Sponsored by:

996 vs 997 Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
997 is generally regarded as a major improvement over the 996 (try to test drive a 996 turbo though, just to be sure!) and that convinced me to go with the 997. I went with the S and ultimately got 4wd because I wasn't sure I could adjust to the rear-heavy 911 without a little help. You should drive as many as you can before deciding.
Thanks - that's good advice. Unless I hear significant negative reports about the C4S, it seems like a pretty good selection for all weather driving.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitewing
Thanks - - I really appreciate the feedback.
nitewing-you have gotten a lot of good advice-i have had several 996 models (c2, c4, turbo) and the same 3 997 models. 997 is a much better car than 996-i wouldn't get a 996 unless i couldn't afford a 997. c4s vs c2s-the c2s is a sportier and lighter car to drive-i would buy the c4s if i lived in snow country and i had to get to work with my porsche-if i had an awd alternative or suv, i would buy c2s. i have driven c2s vs c4s many times head to head and have owned both-they both drive nice, but the c2s drives nicer-more like a sports machine.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by docjackson1
nitewing-you have gotten a lot of good advice-i have had several 996 models (c2, c4, turbo) and the same 3 997 models. 997 is a much better car than 996-i wouldn't get a 996 unless i couldn't afford a 997. c4s vs c2s-the c2s is a sportier and lighter car to drive-i would buy the c4s if i lived in snow country and i had to get to work with my porsche-if i had an awd alternative or suv, i would buy c2s. i have driven c2s vs c4s many times head to head and have owned both-they both drive nice, but the c2s drives nicer-more like a sports machine.
Thanks Doc...
You're just the person I was hoping to hear from - someone who has owned both series and both the C2s and C4s models. With that advice, I plan to narrow my search to the 997 series - and will probably look for an 06 or 07 to avoid the first year run of the 997 and also allow for some depreciation off buying brand new. So...with you now showing a 997TT, how do you like it compared to the 997 C2S? There's still a little "voice" telling me to at least check out the turbo - and with the forum's advice to "buy a 996 Turbo" instead of a 997 for the same money, I guess I should at least take a look at them. If you had a choice between a 996 turbo or a 997 C2S for the same money, which would you choose?
Grant
Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had a choice of 996 turbo or 997s for the same money I would take the 997S. I have owned both 996 and 997. However, I will say that for me the reason I would take the 997S over the 996TT is interior and not performance related. The 997 has a different seat and pedal position which allows a very tall person like me much more head and leg room than a 996. In addition the 997 interior design looks like something befitting a 75-130k car. The 996 interior design and execution looks like a 1970's afterthought. The other factor is frankly I cannot use the extra power of the turbo anyway so pretty much the only thing the 996TT has over the 997S is the power which as I said I would not use since I never go to a track anyway. That said if I were into needing wanting more power at this point the 996TT is about as good as it gets value wise. It is a beautiful car on the outside and as mentioned the GT1 derived motor is rock solid.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
dog_tired
Advanced

+1 as to TD in DC's post
These are exactly the reasons why I purchased a new 997 vs a used 996.
The suspension in the 996 beat the crap out of my wife while she was riding shot gun. After an hour of driving my friend's, the verdict was "no f-ing way am i riding in this model car with you." The rest is history.
So, my friend, if you are leaning towards new vs used, and need your significant other's approval, just take her for a drive in a 996...

Last edited by dog_tired; 06-04-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: forgot to quote...
Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
Great advice here. I second the recommendation of buying a c4s due to the snow that we get here in Utah.

Good luck!

-Blake
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
am722
Drifting

You'll laugh when I tell you my current "car" is a 92 Toyota Pickup truck. Yeah, I know. I've been driving this for 16 years - and it doesn't look like much, but it's dependable. Now that the kids are gone I'm ready to treat myself to something I've wanted for decades. The Porsche I buy will be driven daily by me (I live in Salt Lake City) except on snow days when they are salting the roads. I only put about 5-6k miles per year on my truck, so the porsche will be a similar amount - except I will still drive the truck up the canyons for skiing and on bad snow days.

Many have said "buy a Turbo" - but I haven't looked that way because I don't really feel the need for the extra power of a turbo. Trying to decide between a C2, C2S and a C4S is tough. I'm not one for modifying after the purchase - so just trying to get a feel for what drives the best (not planning any track time).
Ha! I traded in a '97 Nissan 4x2 for mine! The dealer promptly converted my trade into the service center's trash hauler.

Trust me: you don't need the turbo.

(Yet).
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Moderato
Racer

What specifically did you NOT like about the AWD? I feel the same as you about liking the "look" of the C4S - and ditto about the "driving experience" being the most important factor. I have been driving a rear wheel only truck for the past 16 years - and if I can drive it through the snow, I know the C2 will do just fine with the engine weight over a set of snow tires.

