Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight loss before power gain

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary - by aero (kit) I ment replacing OEM with lighter (and if possible with less drag) OEM or otherwise components. Confusion arose by readers assuming more downforce would mean more weight. Which is obviously still going on.

Allegretto - this being physics it's not really subject to interpretation and opinions. what you wrote is pure gibberish. what does "virtually equivalent" mean ? really please take a step back and rethink what you are trying to argue and more importantly why.

Boolala - old friend, what i timely arrival. you got the first 2 statements right. in particular the one about the rolling resistance. however those 2 don't make the third one right - "Thus the power needed to accelerate an object will increase as downforce increases" - timely example of confusing downforce with drag (in terms of what you ment) and not knowing what the the rolling resistance is the function of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

I think it's important to understand the race car dynamics in order to be a good driver (and understanding grip - aerodynamic or mechanical is part of it). Good schools (Barber etc.) would go through lengths in order to explain these principles - not necesseraly the Porsche driving experience events. So by jumping in and stirring some sparks I'm making a small contribution to making some of you better drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce

note that - like any force - it's measured in newtons.

PS: Boolala - excellent follow-up. Spot on about balancing out the lift of the car at speed (at minimum). Downforce can be negative - the car will take off and loose contact with the ground, but will the car weight change ? You still confuse rolling resistance with aerodynamic drag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 AM
boolala
Race Car

Read my last post. I think you were responding to my earlier comments.

Ask yourself why the 911's spoiler deploys only beyond a certain speed. At low speeds the tires are fully in contact with the pavement and the small aerodynamic upforce is insufficient to counter this effect. Any increase in downforce at this point will just increase rolling resisitence via increasing the "normal" (N) (upwards, pavement) force on the car. Beyond a certain point (speed) the aerodynamic upforce is signifcant enough to adversely affect traction, the spoiler deploys and (hopefully) counterbalances this upforce without adding to apparant weight. This effect is independant of drag which is a phenonenon related to air resitance and primary a function of speed and cross sectional area of the vehicle.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 AM
avader906
Instructor

Rolling resistance has very specific meaning in physics, devoid of atmosphere so to speak. So if you replace "rolling resistance" with more generic "grip" you will be spot on.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 AM
avader906
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
my point is that although weight pushes the car down, it also retards acceleration and braking and cornering. downforce also pushes the car down, but it does not interfere with those other things you are trying to accomplish.
this is the bit that really matters
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

is the game of "who is smarter then the other" done yet? op is asking if there are some suggestions to lighten his ride. dont remember him asking a lecture on physics. wow its really funny looking at how some of the posts here totally deviate from what the original topic was
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by avader906

Allegretto - this being physics it's not really subject to interpretation and opinions. what you wrote is pure gibberish. what does "virtually equivalent" mean ? really please take a step back and rethink what you are trying to argue and more importantly why.
Well I can see that you have chosen to ignore my simple request.

As to the Physics; I cannot reason you out of a position that didn't employ reason in the first place.

I'll leave now since you'll be "...beating me on experience..." if we go any further. If that reference seems cryptic you may look up the rest of the quote later.

The following users liked this post:
93Jaffe (01-02-2020)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lightweight battery
Lighter exhaust
Lighter Wheels
Seats

Those are the easier ones that I know about. You can easily get 120lbs+ savings if you do those.

Quick Reply: Weight loss before power gain