Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche IPOD connection review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Porsche IPOD connection review...

Today I installed the first Porsche IPOD connector that has been done in our shop. Overall my first impression was mixed... The connector that goes into the armrest is nice, I REALLY like the fact it gives you an IPOD connection and a 3.5mm headphone jack. I did see something i didnt like, it is RF modulated, as opposed to using the MOST loop... I must say, this disapointed me. But i understand this is a compromise to allow the retension of the cd changer. The install is much more involved than doing any of the aftermarket options, I have done NAV-TV, MO-BRIDGE etc.. Complete removal of the center console is necessary, and you lose your 12v power outlet in the armrest. It gets its power, ground, and remote signal from the radio where you need to unpin, crimp and re-pin the radio connector. And it uses a modulator box that you mount behind the PCM/CDR that goes in series with the antenna. and the harness from the center console connects to. Just like the old time cd-changers you have to tune to a certain station then the radio goes into AUX mode, the CDR has no control over the IPOD and i dont believe the PCM will either unless its a different kit, so you do all your inputs from the IPOD which I honestly believe will save some frustration on the user end, I have customers still trying to figure out the features of the aftermarket units. I was pleasntly surprised at the quality of the music, to me it sounded just as good as through the MOST loop.

Mark
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Mark, very good review. I had the same setup although not as tidy as the OEM physically, the sound quality was OK until my current setup thru the MOST which is like night and day.

Thanks again, very usefull
Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
...I did see something i didnt like, it is RF modulated, as opposed to using the MOST loop... I must say, this disapointed me. But i understand this is a compromise to allow the retension of the cd changer.....
This is only due to the fact that PAG did not want to have to pay for new PCM code and deploy it. You can have multiple 'CDC' units on the ring; one could be a CDC4, one could be an iPod....you would simply cycle thru the various 'CDC' units by pressing the CD button.
As a matter of fact, very early PCM code supported 2 CDC on the ring; if an 'unknown' device was detected, it was assumed to be a CDC......but those days are long gone.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:38 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
This is only due to the fact that PAG did not want to have to pay for new PCM code and deploy it. You can have multiple 'CDC' units on the ring; one could be a CDC4, one could be an iPod....you would simply cycle thru the various 'CDC' units by pressing the CD button.
As a matter of fact, very early PCM code supported 2 CDC on the ring; if an 'unknown' device was detected, it was assumed to be a CDC......but those days are long gone.
I have noticed that you have quite a bit of information that even i havent heard.. not saying i'm high on the food chain but... Not that i disagree with what you said, but it seems they could have just included the update with the kit??? I DO believe that Porsche doesnt want people messing with the precious most loop so maybe thats it...

Mark
Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you might find that being part of the development team helps. ;-)
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by mudman2
Hmmm... Welll that might play a small role... LOL...

Mark
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
I prefer the official title "Supreme Technical Dictator for Life"
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 AM
hike737
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These were my comments I sent to my dealer.

As you are aware recently I requested Porsche Azerbaijan to procure and install the Ipod adapter in my Cayenne. Right after the installation I found out what a useless piece of equipment Porsche has developed at such a high price: there is no functionality of the adapter whatsoever. You can not control Ipod by no means other than stop the car, open the armrest box, pull out the Ipod find a song, put it back and drive away – what a disappointment! In fact, it is not safe to have a such thing in a car!

Moreover, at that price there are a number of alternatives that have much better sound quality, e.g. Mobridge, Dension, etc. Another perfect example - an adapter I used to have in my 2002 BMW X5 – it was a $150 connector that gave full control over an Ipod through the stock audio system and steering wheel button – this was 6 years ago!

Therefore, I requested to remove this interface from my vehicle. Please pass on my comments to Porshce Exclusive and Tequipment department.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by hike737
These were my comments I sent to my dealer.

As you are aware recently I requested Porsche Azerbaijan to procure and install the Ipod adapter in my Cayenne. Right after the installation I found out what a useless piece of equipment Porsche has developed at such a high price: there is no functionality of the adapter whatsoever. You can not control Ipod by no means other than stop the car, open the armrest box, pull out the Ipod find a song, put it back and drive away – what a disappointment! In fact, it is not safe to have a such thing in a car!

Moreover, at that price there are a number of alternatives that have much better sound quality, e.g. Mobridge, Dension, etc. Another perfect example - an adapter I used to have in my 2002 BMW X5 – it was a $150 connector that gave full control over an Ipod through the stock audio system and steering wheel button – this was 6 years ago!

Therefore, I requested to remove this interface from my vehicle. Please pass on my comments to Porshce Exclusive and Tequipment department.
sounds like a piece of crap.. but why not know what you're buying before you buy? even a cursory examination would have revealed this information to you.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I agree you have to look before you buy, but there is a reasonable expectation that the Porsche item would be better than 1993 technology.

In other news, I was a passenger in a Honda Element last weekend which has full IPOD controls built right into the head unit. Lovely...

Last edited by Vitamin_J; 07-29-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: arrrgh, typing too fast.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd settle for a stinkin' $6 line in plug. $114,000 MSRP mind you.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NYNick
I'd settle for a stinkin' $6 line in plug. $114,000 MSRP mind you.
Request denied.
Believe it or not, it was part of the baseline design.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

However, PCM3.0 has addressed many of the 'creature comfort complaints' that have piled up over the years.

Widescreen touchscreen
Hard disk drive
Bluetooth
iPod
USB/CF
yadayada.

And, no, it's not retrofittable into PCM2.x vehicles (well actually it is, but Porsche won't allow it....sort of like Porsche not offering/allowing SAT radio in the Carreras/Boxsters....untils someone mentioned you can simply install the Cayenne SAT radio kit.....no names please)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
However, PCM3.0 has addressed many of the 'creature comfort complaints' that have piled up over the years.

Widescreen touchscreen
Hard disk drive
Bluetooth
iPod
USB/CF
yadayada.

And, no, it's not retrofittable into PCM2.x vehicles (well actually it is, but Porsche won't allow it....sort of like Porsche not offering/allowing SAT radio in the Carreras/Boxsters....untils someone mentioned you can simply install the Cayenne SAT radio kit.....no names please)
It's amazing that some of those are still "upgrades" that cost above and beyond the cost of the PCM.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by InTheAir
It's amazing that some of those are still "upgrades" that cost above and beyond the cost of the PCM.
Not when you realize that Marketing runs Porsche, Engineering takes a back seat on ALL matters....such is the way under Dr. W.

Quick Reply: New Porsche IPOD connection review...