Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car back, coil overs, B/M, pedal set, H/R Spacers, Powder Calipers etc... -pics-

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Fake look alike PCCBs? Why do that?
I guess for me I am proud to have the real thing and guys that paint theirs yellow just diminishes the uniqueness of that systems look, from afar anyway. Kind of like putting RUF center caps on non-RUF wheels or even putting a “Turbo” badge on the back of a non-turbo. This reminds me when I had my M3 I saw a 325i with an M3 on the back. He was parked next to me. His opinion was since he had bought the larger M wheels and had some light engine work and suspension improvements it was just “like” and M3. Pathetic in my opinion. I would expect that from some ricer or low end BMW owner but not from someone with a 997.
Red, black as well as yellow brake calipers on Porsches actually mean something. Well to most people anyway.
Let me guess your next mod, a 997S badge to put on the rear deck lid?

Please, Lord, tell me you don't have PCCB's on your CABRIOLET? Nothing says 'you're trying to impress' then that.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Not trying to impress at all. Like the look, really like no brake dust more.

Seems to me more your thing however by the looks of your avatar.

I think you missed the point entirely however.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to impress at all. Like the look, really like no brake dust more.

Seems to me more your thing however by the looks of your avatar.

I think you missed the point entirely however.
i'm sorry but i agree with not painting the calipers to make them look like an upgrade without the real thing. to each his own, i'm sure.

however, putting PCCB's because you like the look? brake dust reduction for $10k? i don't see it.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To the OP, great looking car! You have very unique mods that truly make it your own. Regarding the calipers, I knew you'd get some attention.

I don't understand the fuss over yellow calipers. I know where you all are coming from as i've received flack for my for the last 2 years even though they're metallic pearl yellow and a lighter shade. I honestly just love the contrast of the yellow caliper on black, and for all the purists worried about 'us' trying to deceive people that we have PCCB's should know better. I can't speak for everyone that does it, but I have no intent of deception because those who even know what PCCB's are would know right away that they aren't PCCB's due to the caliper size and more obviously, the rotors. To everyone else, it's just a yellow caliper that looks good against my black wheels and black car. I wouldn't care if PCCB's were orange, green, blue, or red, i'd still paint my calipers yellow for the visual appeal.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice looking car! I, for one, love the yellow calipers on your gray car.
To the critics: Yellow calipers pre-dated PCCBs by many years. I had them as a factory option on a black 993 C2S and they looked great. I had them (aftermarket) on a 993 turbo S look-alike (see this month's Excellence), and I have them (from the factory) on my PCCB-equipped 997S. And I am sure that, as we speak, you can factory order any color caliper you want on whatever brake setup your car has.
Superb taste, young man.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Brend,
Nothing for you to see in regards to my PCCBs and why I have them. My business, but they are real. My original post however, stated that I disagreed with the deceptive yellow PCCB look. This is a Porsche enthusiast forum, would you expect otherwise.
Imagine on a Rolex forum if a poster uploaded pictures of the fake he purchased on Canal Street to achieve the look of the real thing and then basically said, “Hey guys, look at this!” Do you suppose someone would say something?
The point is on a 997 yellow calipers mean PCCB. If you want to be deceptive on a Porsche Forum I would expect someone to balk at it. For me I am proud of what I have and don’t try to make it look like something it’s not.
Keep in mind this is just my opinion. But now I also wonder if the RUF wheels are real or fakes with RUF center caps installed.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, this is interesting. :-)

i'd love to have pccb's but did not see the value personally, esp wrt long term maintenance. my point remains that i would only buy them for the performance - at that price.

these cars are like harley's regarding how you can customize them and how personal much of that is. fine by me.

as for painting the calipers & 997driver's comments, i like the color of the yellow ones, just as i like the red on my car. matching the pccb's seems a bit unauthentic to me but i'd wager a high percentage of porche owners would still think they're pccb's. i like the idea of painting them to accent them. however, i personally would not do it to match an upgrade just as i wouldn't put "turbo" on the back of my S.

just my 2 cents
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea brend, I think it's all on the owner's intent. Painting them to make others believe it's PCCB is lame and is exactly like mis-badging a car with the intent to deceive.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess for me I am proud to have the real thing and guys that paint theirs yellow just diminishes the uniqueness of that systems look, from afar anyway. Kind of like putting RUF center caps on non-RUF wheels or even putting a “Turbo” badge on the back of a non-turbo. This reminds me when I had my M3 I saw a 325i with an M3 on the back. He was parked next to me. His opinion was since he had bought the larger M wheels and had some light engine work and suspension improvements it was just “like” and M3. Pathetic in my opinion. I would expect that from some ricer or low end BMW owner but not from someone with a 997.
Red, black as well as yellow brake calipers on Porsches actually mean something. Well to most people anyway.
What a angry little man!

To the OP:Looks great. I like the contrast of the yellow calipers. In fact, I think they'd look great on my midnight blue cab. If you don't mind, what did they charge for the powdercoat? I also like the look of the RUF wheels, real or otherwise.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default OK will try to educate you but have a feeling it will get no where....

