Fabspeed. That will give you a nice sound without waking up the neighborhood.
abe
Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley??? I rode a Harley once. It shook like a jackhammer and steered like a lumber truck.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
chuckla
Racer

For the unwashed, what happens when you unplug the orange thing on pse?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Harley??? I rode a Harley once. It shook like a jackhammer and steered like a lumber truck.

And....if your car sounded like that......you'd be pulled over and cited.
But if it's a"Harley".....it's OK.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I love my PSE system, so screw the neighborhood!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Now Tubi just came out with a "PSE" type muffler cans/ It has the valve in it.

Want a bit louder? Listen to a PSE system with a muffler bypass pipe installed, or switch your cats to 200 Cell units.

Listen here! http://www.fabspeed.com/videos/997%2...r%20Bypass.wmv

Deanski
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Circe
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckla
For the unwashed, what happens when you unplug the orange thing on pse?
Chuck

The 997s with PSE will have a button on the control panel. Engage it and the PSE “sport sound” comes one. There are technical explanations in other threads as to what mechanically happens and how (the exhaust is channeled through two chambers instead of three, etc), but suffice it to say here that the sports sound comes on. In its infinite wisdom, Porsche decided somewhere around 2500 rpm or better and between, say, 20 to 45 mph the PSE would automatically revert back to the standard “normal” sound in compliance with noise abatement regulations of some countries. Once the mph threshold is exceeded, the sport sound would automatically resume.

Disengage the orange plug and the PSE sports sound stays on 100% of the time with no buttons to push, and with no automatic noise abatement cut back feature.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

I just disconnected the orange plug on my 08 C2S and it sounds great. Now it no longer automatically switches back to quiet mode at mid RPMs. Porsche obviously intended for the PSE silencer to be easily overridden by putting that orange connector sticking up on a bracket right in front where is is easy to access. They could have just as easily put it far back in the engine compartment where is would be much more difficult to disconnect. Instead of leaving the disconnected cable dangling I strapped it to one of the hoses on the right side with a plastic cable wrap. The only disadvantage is that if I ever want to reconnect the orange connector (unlikely) I would need to cut off that cable wrap.

Quick Reply: Sport exhaust sound