Sponsored by:

New 997.5 cabriolet: To "S" or not to "S"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 117 Posts

S for the following reasons.

1. If you want to consider looks, then 19s and PASM make a big difference. Those 2 options alone are 3,600 or so.
2. It would take at least 7K in mods (exhaust, intake, plenum, software, blah, blah, blah) to get the 40HP difference between the S and NON-S. And those mods are not nearly as reliable as displacement.
3. If you want to consider financial reasons: resale. The extra 7K you spend for an S (assuming you get 19s and PASM) will end up being 3K or less in 5 years upon resale. Not to mention, it will be easier to sell an S as it is more desireable.

Let me add a couple more points. Base price difference in 09 is 10,600 between the S and NON. The brakes are now the same, the lights are now the same and the standard options between the 2 are almost identical, thereby narrowing the difference between the 2 models. Having said that, I really wanted LSD and PASM Sports. So, that means I need PASM and 19" which as I stated is 3,600. So, around 7K difference: that's how I arrived at that. So, is 7K worth it for 40 HP and 22 torque? To me yes and also to me, it's not 7K because when I go to sell, that difference is smaller as you recoup it upon resale. Can I realistically use 40 more HP? Do I drive any Carrera close to it's limits on public roads? Am I a professional driver? No, to all 3, but I always "try" to afford the biggest engine possible as that, to me, is one of the most important parts of the car. I'm sure a lot of it is psychological, but that's fine with me.

Quick Reply: New 997.5 cabriolet: To "S" or not to "S"