Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just love used car salesman....will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008 | 03:41 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default I just love used car salesman....will they ever learn

I am searching for 1983 911sc...found one in a dealership in Texas who specializes in air cooled 911s. The salesman could not give me specific answers to the car I was inquiring....but was quick to mention it was a "California Car". Funny, on their site there is a quick link to carfax....the car has been in Texas since 1991!!! Okay, maybe it was orginally purschased in
California....but its been in humid Texas for most its life.
Now, why the heck would this guy try to bs me with this CA Car stuff...now I feel I can't believe anything this guy tells me. Yes I know, if you are interested in the car order an independent inspection.
Sorry for the bitching.....I just get tired of that sort of bs and making me feel like I was born yesterday.
abe
Old 05-10-2008 | 03:58 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by abe
I am searching for 1983 911sc...found one in a dealership in Texas who specializes in air cooled 911s. The salesman could not give me specific answers to the car I was inquiring....but was quick to mention it was a "California Car". Funny, on their site there is a quick link to carfax....the car has been in Texas since 1991!!! Okay, maybe it was orginally purschased in
California....but its been in humid Texas for most its life.
Now, why the heck would this guy try to bs me with this CA Car stuff...now I feel I can't believe anything this guy tells me. Yes I know, if you are interested in the car order an independent inspection.
Sorry for the bitching.....I just get tired of that sort of bs and making me feel like I was born yesterday.
abe

You know you can buy a "How to be a Used Car Salesman" for dummies at Barnes and Nobles..... He prolly is just following his script!

Old 05-10-2008 | 04:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Old car, new car, the used car salepeople all know nothing and will say anything to make a sale. He probably thought "California car" had a nicer ring to it, since BS is their specialty.

I have quite the fondness for the 911 SC and late-80's Carrera 3.2 also.
Old 05-10-2008 | 04:57 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

I find it odd that a dealership that specializes in air-cooled Porsche's couldn't answers you questions. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-10-2008 | 05:12 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default Well, I assume that they have lots of cars...and I got the salesman who knew very

Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
I find it odd that a dealership that specializes in air-cooled Porsche's couldn't answers you questions. Good luck with your search.
little about the particular car I was asking. He probably knows air cooled cars....I was asking more about specific history and work done on one car.\abe
Old 05-10-2008 | 05:17 PM
wetstuff
Pro

You'd think their salespeoples would be encyclopedic ..given they've put themselves up as focused. Sounds like the person who owns the biz is an absentee needing to flare off some TX oil profits.
Old 05-10-2008 | 06:15 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You by default are smarter as a enthusiast than a used car salesman infact my chihauhau .... oh never mind
We are fortunate that NEW Porsche guys sometimes know their stuff. (sometimes)
Old 05-10-2008 | 06:33 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by OldGuy
You by default are smarter as a enthusiast than a used car salesman infact my chihauhau .... oh never mind
We are fortunate that NEW Porsche guys sometimes know their stuff. (sometimes)
Sometimes..........
Old 05-10-2008 | 07:47 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
I just get tired of that sort of bs and making me feel like I was born yesterday.
One of my friends - a good, honest guy but not well-versed in cars - walked into a Miami BMW dealer, told a salesman that he wanted to spend $x per month, and what was the nicest car he could get. My friend got RAKED over on a lease; the deal is embarassingly bad.

The key is to take complete control of the conversation with the salesman. Depending on what you want out of him and his attitude, you need to come across as wealthy, knowledgable, short on time, and short on patience. Tell him exactly what you want, tell him exactly how you want it, and give him a timeframe. You might pump up his ego a little in the beginning of the relationship so he feels like you aren't just jerking him around, like "My buddy says great things about how you're an efficient, no-BS guy."

If you aren't comfortable or it's too premature, don't answer his finance-related questions: "Are you going to lease or buy, do you have a trade, how soon are you looking to buy, what kind of payment are you looking for."

It's important to remember that salesmen deal with absolute lowest-common-denominator all day long. They have customers who walk in who have no idea how much a Porsche costs, what a Porsche does, or what the different models mean. Have you seen the "Idiot's Guide to Porsches" that comes in every new one? Accordingly, it's important to show a salesman that you know your stuff, and that you aren't there to waste his time and, more importantly, your time.
Old 05-10-2008 | 08:21 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
One of my friends - a good, honest guy but not well-versed in cars - walked into a Miami BMW dealer, told a salesman that he wanted to spend $x per month, and what was the nicest car he could get. My friend got RAKED over on a lease; the deal is embarassingly bad.

The key is to take complete control of the conversation with the salesman. Depending on what you want out of him and his attitude, you need to come across as wealthy, knowledgable, short on time, and short on patience. Tell him exactly what you want, tell him exactly how you want it, and give him a timeframe. You might pump up his ego a little in the beginning of the relationship so he feels like you aren't just jerking him around, like "My buddy says great things about how you're an efficient, no-BS guy."

If you aren't comfortable or it's too premature, don't answer his finance-related questions: "Are you going to lease or buy, do you have a trade, how soon are you looking to buy, what kind of payment are you looking for."

It's important to remember that salesmen deal with absolute lowest-common-denominator all day long. They have customers who walk in who have no idea how much a Porsche costs, what a Porsche does, or what the different models mean. Have you seen the "Idiot's Guide to Porsches" that comes in every new one? Accordingly, it's important to show a salesman that you know your stuff, and that you aren't there to waste his time and, more importantly, your time.
It breaks my heart to hear stories like this. Explaining to our gang here why this is wrong is preaching to the choir, so I won't bother. However, if you want to see something funny, sad, and enlightening, read this:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

AJ
Old 05-10-2008 | 09:42 PM
Sadiq
Pro

maybe he meant it was 50 state emissions legal
Old 05-10-2008 | 09:59 PM
eqs
Advanced

Sometimes .......

In 2 recent instances dealers tried selling me lemons. The salesmen always "did not know" the answer to tough, probing questions. I found out that the sales manager knew the answers, but did not want to disclose the "true" answers, as then you the consumer, would have potential recourse. Dealers do not like potential recourse. The less you know, the better.

Always caveat emptor, and remember any business is there to generate profits - always profits first, no matter what anyone says. No business is in business to lose money, every businessperson knows that.

So salesmen will always be salesmen, no matter what. Unfortunate, but reality - even the ones you think are really good.

Anyways, hope you find the car you want, cheers and good luck
Old 05-10-2008 | 10:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sadiq
maybe he meant it was 50 state emissions legal
That's what I was wondering too.
Wasn't there a period that California had separate smog emission standards than the rest of the country? I seem to recall "California Emissions" being thrown around back in the 80s.
Old 05-10-2008 | 10:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was thinking about you and Alfie Stoppie. when I said we have new guys who are helpful
Old 05-10-2008 | 10:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
That's what I was wondering too.
Wasn't there a period that California had separate smog emission standards than the rest of the country? I seem to recall "California Emissions" being thrown around back in the 80s.
Yes, you are correct Dave.

And I remember back in Ohio buyers shying away from a CA emission car just because they knew all that smog crap choked away engine power.

Quick Reply: I just love used car salesman....will they ever learn