Sponsored by:

Polling on 997's rattle noises...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cascade
Rearview mirror seems to have a rattle on rough roads, also the instrument cluster -- I'd be interested in more info on the spacer as well. Can't take my eyes off the road to look for the source of the rattle as I'm moving too fast....
Posted above.

To see if you suffer from the same ailment as me, when you're driving, wedge your fingers between the dash and the instrument cluster surround and apply downward pressure. I was able to stop the rattle everytime this way. Thus, why I wedged the rubber piece therebetween......in the least conspicious location.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11,000 miles with no rattles. I did have some buzzing coming from the ignition key hole. Dealer replaced the ignition box, and all is good.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
MHK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dash rattle issue as well (12k miles). Tried to get it fixed 4 times by dealer with no luck. Took the car to a body shop. They tightened up all the bolts on the dash in 2 hours. No rattles since then.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
wetstuff
Pro

It's like my hearing aids don't work inside this car?!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
ZenMaster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Driver's side door started around... 8k miles or so. The dealer "fixed" it, made a point to tell me that they had 2 separate guys verify it was fixed, but then it came back within days.
I have the same problem on my 2007 Cab. The first time the driver's side vent was replaced but that didn't keep it quiet for long. Last time I took it in they were able to determine it was coming from the door but couldn't pin down the spot. I'm waiting on the arrival of the new door panel that was ordered to fix the problem.

I don't remember when I first noticed it but I've got 23K miles on the car now.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to call my 07 997S coupe a rattle trap, but at 13,000 miles, it does have more rattles, squeaks, pops, and buzzes than all three of my e46 M3s had combined.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

This is an interesting question. I think as the cars get stiffer suspensions and body structure, the wheels go from 17" to 19-20" this is going to be more pronounced. Rattles drive me nuts. I have sold cars because of them. If I can remember right my 40K 83 911 SC had none.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
johnsosn
4th Gear

There is a TSB for the instrument cluster rattle.
They remove the gauge cluster and fit a small piece of felt under the oil pressure and water temp pods.(where they meet the dash.)
Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had the instrument cluster rattle at 8K. It is a known issue. The dealer will fix it for you properly.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
pred8or
Racer

I have some minor buzzing that I believe is coming from the seat belt attachment points.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
cascade
Rennlist Member

Great info. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 950 Likes on 449 Posts

10K miles starting to get the dreaded dashboard rattle that I had in my 993. I'm finding the rattles less annoying with this car as the top is usually down, but I would expect a $100K german car to be tight and quiet. Mine isn't.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I've had the loose bow (or clip) in the cabriolet fixed twice. First time was a ten minute job and then when it came back a few thousand miles later, they replaced the headliner. That was only 500 miles ago, so I can't yet judge how well it was fixed. I'm taking the car on its longest ride yet - a DC to eastern Long Island round trip and some of those highways and bridges really suck, so we'll see if it's really fixed.

The wind screen also rattles a bit which I can understand as it is a pop in/pop out piece of metal. I have found that by positioning my seat back so that it makes light contact with the windscreen, the rattle stops.

Dash has been fine so far.

K
Old 08-11-2024, 11:05 PM
ADM78
1st Gear

Default Mystery Dashboard Rattle Solved - 997.2

Mystery dashboard rattle solved after many frustrating months.

It began as a plastic on plastic clicking sound emanating from the center right area of the dashboard. It was present across all speed ranges--with a resonance at about 20-35MPH. Read all the suggestions--took apart the dash to tape the right vent duct tube--rattle still present. Check and replaced all the velcro in the frunk to ensure all plastic pieces were tight--no change in the rattle. Checked all the brackets for lines running into the frunk.

Finally took out the front windshield cowling cover with the thought of injecting lubricant into the windshield frame as suggested on some websites. After detaching the metal plate over the cabin air filter from the cowling cover to check for tightness and perhaps insert sound deadening tape, found that one of the molded brackets holding the metal plate had separated from the cowling cover. Therefore, while the bracket was attached to the metal plate and appeared to be solid, it was in fact free to vibrate against the cowling cover. Vibration had no doubt separated the bracket over time.

You won't see the separation unless you remove the screws and detach the metal plate from the cowling cover, as there are plastic clips at each end of the metal plate which appear to hold it in place. A new cowling cover was the fix! Rock solid now!

Bracket for metal plate above cabin air filter on the cowling cover. The faint lines show where it has separated and is free to vibrate against the cowling cover.

The following users liked this post:
anewman (08-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Polling on 997's rattle noises...