Sponsored by:

Curious - variation in odometer reading and trip computer in PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious - variation in odometer reading and trip computer in PCM

I have just finished a short little drive today ... ~ 855 miles from Buttonwillow CA to Vancouver WA, enroute to Vancouver BC. I zeroed the odometer and reset the trip computer when I left Buttonwillow this morning. Pulling into a hotel here in Vancouver WA, I note that the trip computer tells me that I drove 857.1 miles and the odometer tells me I drove 855.3 miles ... a huge 0.0021% variation.

Has anyone else seen this? Why would there be a difference? (And no - I didn't do a search of the forums for prior postings ... much too zombied out!)

FWIW ... driving time, 11 hrs 39 minutes; average driving speed 75 mph; fuel consumption 22.2 mpg. Not bad! And the amazing thing is that I am not crippled up by being that long in the drivers' seat -- I'm driving solo.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not one for details like that, but when I look at the GPS; I'm doing 63 ..when I look at the speedo: 60 ..my Boxster was also optimistic, but that information and $3.50 still only get's me a choice between a gallon of milk or gasoline.

Funny isn't it, a fricking Porsche get's decent mileage?! Cheers.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are disparities in the system. Wear items are part of the reason, and some are mandated. My rear tail goes up at 75 mph like it's supposed to,--but not until the digital speedo shows me at 77-78 mph.

Quick Reply: Curious - variation in odometer reading and trip computer in PCM