I had to laugh when I read this, as I could see your sad little hands pecking away trying to make a genuine point, hoping it would gain tons of support but all that came out was blah blah blah.... the true Purist I believe recognizes modding as much as those that mod their car appreciate the reasons why some owners keep their cars 100% stock.... I for one appreciate both sides as many do here.

OK here goes..... trying to offer you a free clinic so please pay attention:

The wheels are real RUF in case you couldn't tell, I can ping you direct with the RUF stamp on the inside of the wheel if that will help you sleep better at night? ........ The Front chin spoiler is Hamman imported from Germany. I added dual exhaust tips as well, had them ceramic coated black and they look great, does that make you even more upset as the tips came from an
997S .....You better sit down for this one.... I have an exhaust by-pass valve.... so sounds a little like PSE but it is NOT! OMG, you must be almost ready to faint at this point Mr Poser Purist.... Mr I have real PCCB and I need to let everyone know it man...

Its called customizing your car, making it unique, different, etc... Painting of a caliper, modifying your exhaust tips, adding a front chin spoiler that may resemble that of an older gen 993gt2 is not being a poser. Even noted in the post "I Powder coated my brakes" sharing with all they are clearly not PCCB's..... Your sad and reaching comparison of adding an M emblem onto a none M BMW car to one powdercoating a part on a car shows your true ignorance.

I could go on and on but already know the type of person you are. No matter the points made, no matter the reason, you will stand on your box and preach.
I know your type, have never taken your car to the track, have never even driven it close to its potential, and the best part of ownership for you is the smile you get from the teenager valet parker who is impressed by your car...... not by the true driving experience the car offers. You said it yourself you paid XXX$$$ for less brake dust and the looks of PCCB's not for what the PCCB's offer in the performance category.... Who is the real poser here?

If I had in fact added a turbo emblem to a none turbo car, or a gt3 front nose and badging to my 997 narrow, you would have had a real case here and I think a lot more support.....but simply not the case.

good evening...... and hope you enjoyed your free tutorial.

Last edited by mickfluff; 07-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default hey thanks....

Thanks, I have seen someone do them in orange and believe it or not looked pretty nice.... but a bit to much for me. To do it correctly your looking at $375 from the paint shop which includes a true porsche script painted on, not a sticker cleared over. Then the cost to have all 4 removed calipers, prepped, cleaned for paint shop, pads removed etc etc and then re-installed.... I had brakes blead as well. Thats another roughly 350+ to pay someone for this portion.

I think on a Blue car they would look great.... and by the way the RUFs are real....

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
What a angry little man!

To the OP:Looks great. I like the contrast of the yellow calipers. In fact, I think they'd look great on my midnight blue cab. If you don't mind, what did they charge for the powdercoat? I also like the look of the RUF wheels, real or otherwise.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Agreed

yes agreed....If in posting I stated, "I added new PCCB's" that would be a whole heck of a lot different....just love the yellow contrast.

Originally Posted by 997driver
Yea brend, I think it's all on the owner's intent. Painting them to make others believe it's PCCB is lame and is exactly like mis-badging a car with the intent to deceive.

Last edited by mickfluff; 07-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default 2 dif worlds IMO

all entitled to ones own opinion but to compare adding a turbo emblem to a non turbo car to this is not even in the same league..... or even in the same stratesphere. Surprised some would take it this far as far as comparing the two?

Originally Posted by brendorenn
well, this is interesting. :-)

i'd love to have pccb's but did not see the value personally, esp wrt long term maintenance. my point remains that i would only buy them for the performance - at that price.

these cars are like harley's regarding how you can customize them and how personal much of that is. fine by me.

as for painting the calipers & 997driver's comments, i like the color of the yellow ones, just as i like the red on my car. matching the pccb's seems a bit unauthentic to me but i'd wager a high percentage of porche owners would still think they're pccb's. i like the idea of painting them to accent them. however, i personally would not do it to match an upgrade just as i wouldn't put "turbo" on the back of my S.

just my 2 cents
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default hey thanks....

really apprecaite the good words....thank you.

sincerely did not try and offend any purists here on on the road..... a bit shocked some are making such comparisons about turbo badging a none turbo car. Maybe they feel it strengthens their position in either their decision to pay for a certain upgrade or land them closer to the highest of holy rennlist purist when they pass....

I love the purists here, well most of them, their knowledge and appreciation for what rolls from the factory floor I truly commend. but also love to mod cars, have for years and always will.

thanks again for the kind reply....

Originally Posted by lthatch
Really nice looking car! I, for one, love the yellow calipers on your gray car.
To the critics: Yellow calipers pre-dated PCCBs by many years. I had them as a factory option on a black 993 C2S and they looked great. I had them (aftermarket) on a 993 turbo S look-alike (see this month's Excellence), and I have them (from the factory) on my PCCB-equipped 997S. And I am sure that, as we speak, you can factory order any color caliper you want on whatever brake setup your car has.
Superb taste, young man.

Last edited by mickfluff; 07-16-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks

Hamman is the make, german, and its fitted on factory 997 bumper. Thanks

Originally Posted by J1SD
Can you tell me what kind of front lip that is? OEM bumper? Looks great.

Quick Reply: Car back, coil overs, B/M, pedal set, H/R Spacers, Powder Calipers etc... -pics-