Sponsored by:

Nav-TV iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav-TV iPod connection

Howdy folks - Does anyone have any experience using this iPod direct connection? Any comments as compared to Dension?

http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_ipod.php

Local shop (Hurley's in McLean) quoted $800 installed, and says it's the "best" in market.

Cheers,
Leonardo
Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not one to normally respond with "use the search function", but in this case you will find a ton of info, both in terms of operation and comparison.

By the way, many/most of us here use the Dension. It is a relatively easy DIY.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Leo, email me anytime for questions on ipod/bluetooth, happy to tell you what I know.

Both Dension and this other unit you reference will work fine. For bluetooth, Tooki is a good stand alone solution. If you want iPod and BT together, Dension is the answer. If you want a relatively easy to use, easy install iPod solution, or iPod and BT, Dension is the answer. Over the past year or two, the NavTV iPod solution has tended to be buggy, while the Dension iPod solution has done very well and plenty of Rennlisters will surely chime in here.

Not to say the NavTV product won't do the trick, BUT if you are just looking for iPod, I'd strongly suggest Dension first. And we can help you with either unit.

Thanks.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Thanks for the info, Eric and Jeff!

Yeah, I did the search and most of the responses were geared towards Dension. Was looking for specific experience with Nav-TV.

Cheers,
L
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It's now a factory options on 09 997's.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeonardoC2S
Howdy folks - Does anyone have any experience using this iPod direct connection? Any comments as compared to Dension?

http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_ipod.php

Local shop (Hurley's in McLean) quoted $800 installed, and says it's the "best" in market.

Cheers,
Leonardo
Leonardo, I just had the latest NAV-TV iPod module installed yesterday. It's supposed to address all of the bugs from Gen I (and I had quite a few). So far, so good, but we'll see how it goes. I don't have any experience with the Dension unit, so I can't offer a basis for comparison. What I can say is the NAV-TV controls are intuitive and allows the use with the multi-function steering wheel (like on mine). The iPod connector is in the glovebox for a stealthy and clean look, plus the latest unit has a USB connection for future updates via a laptop. Everything works as expected thus far, so I'm happy with the results. I'd like to emphasize the customer service has been stellar also.

No affiliations, of course.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just curious if anyone outside of the Cayenne forum is using the mObridge MOST iPod interface module?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ucube
Leonardo, I just had the latest NAV-TV iPod module installed yesterday. It's supposed to address all of the bugs from Gen I (and I had quite a few). So far, so good, but we'll see how it goes. I don't have any experience with the Dension unit, so I can't offer a basis for comparison. What I can say is the NAV-TV controls are intuitive and allows the use with the multi-function steering wheel (like on mine). The iPod connector is in the glovebox for a stealthy and clean look, plus the latest unit has a USB connection for future updates via a laptop. Everything works as expected thus far, so I'm happy with the results. I'd like to emphasize the customer service has been stellar also.

No affiliations, of course.
Cheers Charlie! Thanks for the feedback on the Nav-TV unit! I reviewed each products' site, install & users manuals, etc. and I found the the Nav-TV to be more descriptive and informative. Glad to hear it's working well. Hurley's is a reputable, local car audio shop, but just wanted to get user feedback.

Thanks again!
Leo
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeonardoC2S
Cheers Charlie! Thanks for the feedback on the Nav-TV unit! I reviewed each products' site, install & users manuals, etc. and I found the the Nav-TV to be more descriptive and informative. Glad to hear it's working well. Hurley's is a reputable, local car audio shop, but just wanted to get user feedback.

Thanks again!
Leo
You're welcome, Leo. A reputable installer is definitely a must. At first, I was a little concerned to learn the local installer recommended by NAV-TV was a non-Porsche dealer. After finding out it's the same shop that performed various installs for the Houston sports athletes, however, I realized I needn't worry. If they're good enough for Olajuwon, T-mac, Horry, Clemens, and Mario Williams, then they're more than good enough for me!

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
just curious if anyone outside of the Cayenne forum is using the mObridge MOST iPod interface module?
I installed one, Its the only one that will work with CDR

Mark
Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not true. The Dension works fine with CDR units.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
simplysql
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,
will the Dension unit allow me to hook up XM and an iPod? Do I lose the CD changer in the process (not that it matters).
Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Retains CD changer.
Yes on Sat Radio.
Yes on iPod.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Not true. The Dension works fine with CDR units.
Well that inof would have been great when i did it 6 months ago... LOL...

Mark
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

6 months ago the Dual FIOS Dension Units may not have been out. My unit was not capable of it!

Quick Reply: Nav-TV iPod connection