Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Much loved PSE - is this the kit? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/449753-much-loved-pse-is-this-the-kit.html)

purrybonker 08-21-2008 01:56 AM

Much loved PSE - is this the kit?

I just noticed this eBay listing by Suncoast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...6861QQtcZphoto

So, if I snag one of these kits and install it, it will tie in with my Sport Chrono button to engage PSE, or are there more goodies needed to skin this cat.

I'm getting tired of all you guys raving about how much you love your PSE and starting to think it might be really nifty with the top down.

Bob in NY 08-21-2008 02:12 AM

Yes, that's it but it may not be that simple to install. The dealer bills installation at 8 hours of labor.

dianic 08-21-2008 05:18 AM

but the sound... that sound...
Once you install you just unplug a cable in the engine compartment and leave it engaged all the time (unless you do highway -then it gets to be too loud at high cruising speeds) and try your fav twisty roads again...

MLindgren 08-21-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by purrybonker (Post 5723480)
I just noticed this eBay listing by Suncoast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...6861QQtcZphoto

So, if I snag one of these kits and install it, it will tie in with my Sport Chrono button to engage PSE, or are there more goodies needed to skin this cat.

I'm getting tired of all you guys raving about how much you love your PSE and starting to think it might be really nifty with the top down.

Great-but weren't you the one complaining about those of us with great sounding exhaust disturbing your American House neighborhood and likened them to Harley Screamin' Eagles?

Matias_S 08-21-2008 10:21 AM

That's it, but the install / integration with the 'Sport' button was a bit of a pain for my dealer. I don't know the exact details but they had to add some wiring and connectors => 340 usd for labor.

Sharptt 08-21-2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matias_S (Post 5723982)
That's it, but the install / integration with the 'Sport' button was a bit of a pain for my dealer. I don't know the exact details but they had to add some wiring and connectors => 340 usd for labor.

That's a very good price for PSE install with integration. I would suggest anyone to try and negotiate the install price ahead of time. An inexperienced technician can take a full day for the install.

Matias_S 08-21-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sharptt (Post 5724277)
That's a very good price for PSE install with integration. I would suggest anyone to try and negotiate the install price ahead of time. An inexperienced technician can take a full day for the install.

Took them 1 1/2 days, maybe labor here is not priced the same as in the US?

sws1 08-21-2008 02:28 PM

If you already have a sport button, it's easier, but still requires wiring into the computer. If you have BOSE, it's extra work. If you don't have sport button, running the wires is extra. My car with Sport button and BOSE took about 5 hours.

adfsouth 08-21-2008 03:43 PM

PSE is great......however, I recently did the Gundo/FisterD exhaust hack and it sounds almost as good for only a few hunderd clams. I simply had an independant Tech weld a 1.75 inch stainless pipe between the muffler's inlet and outlet pipes to partially bi-pass the system just like PSE does. Only downside is that you don't have a switch.....it is always on.

JFScheck 08-21-2008 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dianic (Post 5723636)
unless you do highway -then it gets to be too loud at high cruising speeds

No way - at Highway it still sounds great!!! :rockon:

Deanski 08-21-2008 09:45 PM

Boy, I'm glad I ordered it from factory!:rockon: Sounds like a nightmare in installing post factory.

Best PSE I've heard is one that had 200Cell Sport Cats in with a set of headers. Normal sounds good with a lower sound than normal cats, but hit the button and stab the pedal.... WOW, now that's nice!!!!:thumbup: Best of both worlds! Full WOT while driving with owner sounds like a Cup car at Lime Rock track, man it sounded great. Get off the gas, it settles down to a low smooth sound a bit louder since it's on. Very cool!:rockon:

Deanski

larrytrk 08-21-2008 10:05 PM

Install it with a 12 vollt line and switch, in ash tray, from front fuse box to solonoid. complete on/off control, no DMe control!

Eric_75 08-22-2008 08:29 AM

Don't bother with the full install. It's a waste of money!!! Ask me how I know:surr: Spend the extra money adding the X51 headers to the PSE.

KeninBlaine 08-23-2008 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by larrytrk (Post 5726474)
Install it with a 12 vollt line and switch, in ash tray, from front fuse box to solonoid. complete on/off control, no DMe control!

That is what I did. That way it is a simple on or off, without being tied to engine speed or Sport settings. I installed system myself, along with a set of X51 headers. The lengthiest part of the work was extending switch wiring into the cabin and console area, and to power source. It just takes care and patience but isn't brain surgery. Attached is photo of my ashtray switch.