Sponsored by:

315/30/18 tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Glenn M
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 315/30/18 tire recommendations?

Well it's time to think about tires for my new rims, 11" wide on the rears for my Strosek wide body 928. Not allot of choices with this size but I would like 315's over 305's. Pirelli P-Zero Rossa, Pilot Sport PS2, Yokohama ADVAN Sport, Hankook Ventus, Falken Azenis.

No KDW's in 315's.

I've read reviews from Tire Rack on the Pirelli's, some folks not happy with the wear of the Pirelli's but all of these are around 200 - 220 treadwear. People seem to like the Hankook'sw and Falken's.

Custom Wheels Direct has Pirelli's for $275 each which looks like a good price Verses $400 and up. http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/ti...il.php?id=7677

These are for my new Gemballa rims which will not see allot of road time. I will run my OZ Racing wheels most of the time.

Price is a consideration, any recommendations/experience?

Thank you,
Glenn
Attached Images
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought a set of Falken Azenis RT615 for my track car and I am very impressed. I had read that they get greasy after they get hot but I haven't had that problem.Tons of grip and very predictable when at their limits. Seem to be wearing very well and you can't beat the price.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm unclear - are you saying you're not going to use the tires often at all, or did you mean that this set of tires will be used primarily on the track?

I am happy with a pair of the 315/30 Azenis 615's on my 997S ... they are mounted on 18x12 rims. The tread blocks on the 615's are much larger, with better dry grip and worse wet performance than the PS2, Yokohama Advan Sport & P-Zero, with more noise too. The Falken has a stiffer sidewall and will not suffer as much chunking and premature tread wear in track use as the street oriented tires - which I know from personal experience autocrossing the PS2, P Zero and Falken on my 997. The PS2 is more expensive than the Pirelli but I coul not detect any performance advantage when I tested same size examples of those two tires on the same car, same autocross track, same day.

The Falken and Hankook are made to be a practical & affordable tire for someone who wants to run one set of tires at the street and the track. The current Falken Azenis is a lot more resistant to heat than the old Azenis, the RT-215. If you are not going to use these tires at a track or autocross, and you want a good rain tire, get the Yok, Michelin or Pirelli, any of which is a great street tire.

The December 2005 issue of Car & Driver had a tire test article covering 11 tires, putting them through their paces in wet and dry testing (braking, skidpad, autocross), and factored PRICING into the standings. Kumho MX, 11th, g-Force T/A KD 10th, Bridgestone RE050A 9th, Toyo Proxes T1R 8th, P Zero Rosso Assimetrico 7th, Dunlop SP Sport Max 6th, Hankook Venus R-S2 Z2125th, Michelin PS2 4th, Yoko Advan Neova AD07 (not the Advan Sport) 3rd, Continenal ContiSportContact 2 2nd, and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 1st. Yokohama was the best dry tire and best in autocross, but it's too expensive and not made in the sizes you need. The Yokohama was best in the autocross and still managed a good 5th place in overall wet testing; the BFG was second best in autocross and second worst in the wet; the Hankook was third in autocross and 8th in overall wet performance. Michelin was 4th in autocross and 4th in overall wet testing; the Pirelli was 5th in autocross and 7th in overall wet testing.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Glenn M
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car will be used on the street, I don't plan to track it. I will have fun runs. I may autocross for fun as I have my other 928 but this is car even wider but will have better gearing. I have another set of rims/tires which I will have on most of the time, 275's rear and 245's front.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot, if you're not a tire snob, I would just get the Hankooks, cheapest of the bunch. For a street tire that's not a daily driver, with some occasional track use, that tire will serve you well. Look at these reasonable prices: http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...404#prodAnchor

Quick Reply: 315/30/18 tire recommendations?