Sponsored by:

Shipping a car from Europe to North America

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Sharp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shipping a car from Europe to North America

hi guys, i've been in europe for the last 3 years and have a daily driver here that i would like to take back to NA, but i have no idea on where to start with shipping a car, It's just a Seat, and not a p-car or anything very pricey, but it just seems to be the perfect daily driver, and if i can get the car to NA for around $3000 then i would.
Any links to a shipping company or advice would be much appreciated.
Also would i have any issues with bumper regulations or safety restrictions in NA? and will registering it be possible? The car is a 2006 model if that helps
Thanks
Shalil
oh, sorry for the cross post, just put the post where i think it may be applicable.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click on one of these, they can help.

http://www.movecars.com/toc/find/index.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I shipped a car back on my own many years ago. I would think it would be easier to locate a shipping company today what with the internet as a search engine. Things have improved significantly when it comes to regulations. You may find that the DOT and EPA standards are nearly universal with Porsche, when they began to adopt many of them for their largest customer. I think it shouldn't cost over $1500, if that. (A friend had his shipped later than Porsche was going to ship it and they handed him a $1000 credit to offset their costs in shipping it to Calif. When I did my own shipping years ago (1978) it was $400,--peanuts. The size of thes specialty car carriers is such that the cost of shipping is amortized out so far as to make it quite cheap,--but then, fuel continues to head up so maybe that's going to be an issue. The shipping company can help you with who the car needs to clear through on this side of the pond.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:51 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting into Canada used to be a lot easier than the US. Hell, they let the POS Lada in?! I'd bet half the Newfie lawn ornaments are Ladas.. I'd call a customs broker who deals in cars to see if SEAT is on the list.

When I brought in a Mercedes from Canada to catch the depressed $CDN; the reverse was true with extra safety mandates not required here - like child safety and DLRs. There must not be a K Street lobbyist for the minority owned, Vet operated, small Headlamp Mftrs. of America?

Quick Reply: Shipping a car from Europe to North America