Sponsored by:

Dension BT mic in factory position = not so hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dension BT mic in factory position = not so hot

A number of the dension BT threads have had discussions about mic positioning. I've given up on mounting the thing in the steering column - all I get is complaints unless I start yelling into the guage cluster. I tried setting the mic at different angles behind the little factory grille, all to no positive avail.

I'm back to just wedging the mic into the right side of the gap between the top of the column and the bottom of the guage cluster. This gets the mic pointing toward me and seems to give the best results. It's also pretty much invisible there - you'd have to go looking for it to see it.

With this positioning, the complaint frequency has declined considerably, except from my girl-friend. However, I have a suspicion that those particular complaints are somewhat less related to the position of the mic than they are to the words flowing into it.

Anyone found a better position?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Just beside dome lamp is best.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 PM
purrybonker
Pro

How's that dome lamp mount work out when driving with the top down?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 AM
azjyaazjya
Intermediate

Hey Purrybonker

Whilst you're waiting for replies, can I ask you where you got the Denison installed? I'm also located in Vancouver and am curious...

Ta
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 AM
purrybonker
Pro

I installed it myself, it's really pretty straightforward - the instructions are just a bit less comprehensive than they could be. The MCL and Weissach boys didn't seem to know anything about it, so doing it myself seemed like the best option.

I'd be happy to show you my install and/or watch you do your's - I'm down in Coal Harbour. Drop me a PM - but I'm out of town 'till next week though. If you'd really rather not get involved, I'd take the whole kit-and-kaboodle and Eric's email/phone number over to Weissach, they'd probably do it for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got my steering column all apart right now. Sounds like I won't be putting the mic in the factory position. I had it up next to the visor on the left side, and it worked quite well so long as I wasn't going 100 mph with the top down.

I too installed myself - very easy to do.

Cheers to Eric for a good solution!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 AM
W211
Racer

I had my Dension installed by a guy in Burnaby, can show what he has done to my car, PM me.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 AM
W211
Racer

I had my Dension installed by a guy in Burnaby, can show what he has done to my car, PM me.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Lblackman
Advanced

I had my installed in Burnaby as well -- Audiolines - 5354 Grimmer Street. They knew what to do to install. Big "Watch Out" ... swing by MCL before installation and make sure you have the PCM module switched to read "CD Changer" and "Telephone" module. I had all sorts of problems with mine because it wasn't done. Eric was very patient with me - I finally got it sorted out on Tuesday.

If you have had the Gateway unit installed, and not had the CD changer activated or the phone activated, when you go into MCL make sure the switch on the AUX box is switched to the up position. Otherwise the MCL tester module will get VERY confused. Also make sure you have the most up to date software on the unit. I went through the update procedure several times while I was trying to get my unit to work, so have it pretty well mastered. Something that AudioLines did for me when they installed was to run a USB cable from the unit to the side of the foot well for easy software updates. (Unit is installed behind the PCM head unit on the center console).

On mic placement, I tried the dome light location with mixed results. Since, I have pulled the mic toward me, and it is now clipped onto the edge of the sunroof opening right above my head. It seems to work much better there - few complaints since that move. I need to pull the head liner down now and run the cable in behind to hide it.

Lorne
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

For my Nav-TV Tooki I am planning to move it over to the A column near the visor hinge. On top, offset to the right, of the steering wheel shaft isn't too clear with some of my friends.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:08 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I put my mic directly above the factory position upside down to the right Tach.

I don't notice it and seems to work OK. Much better than the factory spot for this mic.

Quick Reply: Dension BT mic in factory position = not so hot