Sponsored by:

Muffler Hack

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Muffler Hack

Finally had it done locally by Jay Putnam Engineering here in delray beach. Used an ~ 2" connector pipe to the existing OEM cans. All I can say is...DAMN!! Sounds incredible. On blipped downshifts, the sound is racecar raw, and on acceleration, the sound is intoxicating. By far, the best mod I have done, and once again, BIG KUDOS to Jay and his professionalism. Anyone that lives in South Florida should connect with this gent.

I'll try and post sound pics if and when I can figure it out.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 AM
buz3rd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thinking to do this just wondering why do people do this on a used set of muffler cans?

cant they do it on existing?

warranty issues?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hi there a) yes, can do on existing cans b) I did on used ones, such that either if I did not like it, or sold the car, I could put the OEM cans back on as for warranty, I can't imagine any issues, especially if you keep the original ones to put back on
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! post some pics if you can please
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by buz3rd
great thinking to do this just wondering why do people do this on a used set of muffler cans?

cant they do it on existing?

warranty issues?
Like Cole I had a used set hacked in the event I didn't care for the new setup. I've since donated my set to another Rennlister who previously had bypass pipes and thought they were too loud.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Finally had it done locally by Jay Putnam Engineering here in delray beach. Used an ~ 2" connector pipe to the existing OEM cans. All I can say is...DAMN!! Sounds incredible. On blipped downshifts, the sound is racecar raw, and on acceleration, the sound is intoxicating. By far, the best mod I have done, and once again, BIG KUDOS to Jay and his professionalism. Anyone that lives in South Florida should connect with this gent.

Ask, and ye shall receive!

Here are my "can't miss" instructions for posting a pic. These instructions have NEVER failed to help someone post pics, so the pressure is on YOU to keep my string alive!

All words shown in BOLD indicate buttons. If you are just doing a "Quick Reply" you will have to click on Go Advanced button. Then follow the steps below:

Down below the part of the screen where you type the text and below the Submit Reply, the Preview Post, and Spell Check buttons, there is a Miscellaneous Options section followed by an Attach Files section.

In the Attach Files section, click on the Manage Attachments button.

You will now get a pop-up window. There are 3 buttons Browse, Upload, and Close this Window.

Click on the Browse button and now (in a new pop-up window) you can search on your PC to locate the pic you want to attach. Click on the name of the file you want and then click the Open button. Now click on the Upload button. After the file has been uploaded, you can click on Browse button and repeat the process to upload another pic or click on the Close this Window button.

After you click on the Close this Window, you will be back to the original "message" screen. Your pic file should be listed just above the Manage Attachments button.

If you are finished typing the text, you can click on the Submit Reply button and everyone will be able to see your great looking P-car!

If your pics are too large, you can resize them with MS Paint, or PhotoShop software, or you can do it online at this web site. http://www.resize2mail.com/
Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a sound clip!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI: No waranty concerns if it's post Cat.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
buz3rd
Track Day

oh my i just did custom muffler bypass with burnt titanium tips .. the sound is LOUD..

i also managed to hear sort of what the muffler hacked sounded like... Guy just removed the clamps and left a gap allowing some air to bypass the mufflers;sort of a partial bypass i guess similar to the muffler hack.

I showed him the pics of where most of you guys do the connecting pipe and he told me that i could locate it nearer to the inlets to have even more bypass.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 132 Posts

I did this last year!
Go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0NpWNAj78

This is my 997 with a $150 modification and 2 hours of work.....

Matt
Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328

Is it louder than the PSE with the vaccum hose pulled?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM
buz3rd
Track Day

what is the vaccum hose?

also i think the car can be louder if you do this....

Connecting pipe in the green line..

more bypass effect

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 AM
buz3rd
Track Day

Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by buz3rd
what is the vaccum hose?
also i think the car can be louder if you do this....

Connecting pipe in the green line..

more bypass effect

The vacuum hose is on the PSE mufflers. It opens/closes a damper in the muffler that allos exhaust to exit from the 1st of 3 chambers in the muffler. If the damper is open the mufflers are louder. Disconnecting the vacuum hose causes the damper to be in the open position at all times.

Here is a pic from the Porsche web site showing 997 PSE mufflers. They are true dual exanust for each muffler because there are two exhaust outlets per muffler.
  • The larger exhaust tip (outboard) connects to the pipe exiting the center of the muffler (just like non-PSE mufflers).
  • The smaller exhaust tip (inboard) connects to the pipe exiting the end (or top in the pic) of the muffler. This exhaust pipe can be opened or closed via the vacuum controlled damper mentioned above.

This is why many guys chose to mimic this design by cutting off the nipple and adding an extra pipe leading from the muffler and joining it to the exhaust (outlet) pipe. See second pic.

However, the mod you were discussing will have the same effect, and maybe a little more sound. I am not sure how much louder the "green line" connection would be compared to the location on moded muffler. I am guessing it would be minimal.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 AM
buz3rd
Track Day

Hi thanks really useful comment there.

the pic you showed has an additional outlet pipe indeed.

May i ask how big a hole is drilled in the nipple and how big a pipe is required?

Do you have soundclip for this?

what is this called?

however, i am wondering, how does this create a louder noise?

Is the true Pse like this?

Quick Reply: Muffler Hack