Sponsored by:

Ethanol and my Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
"The BTU of E10 is 97% or so of the BTU of gasoline. Therefore, the ethanol produces less energy. This is such a small difference that a driver would never be able to notice."

So:

E0 = 116,090 BTU's x .90 = 104,481
E10 = 112,114 BTU's x .10 = 11,211
E-10 Total BTU = 115692

So that means net 398 BTU loss. Don't think it will make too much of a difference.

The real problem is if you have a boat with a fiberglass tank. Many boaters are experiencing problems with damaged fuel tanks.
You're right. Water and ethanol make a mess of fiberglass. Fiberglass tanks were eliminated by major boat manufacturers years ago and the new tanks do not have a problem with E10. However, special care must be used when using E10 in a boat above and beyond what it might do to the gas tank.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You're right. Water and ethanol make a mess of fiberglass. Fiberglass tanks were eliminated by major boat manufacturers years ago and the new tanks do not have a problem with E10. However, special care must be used when using E10 in a boat above and beyond what it might do to the gas tank.
this is the issue a lot of my boating friends are having. Performance boats like Skaters and high end offshore fishing boats like Yellowfin all have fiberglass tanks. These guys are in TROUBLE! Luckly my Fountain uses metal fuel tanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I would definitely avoid any brand of gasoline that advertises that fact that it contains ethanol. I believe almost all cars are designed to operated satisfactorily on fuels containing alcohol but I am not convinced they have really fullytested the resistance of the fuel system materials to alcohols.
Every gas station in IL serves up E10 at the pump and they have done so for years. If E10 was a problem for any car manufacturer I think a massive number of complaints would have surfaced by now.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Sounds like you got your knowledge of E10 for some of the scare sites on the internet. ALL cars. That's ALL cars, are approved for E10, and NO manufacturer has reported any problems with E10 and corrosion.

BTW. energy content and octane are unrelated. Octane is not an energy producer.

There has been 30+ years of use of E10.
My information is from having been in the business. My employer designs fuel system components and I can tell you that ethanol does extract plasticizer from some plastics and elastomers and this definitely did cause a problem for Saturn automobiles - not all of them but an unusually high percentage of them. Gm tried to blame us for the problem but what hapened is that they changed the factory fill without advising us. We developed a different fuel componet for them ( expensive) that solved the problem. Most autos still use the vulnerable materials! The problem in that case was the the fuel extracted the plasticizer ( at elevated temp) and then the plasticizer precipitated out at a lower temp. but did not re-dissolve.......causing the problem. Alcohols are a general concern with fuel system designers.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
My information is from having been in the business. My employer designs fuel system components and I can tell you that ethanol does extract plasticizer from some plastics and elastomers and this definitely did cause a problem for Saturn automobiles - not all of them but an unusually high percentage of them. Gm tried to blame us for the problem but what hapened is that they changed the factory fill without advising us. We developed a different fuel componet for them ( expensive) that solved the problem. Most autos still use the vulnerable materials! The problem in that case was the the fuel extracted the plasticizer ( at elevated temp) and then the plasticizer precipitated out at a lower temp. but did not re-dissolve.......causing the problem. Alcohols are a general concern with fuel system designers.

So, since MOST autos use this vulnerable material, please give us a list of a few of them. Funny how I have cars trhat have run exclusively on E10 for 30 years and I still have the same gas tank. I wonder how that is possible?

Quick Reply: Ethanol and my Carrera S