Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well done Dave congrats!!! enjoy in good health!!
And I would do the orange, you already did the yellow!
And since you are taking the plunge, I would seriously consider black interior with orange stitching... and perhaps orange center console...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Why do you REALLY want a GT3? or Why a Turbo? I'm confused. They are polar opposites.

I can see wanting one or the other but not really to consider each.
Let me see if I can put it another way:

GT3: I love normally aspirated, high-revving cars (I've had 2 S2000s, RS4, etc.). To me, the GT3 is the best-looking 911. Those two things combined with the hard edge make it very appealing. The GIANT downside is that I live where it snows, so I am not sure I want a separate daily driver. If I still lived in San Diego, the GT3 would be a done deal.

Turbo: The pinnacle of 911s (minus the GT2). AWD, so it'd work year-round. Turbo cars are a lot of fun and that torque is addicting. I really need to test drive one to see if it's for me.

Back on topic, I am really stoked for you, Dave. I had to restrain myself from going back to the dealer today and looking at the Turbo they've got in the showroom....
Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

The last issue of Total 911 (June 08) had an article comparing and contrasting the 997 GT3 and TT in an effort to help drivers understand which might be better for their needs. You can pick up the issue digitally at zinio.com for a few bucks.
The author of that article in fact prefers the GT3 over the TT.

I really don't think it's unusual for someone to consider one versus the other. Based on DD criteria I choose the TT,....if I lived where there was no bad weather and my car was going to be more of a track toy, I'd choose the GT3.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
The last issue of Total 911 (June 08) had an article comparing and contrasting the 997 GT3 and TT in an effort to help drivers understand which might be better for their needs. You can pick up the issue digitally at zinio.com for a few bucks.
The author of that article in fact prefers the GT3 over the TT.

I really don't think it's unusual for someone to consider one versus the other. Based on DD criteria I choose the TT,....if I lived where there was no bad weather and my car was going to be more of a track toy, I'd choose the GT3.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
Exactly my thinking, Dave. It's not like either of them is a bad choice...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
get it now... you could be dead or in jail by 2010.
You could also be broke in 2011. Last time I checked, a C4S is nothing to sneeze at.

Anyway, it's Dave's money....as long as he is happy that's the most important thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Let me see if I can put it another way:

GT3: I love normally aspirated, high-revving cars (I've had 2 S2000s, RS4, etc.). To me, the GT3 is the best-looking 911. Those two things combined with the hard edge make it very appealing. The GIANT downside is that I live where it snows, so I am not sure I want a separate daily driver. If I still lived in San Diego, the GT3 would be a done deal.

Turbo: The pinnacle of 911s (minus the GT2). AWD, so it'd work year-round. Turbo cars are a lot of fun and that torque is addicting. I really need to test drive one to see if it's for me.

Back on topic, I am really stoked for you, Dave. I had to restrain myself from going back to the dealer today and looking at the Turbo they've got in the showroom....
So it's not really deciding between the GT3 and the TT it's really deciding between what kind of drive you want which in turn dictates which car you want.

Drive a GT3 hard (or get a drive in a well driven GT3) and you may rethink the ideology that the TT is the pinnacle of Porsche engineering. I was offerered the opportunity to drive at 996 GT3 at Le Circuit Mt. Tremblant at speed. Even though I had my Carrera S, after I drove the GT3 I had to have one.

Dave - get what you want!! Life is short. Might as well enjoy the best ride you can afford.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chatted with Alfie at Ira today and decided to take his November build spot for an 09 TT
Coochie baby, you did it! Congratulations! And I totally dig the orange; my dealer has a Boxster in that color and it's AWESOME!

I cancelled my TT order (for now); it's not completely off the list just yet, but for now I'm using my bucks for something different. As you may have noticed, I wasn't on Rennlist for almost 6 months (did anybody miss me, PLEASE... ). Instead, after I had bought a wonderful 2.4-acre-piece of land in a gated community (within city limits!), I designed my very own home from scratch (at the kitchen table) and started building my dream house... current status in the background of my avatar... not as sexy as the TT, but way more space for you-know-what...

Congrats again, Dave!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Coochie baby, you did it! Congratulations! And I totally dig the orange; my dealer has a Boxster in that color and it's AWESOME!

I cancelled my TT order (for now); it's not completely off the list just yet, but for now I'm using my bucks for something different. As you may have noticed, I wasn't on Rennlist for almost 6 months (did anybody miss me, PLEASE... ). Instead, after I had bought a wonderful 2.4-acre-piece of land in a gated community (within city limits!), I designed my very own home from scratch (at the kitchen table) and started building my dream house... current status in the background of my avatar... not as sexy as the TT, but way more space for you-know-what...

Congrats again, Dave!
Hi Wolfgang,
Glad to see you back here....of course you were missed!
Congrats on the house.
I'm stoked about the TT but in reality I probably won't see her until the Spring!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
72guy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chatted with Alfie at Ira today and decided to take his November build spot for an 09 TT !!!!!!
Yeah baby!
I do think the PDK is going to revolutionize the 911 especially the turbo. That being said, there's no way to guarantee at this time that I would enjoy driving a PDK car.
So,...as some have pointed out, you only live once....so I'm going for it.
Alfie suggested that I should consider doing a 2 year lease on the car in case I decide that I want to order a PDK TT after it comes out and proves itself. I'll have to think about this 'gamble.'

I'll post separately at some point on my specs. The first big decision is going to be whether or not I order RS Orange or the more classic Signal Yellow. We'll see!
Congrats on the TT
I'm shopping the 4s market. When will your SY be for sale? Miles and price?
Thanks, Dave
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 72guy
Congrats on the TT
I'm shopping the 4s market. When will your SY be for sale? Miles and price?
Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave,
I'll be selling the 4S probably Jan-Apr 2009, depending on when my TT gets built. I'll likely post a FS thread here when the time comes. As for the miles, it's at 10.5 K right now and has never been run above 170 mph.
dave
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Hi Dave,
I'll be selling the 4S probably Jan-Apr 2009, depending on when my TT gets built. I'll likely post a FS thread here when the time comes. As for the miles, it's at 10.5 K right now and has never been run above 170 mph.
dave
You still have time
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You still have time
Traffic and weather permitting.

Quick Reply: Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???