Sponsored by:

Tooki bluetooth survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here are the problems that I'm having:

1- 25% of the time my phone won't connect. Either it outright doesn't pair, or it does, but you can't receive calls or dial out.

2- The bluetooth unit seems not to power off. I'm concerned it will drain the battery when I travel. e.g.; after the car was off for a few hours, my phone detected the tooki on bluetooth.

3- Firmware updates to the Parrot (OEM hardware) and the tooki itself are unreliable. Updater crashes, and incompatible with Dell hardware.

4- Address book doesn't transfer over correctly. It did w/ my wife's iphone, but not with my Windows Mobile phone.

5- Firmware upgrades coming out every month or so does not inspire confidence!

6- When it does work, it works great, however... the mic (mine mounted on the drivers sun shade) is good, and it properly interrupts the stereo music. Being able to use the dial pad on the stereo is a big plus too.

Being an engineer in a software company, it seems to me that the Tooki folks need better developers.... it's still a Beta product at best, IMO.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Have had it for 2 months, no problems. Have not updated though.

I found a better mic to use that is compatible and is tiny compared to the one supplied (about 1/3 the size). the new mic also has better pick-up (much clearer).
I have also found that if the volume is up too high the person on the other end will hear an echo.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

OK, one more observation. I had a Windows Mobile 6 phone, and had the problems cited earlier.

I now have an iphone, and an early impression (1 day) is that it works much better with the Tooki.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:26 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Hi MJFDDS -

Where did you find the microphone?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Doc j...is your mic up at the dome lamp, or on the a-pillar or steering column?
at the dome lamp
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using it with a Blackberry Curve as well.
Let me just comment on an earlier remark to test. The power down question. I too had the same concern and asked the tooki forum about it, apparently, the car needs to be locked for the tooki to power down. Leaving it in the garage unlocked could mean that it stays on? I too got it to connect with the car long after I had come home, but when I locked it one day and went around the car and specifically searched for active devices it wasnt found...

My biggest issue (after only one software upgrade - the May one) is that sometimes, often, when I use the PCM pad to dial the audio gets lost, and doesnt recover. As I have a pretty large phonebook and dont care for a transfer as the PCM lookup is pathetic, its not often I use the keypad of the car. Having said that, for the amount of money this costs, I consider its standard completely unacceptable. The fact that I have the skill (not a very important skill of course, but nonetheless I am sure there are lots of people out there that dont - like my dad for example!!!) to upgrade it myself is besides the point, I am sure that many of us dont have the time to deal with this kind of cr@p - the last upgrade I did I did at midnight!! in the car, outside with a laptop inside - I am sure my neighbours were thinking my wife was at home and I was downloading **** or something in the car!!!

I think the comment about it clearly being a beta sums it up well. I would certainly not do it again.

Quick Reply: Tooki bluetooth survey