Sponsored by:

cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cracked windshield

So, it's a beautiful day, and I'm driving down the Hutchinson River Parkway in the 997, when a small rock gets kicked up by a car in front of me and smacks into my front windshield. I now have a nice crack in the windshield about 4 inches long.

Would appreciate views on where to get a new windshield. The dealership would be my obvious option, but I recall reading somewhere that American glass is superior to German glass. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Guys I know would probably start at Paddock or Deman.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I recently replace the windshield on my 997 as well -- I got a chip on the way to the Peachstate club race and it cracked that night.

Safelite replaced the windshield with, as near as I can tell, factory glass. I think the volume on these cars is so low there's only one supplier of glass and its the same one the factory uses it. I believe the dealers outsource this job to a glass company as well.

It most likely won't be an issue, but ask to inspect the new glass before it goes on the car. Many years ago I replaced the windshield on my M3 and the shop put a piece with a HUGE knot right in front of the driver's seat on. They replaced it at their expense, but it was still a hassle and an extra day to get it done.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Years ago they used to get glass here in the states from another source,--within the USA. It was far better at resisting chipping that the European stuff,--but the newer windshields are so complex with embedded antennas, etc. that I would suspect we have to go with OEM only. Just make sure a competent shop installs it, fully gluing it in. An amazing amount of body strength is now possible by them gluing them in.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Thanks al.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:08 PM
atleung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had to replace mine, the dealer ordered an OEM part but outsourced the installation to an auto glass shop. Make sure whoever does yours is not as careless as my installer. The glass seems to be on OK, but he broke a trim piece along the passenger b-pillar and left the other one loose no (to mention dirty finger prints all over). What was much much worse was he evidently did something to the vent trim pieces on the dash causing a very annoying rattle that took me 9 months to find.

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
So, it's a beautiful day, and I'm driving down the Hutchinson River Parkway in the 997, when a small rock gets kicked up by a car in front of me and smacks into my front windshield. I now have a nice crack in the windshield about 4 inches long.

Would appreciate views on where to get a new windshield. The dealership would be my obvious option, but I recall reading somewhere that American glass is superior to German glass. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Originally Posted by atleung
When I had to replace mine, the dealer ordered an OEM part but outsourced the installation to an auto glass shop. Make sure whoever does yours is not as careless as my installer. The glass seems to be on OK, but he broke a trim piece along the passenger b-pillar and left the other one loose no (to mention dirty finger prints all over). What was much much worse was he evidently did something to the vent trim pieces on the dash causing a very annoying rattle that took me 9 months to find.
Now you are scaring me. To whom did your dealer outsource the job? Hopefully nowhere near NY or CT.

Quick Reply: cracked windshield