Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not real paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

If you're shuffle steering (as you should be and which is taught by most PCA regions) having the paddles attached to the steering column is most advantageous. If either hand is moving over the 12 o'clock position you should reconsider how you're driving.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I do not exactly shuffle steer or cross my arms in turns. For turn 7 hair pin at Sebring I will take my left hand and put it a 12 o'clock and pull the steering wheel down to make that turn and my hand end up at the 3 and 9 positions and I let the wheel unwind at track out. I was tought by my PCA instructors and at the Barber PDE and Master class not to shuffle steer. The movements of shuffleing the steering wheel around are more eratic.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
dom4471
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have notices that locally 3 out 5 997's sold have tiptronic (auto boxes) and it seems that there are more and more cars in general being sold with automatic boxes - 20 yrs ago (in europe)only lux cars and those over a certain size had auto boxes - now nissan micras and mini's etc... all hve auto options - i appreciate that for town driving there is real logic in auto boxes - but for sports cars all the same give me a gear stick anyday. will we shortly be seeing sports bikes with thumb shifts??
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

mdrums- ironic because we teach it at Potomac and I was under the impression that we were going to go national with guidance that mandated teaching it for all regions. One of the big problems with DE is the variances between what is taught- everything to shuffle steering to hooking your thumbs to when to teach heel and toe etc.

When I took the PDA many years ago (maybe ten now) we were taught to shuffle. But we were also taught (and I teach my students) to take a "set" prior to a turn- which you are obviously doing.

I personally prefer shuffle steering and try to teach it not just because I've been doing it for so long but because I think it's safer- and smoother.

Having said all this I'll add that one of the fastest students I had didn't shuffle steer- and he was rougher than a rocky road- but he could certainly make the car move.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

George, yes I was not taught to shuffle both with my PCA instructors and at PDE 2 years ago. I was taught the 3&9 hook your thumbs technique.

Also each instructor I had with PCA had a different idea about the proper line, brake zone and so forth. The PDE instructors I had were all teaching from the same book of ideas. I put it all together myself and tried different lines and brake zones and found what works for my car. I am now solo with PCA and instruct for Chin. I still get seasoned instructors and racers in my car every event. I get all sorts of ideas at each event.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Why not real paddles?