Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 997 cab - and a hardtop question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
pakoms
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if the pop-ups will deploy if the hard top is in place.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pakoms
Just wondering if the pop-ups will deploy if the hard top is in place.
If the vehicle sensors detect a potential roll over they will.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
As others have stated, the cab has pop-up roll over protection that meets the criteria described above. You will find instructions in your owners manual for deploying them yourself. The statement in bold is the broomstick test. Deploy your roll bars and sit in the car wearing your helmet. A broomstick resting between the top of the windshield and the roll bar should not touch your helmet. When you consider that Mother Earth will replace the broomstick should you go shiny-side down at the track, this test makes perfect sense.
Don't buy the hardtop.
Things have changed in the design since the 996. You cannot 'deploy' the roll bars because they only deploy when the sensors tell them to. (You also cannot retract them yourself, unlike the 996 units).
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
p0rsch3
Intermediate

Congrats on the cab purchase- I just picked up an 06 C2 cab myself. I'm surprised how much stiffer the 997 cab chassis is vs. the 996 cab. One really great convenience mod you may wish to consider is the "SmartTOP" module from www.mods4cars.com - What a GREAT mod, and EZ to install. discount buy over at www.pcars.us from "BlackKnight" member (site admin).

I thought about the hard top but in reality it would just become something else I have to store in the garage... If you want to protect your top from fade / wear / stains, treat it with the RagTOPP kit: http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=193
This is the best, period.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
jjv
Intermediate

That's a beautiful car. I'm on the North Shore too. Well, a bit inland in Middleton, but I grew up in Salem.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jjv:

Thanks for the compliments (all owed to Porsche). We're neighbors - I'm in N. Andover not far from the Middleton line. Lots of enjoyable tree-lined roads out here in the 'burbs, but (in my early driving) nothing beats the on and off ramps of 95 and 495 :-)

Gene
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Default Still waiting on a roll bar verdict from PDA

I sent an email to see if PDA (http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/) would allow my cab to run the track at Watkins Glen with its "factory-equipped rollover protection", as their guidelines indicate. No word yet, though I have about 2,000 reasons to hope the answer is yes. Would much prefer not to have to deal with a hardtop (cost, mounting, driving, storage) if I can avoid it.

Meanwhile, tomorrow my car is with a local electronics whiz who is installing Bluetooth and (an imperceptibly mounted) satellite radio so I can bring my 05 997 up to 2008/9 standards. His "loaner" car is a 1982 MB 560 SEL, fully loaded (incl. nav and radar detection), tints, AMG wheels, burnished wood steering wheel -- everything. Even has FastLane transponder and coins if needed. Nice experience for 24 hours, a throwback to early 80s luxury. Even better will be getting my 911 back tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the input. If the FROP (factory rollover protection, that is) will suffice for tracking my car, then the electronics upgrades are already paid for.

Gene

Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Default Response from HPDE organizer (still not 100% clear)

Here's what I got back from the PDA school director:

"Open cars with factory “roll over” protection are normally allowed at the Glen but the “broom stick” rule will apply. If you are a very tall driver and our tech staff feels that your head would extend above the line from the top of the windshield to the top of pop up bars, they may not let you run. Having a hardtop will solve the potential problem."

I'm 6 feet tall. With helmet on maybe 6-1 or 6-2 (?). It's hard to tell if the activated pop-up bars (post #13) actually do extend above the headrests or not. I assume so (why wouldn't they?). If so, I should be good without the hardtop. Most opinions here are not to buy it (easy call when tracking would be its only use), but I'd hate to get to the track and be sent home. Those who know the specs, bar height, etc., -- any thoughts?

Gene

Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Good luck finding an engineering drawing that has the popup bars documented with dimensions. Perhaps a 996 owner can deploy his and you can measure them.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Speed
Pro

I bought a 996 hardtop for my 997 cab and it was $1500 with the retrofit. My previous Porsche was a 996 cab with the HT and there were some slight rattling issues but they've been solved as my current HT doesn't make a sound under any driving conditions. I happen to love the look of the car with the HT. I put it on thanksgiving weekend and take it off April 1. And it's no big deal to put on; takes about a minute.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Yeah, it's looking as though I'll need to buy one if I want to run on the track.

Speed: did you get yours from a dealer or private party? Finding one privately seems near impossible. A local dealer here quoted me $2,000, which includes the $500 retrofit hardware/labor, so I may have to go that route.

Gene
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Speed
Pro

Check out this post that I wrote detailing how I got my hard top. https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=12

The key is to shop around your local dealers. No body is breaking down their doors to buy 996 HT's and you may find a dealer who's willing to be more reasonable on price just to get rid of something that's taking up space. The dealer I used had a conference room filled with HT's in just about every color.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Default May not need the HT after all

I stopped by the dealer where they offered me a matching color 996 hardtop for $2000 installed. The various roofs they have (about 20 in all) are all gathering dust in a storage area. Some have been left by former owners who sold their cars and abandoned them. As you say, deals could be had by shopping around I'm sure. I haven't tried to do that yet. I'm still considering whether or not I actually need one for the 2-3x a year I'll be tracking my car.

As it happens, my 997 (and I suspect all that did not have the HT option) is absent all mounting hardware. When we popped the circular mounting covers on the retracted cabrio, there was only a piece of plastic inside - no threaded mounting "feet". The parts manager began tallying the price for all needed parts to retrofit the 996 top, and he got up to $1,100 and still not sure he had them all. I'm standing there wondering "do I really need to take this to the track?"

Meanwhile, the service tech (who swears there are a number of non-HT 997 cabs running on tracks in New England) offered a better alternative: how about if we pop the factory roll bars in the shop, measure the heights (and take pictures with a ruler), and even do the broomstick test with me in the seat (and photograph that)? He said he can pop them out and retract them again - although he added that I would not be able to do that. Seems like a great idea that could benefit others too, so I'm going to move ahead with that approach in the coming week or two. I'll report what we find (with pics).

Gene
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Gene,
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.
I would really like to know the height of the roll bars myself.
Can't wait for your report.

Don't forget your helmet when you take pictures with the broom stick.

Question. Why do you insist on this track outfit?
Do they provide something you like vs maybe local PCA DE events?
Non of our PCA track days (several regions and several diff. tracks) require the hardtop.
Have you check with PCA?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

kw - good question... the reason I'm trying to comply with the PDA group is that my son and a group of his car buddies do the Watkins Glen weekend every year in Oct, and I thought that's as good a time as any to get out on the track and spend time together. I have not looked into any others as yet (I've only had the car for a month!). If they're less restrictive then I could be good as is. I will check into it - thanks.

Quick Reply: My new 997 cab - and a hardtop question