Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First PCA DE, advice request

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 12:00 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Default First PCA DE, advice request

I'm planning on attending my first DE in May with the PCA. My rear P-zero tires are worn down to the wear bars but the fronts have some life left though they are featherng somewhat. Should I get new tires for the DE? I'm thinking about replacing all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sports, alternatively I could just get new P-Zero for the rears and continue to use the feathered front P-Zeros that I have now. What would you do?

Last edited by Sunshine; 04-24-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:12 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Congratulations on your first DE! You should have a blast. But beware ... it is an addictive undertaking. (see photo below, from Buttonwillow last weekend)

I would absolutely NOT use worn tires in a DE ... depending on the course and your driving style, you will burn them right off and be left running home on the cords. I also believe, pretty strongly, that you don't want to mix tire compounds front to rear --- even, predictable traction is critical.

Have a blast!!

Old 04-24-2008 | 12:30 PM
richc
Pro

Replace the tires or you might be watching rather than driving.
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:37 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

you may not pass tech if @ wear bars.
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:23 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default First DE

Also download the Tech Form from the PCA website you will have completed by your local mechanic. It will tell you everything that must be in good shape.

Agree with the other comments tires are THE most crtical component of the car. Just four patches of rubber in contact with the track. Get new tires without question.

Are you going to VIR? If so see you there.
Old 04-24-2008 | 06:07 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bella1
Also download the Tech Form from the PCA website you will have completed by your local mechanic. It will tell you everything that must be in good shape.

Agree with the other comments tires are THE most crtical component of the car. Just four patches of rubber in contact with the track. Get new tires without question.

Are you going to VIR? If so see you there.
Yes, VIR in May. I can't wait to drive my baby on the track.
I know I need new tires but my question is, should I replace all four with Michelins for this DE evevt even though the rears Perellis are the only tires actually needing replacement? The front Perellis though somewhat feathered/cupped have some life left.
Old 04-24-2008 | 06:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Smile

Whoever is doing your tech can make a determination regardiing the fronts. If it was me I would replace the Pirellis wth the Michelins. The Michelins are a much better tire. Have fun and be safe. I see a crazy ear to ear smile in your future.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Get yourself a set of 4 new tires and I like PS2 myself. You'll probably need to have your brake fluid flushed - at a 1st timer, OEM is just fine. Last thing is I'd have them align the car (while changing tires and flushing brakes). My alignment from the factory was terrible - no camber - which messed up the shoulders of my then-new PS2s. You can get about -1 degree front and more rear stock - take advantage of it. Alignment is probably $200 and brake flush about $50-75 and the shop should stamp your tech form to boot (freebie).

Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2008 | 09:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

It would depend on the condition of the fronts whether or not you should replace all four. For your first DE, the brand of tires won't make a difference at all. As far as Michelins vs Pzeros, I've had both, and honestly I'm not sure which I prefer. Both are very good tires. Actually if you're going to drive a lot of DE's on street tires, it might be worth considering the Bridgestones. They are a LOT less expensive, and based on tests perform pretty well. Like most of us, you probably don't care about the lower expense on one set of tires. But when you end up buying your second (or third) set in one year, you may start thinking about the Bridgestones. JMHO

Quick Reply: First PCA DE, advice request