This forum is great for sorting out many of my questions. I now need to get back to the dealer for some test driving of the 4 vs 2.

Thanks - and good luck in your search as well!
The AWD makes the car feel heavier in terms of the steering and the way the car responds to the go pedal. Having the power completely separated from the front wheels is a whole different driving dynamic. Times I like the AWD are when you want maximum forward traction such as going up a hill on wet/snowy roads. I also like the feel of the AWD on corner exit. It's a tough decision because I enjoy aspects of both.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Doc...
You're just the person I was hoping to hear from - someone who has owned both series and both the C2s and C4s models. With that advice, I plan to narrow my search to the 997 series - and will probably look for an 06 or 07 to avoid the first year run of the 997 and also allow for some depreciation off buying brand new. So...with you now showing a 997TT, how do you like it compared to the 997 C2S? There's still a little "voice" telling me to at least check out the turbo - and with the forum's advice to "buy a 996 Turbo" instead of a 997 for the same money, I guess I should at least take a look at them. If you had a choice between a 996 turbo or a 997 C2S for the same money, which would you choose?
Grant
first of all, i think that black on black's advice is excellent. actually, when i gave back my 996tt after the lease was over, the dealership gave me a short term lease on 997c4s (launch model) to drive until the 997tt came in-and it is a good question that you ask, should you take advantage of the low prices on the 996tt or buy a later model 997c2s. the 997 definitely handles better than the 996, it feels better, it steers and brakes better, and it is roomier and airier, and looks more 911 like inside. and 0-60, i don't think that a 996 turbo is significantly faster than a 997 c2s, 0r c4s. but over 60, the turbo will take off-the 997 will still fell better. i would get a turbo if i could get a low mileage example (less than 20,000 or so miles) at a killer price. after all, a turbo is a turbo. otherwise, i would get the 997cs over the 996 turbo, and be happy that you made the right decision. and the 997tt-crazy power, that you will never be able to use on the highways. drives a bit heavy, but easy to drive fast and very forgiving, but realistically, how are you going to come close to utilizing the power i a car that goes 0-60 in 3.5 sec on our roads? all in all, a 997 carrera s or c4s is a hell of a car, and probably makes sense for you-if you absolutely must have only one car and you must travel in snow, then you need a c4s, otherwise, get the lighter and less expensive c2s
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Great thread for the archives. I think the decision here is pretty clear. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
nitewing
Track Day

Default Poor Ride for 996?

Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
Great thread for the archives. I think the decision here is pretty clear. Good luck!
I really appreciate all the great advice. Lots of opinions - and each had something else to consider. I have only test driven the 997's and so was completely unaware of the suspension and interior issues of the 996 model. Is the ride really that bad? My wife will definitely be with me for some long trips - and comfort is important for me as well. While the price savings between, say, a '01 996 and a '06 997 is tempting, it sounds like I'll pay for the savings by having a poor ride quality and ho-hum interior.

With all the above, I think it makes most sense to me to focus on a 997 model - and probably the C2S, since I will also be buying a 4WD Truck (likely a Tundra or Tacoma) for the snow days here in Salt Lake City.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As others stated too my wife would not ride in my 996 either. She actually likes to ride in the 997S.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

I owned a 993, loved it, made a mistake in trading it in on a 996 C4S, regretted that for 3 years, and then bought a 997s and I am love again, do NOT get a 996, get the 997
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate all the great advice. Lots of opinions - and each had something else to consider. I have only test driven the 997's and so was completely unaware of the suspension and interior issues of the 996 model. Is the ride really that bad? My wife will definitely be with me for some long trips - and comfort is important for me as well. While the price savings between, say, a '01 996 and a '06 997 is tempting, it sounds like I'll pay for the savings by having a poor ride quality and ho-hum interior.

With all the above, I think it makes most sense to me to focus on a 997 model - and probably the C2S, since I will also be buying a 4WD Truck (likely a Tundra or Tacoma) for the snow days here in Salt Lake City.

No, the 996 suspension was actually light years better than the 993 suspension and all of the 911s before that.

The stock shocks on the 996 are IMHO too soft, but you can fix that with aftermarket.

So, it is not that the 996 suspension is "bad" as 911 suspensions go, but rather that the 997 suspension, and the PASM in particular (full disclosure -- I ONLY have experience with PASM) is lightyears better in stock form.

I personally loved my 996 Targa. It was a great car and I loved every minute of owning it, and still miss it at times.

I appreciate that my 997S with X51 is a significantly better car . . . as it should be.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by mal28
I owned a 993, loved it, made a mistake in trading it in on a 996 C4S, regretted that for 3 years, and then bought a 997s and I am love again, do NOT get a 996, get the 997
Thanks. Your experience and advice are appreciated.

Quick Reply: 996 vs 997 Purchase Questions