Sponsored by:

Thin scratches in clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thin scratches in clear coat

Yet another newbie question. What do you guys do in the event of hair thin scratches in the clear coat, particularly on a black 911? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Griots finest (least abrasive) polish and a microfiber cloth. Microscratches in the clearcoat usually buff right out. Don't rub anymore than necessary. Rewax the spot. Good to go.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:23 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

get a non-black car...
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Autopia.org, and read up about the science of keeping your car in good condition.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get as many different answers to this question as there are black cars, plus rgc412's.

I use Klasse all-in-one to clean and polish. It is very non abrasive and cleaned up my car from winter driving real nicely. (I also had a detailer clay it, but that just got the dirt off and didn't do anything for the fine scratches). I had one deep one that is still visible, but much better. A couple of coats of Klasse Sealant and she's good to go.

Others prefer other polishes, waxes and sealants. A top detailer (see the posts of LeChef's car, or Deanski's posts) can work miracles on your paint. Just depends on how much time and/or money you're willing to put forth, and what results are important to you.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on Autopia.org

To DIY:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/232170-preventing-fine-micro-scratches-and-keeping-your-new-car-looking-new.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/223192-a-primer-on-waxing-for-those-who-really-really-need-help.html
Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

absolutely, check out autopia.org. Good info there.

Black is always the toughest color to deal with. It shows everything.
Having a black car, you might want to invest in a random orbital polisher and foam pads and learn how to use them.
Does a better job than by hand and cuts down significantly on the time commitment.

My Mini and A-6 are red and they can be tricky too. However, I have learned to keep them looking good.
I highly endorse the Menzerna line and the Flex RO or porter cable polishers.

My seal gray C2S does not need as much work and I usually just use a finishing glaze and a last step polish to keep it looking good. Keep any of these polishes OFF clear bra if you have it.

PM me if I can be of assistance.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.quixxusa.com/
Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

What you need is a random orbital polisher, cleaning clay, polish, and wax. Griot's has nice detailing kits for under $200 that include everything you need along with instructions. Go to http://www.griotsgarage.com/ for details.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:04 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Depending on how handy you are, I would reccomend a good detailer. I am not brave enough to learn how to power polish on my Porsche. If you take good care of your car after you polish it you should be good for a while. But with black being the biggest PITA to take care of, good luck. I do most things on my car myself, but I get a pro to power polish it.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Depending on how handy you are, I would reccomend a good detailer. I am not brave enough to learn how to power polish on my Porsche

If you use a random orbital polisher, you have nothing to worry about. Detailers typically use a regular polisher. Its advantage is that it's quick; it's disadvantage is that it leaves swirl marks. Detailers will mask the swirl marks with a good wax. On the other hand if you use a orbital polisher, you won't leave swirl marks and the scratches will essentially vanish, especially after wax is applied.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by fast1
Detailers typically use a regular polisher. Its advantage is that it's quick; it's disadvantage is that it leaves swirl marks. Detailers will mask the swirl marks with a good wax.
Not true. Rotary polishers do not leave swirl marks. And detailers do not try to mask the "damage" done by a rotary polisher by covering it up with wax. Sounds like you've never used one.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Sadiq
Pro

zaino
Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
Not true. Rotary polishers do not leave swirl marks. And detailers do not try to mask the "damage" done by a rotary polisher by covering it up with wax. Sounds like you've never used one.
Ben - I'm only relating what I've witnessed over the years. I've seen countless high end cars on Dealers lots that suffered from rotary polishers. The telltale evidence is the holograhic effect on the polished surface. A rotary polisher generates a lot of heat, and I would never recommend that it be used by an inexperienced detailer, especially since safe random orbitals are available.

I have used rotary polishers in the past but only with the mildest polishes, and for the last few years I have used only a random orbital polisher. Apparently you have had success with a rotary polisher, but again I wouldn't recommend it to a neophyte.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by fast1
Ben - I'm only relating what I've witnessed over the years. I've seen countless high end cars on Dealers lots that suffered from rotary polishers. The telltale evidence is the holograhic effect on the polished surface. A rotary polisher generates a lot of heat, and I would never recommend that it be used by an inexperienced detailer, especially since safe random orbitals are available.

I have used rotary polishers in the past but only with the mildest polishes, and for the last few years I have used only a random orbital polisher. Apparently you have had success with a rotary polisher, but again I wouldn't recommend it to a neophyte.
Your previous statement is still false regarding rotary polishers:

Its advantage is that it's quick; it's disadvantage is that it leaves swirl marks. Detailers will mask the swirl marks with a good wax.
The advantage with a rotary is that it's not only quick (I actually don't think it's all that quick using one - still takes me hrs) but it does a far superior job of polishing than any orbital polisher could ever dream of doing - that's its primary advantage. It's disadvantage is that you need to be skilled at using it. Which really isn't a disadvantage at all for those who are trained in using one.

Quick Reply: Thin scratches in clear coat