Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSS Plenum test at AWE

Check this link for the results

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=126576
Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Wow - I just read through that whole thread.
The guys at RSS must be losing their minds right now.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I was one of the sceptics. No way a part like that could add the HP claims they are making on a 997S. Oh well lots of guys wasted $1000!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 AM
dduncan
5th Gear

my car was the test mule...
Old 04-19-2008, 12:25 AM
fast lane
Racer

thanks again dduncan like I said on the other site I think this ends the debate. Oh and f#$% Gpjli!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 AM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow...lot's of people on 6speedonline were calling snake oil when they were putting the original group order together. I had someone reply to a previous post on my new Farnbacher Loles "power plus" mod's asking why they didn't add the the RSS plennum along w/ the X51 intake, ECU, and exhaust, it was because the guys at Farnbacher said the plennum didn't make any additional power...I trusted their call then given the extensive amount of time they spend tuning 911's, and looks like AWE's test provides more proof.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Porsche had to run flow tests on the intake they currently use. It would not have cost them any more to use a intake plenum shape like the IDP. Also this IDP plenum style is nothing new. I use to be into Vette's back in the late 80's early 90's and the Ecklers catalog had a plenum like the IDP for $114. I bought it and it did nothing for power. So basically been there done that.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
b911s
Intermediate

Looks like i'll take this of my mod list. Thank god i didnt order it yet, just another part to suck more money out of our pockets for nothing. Seems like most of these aftermarket mods do next to nothing for a NA 997. It just goes to show you how good Porsche has made this car right off the assembly line.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh well lots of guys wasted $1000!
Interestingly, the purchaser's comments tend to emphasize what nice guys the RSS folks are (Stockholm syndrome?), rather than to suspect that they may have been deliberately duped. If you recall, early on, many potential purchasers were asking all of the right questions. Then, for some reason, as the Kool-Aid got passed out, the butt dyno guys beat the skeptics into submission.

In any case, RSS has our equivalent of a tainted Tylenol PR mess. Let's see if they are as smart as J&J was. I'm afraid that it will be difficult to come up with independent testing that show a 5 hp increase, let alone 27. I think that their only chance will be to demonstrate that dduncan's stock exhaust limited the extra flow created at the intake. But still...27 hp?

Last edited by Rick in Colorado; 04-19-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

I called it snake oil... but I feel bad for the folks that spent their hard earned money for it... It does prove to a degree that Porsche has pulled a good amount of power out of the engines and extracting more takes a good bit of work... I wonder if the company will offer refunds for those that feel they didn't get was was offered...? Do you think they should or is it "buyer beware"?

Matt
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I called it snake oil... but I feel bad for the folks that spent their hard earned money for it... It does prove to a degree that Porsche has pulled a good amount of power out of the engines and extracting more takes a good bit of work... I wonder if the company will offer refunds for those that feel they didn't get was was offered...? Do you think they should or is it "buyer beware"?

Matt
I too questioned the manufacturer (and butt dyno) claims and was excoriated for it.

That’s a good question. Part of me says it should be “buyer beware”. Anyone gullible enough to believe a six inch piece of tubing midway through the intake would give the kind of results claimed by the manufacturer deserves to lose some of their hard earned money but another side of me says the manufacturer made performance claims that appear can not be substantiated.

I’m no legal scholar but don’t most products have an implied warranty of merchantability that says there is a guarantee that the goods are reasonably fit for their ordinary purpose? By losing a few peak ft lb of torque, decreasing a nice chunk of the mid range and only increasing peak hp by ONE hp, in my opinion the plenum does more harm than good but I long ago gave up arguing with all the “butt dynos” that make engine modifications without first doing a before and then an after modification dyno run.

However, unless the manufacturer makes an up front, money back guarantee I think it should be buyer beware. Where would we stop? Cold air intakes, K&N filters, headers, after market exhausts. They all make some pretty bold claims of power gains that most will never know if true because they have relied on their subjective “butt dyno” instead of objective dynamometer results!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast lane
thanks again dduncan like I said on the other site I think this ends the debate. Oh and f#$% Gpjli!
For now, lets wait for the answer from RSS and the dyno from floridi(sp?). You can f#$% me later
Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I look at it this way. Porsche X51 cost is $17K for 26Hp. RSS costs much less for say 27HP. Who do you really believe? Porsche may have to make an engine to battle with different country restrictions and other controls in a mass produced car, but in the end, it's a proven system.

RSS on the other had has a unique way to obtain the 26-27hp via intake plenum. If it works great, but you still have to think... Porsche has to install modified heads, modified cams, intake, headers, airbox etc to get 26HP. One device has that much impact? Hard to really believe. Would sure be nice to have a simple device add that much hp for so little.

I passed on an X51. Sometimes I wish I did the X51, but just still could not spend $17K for 26HP when thinking just the same line as RSS. Something simple HAS to improve the HP for much less. Maybe we underestimate Porsche development. Look at the "other" engines including full race engines. You'd think full race engines would be brimming with HP and torque...after all... it's Porsche. My guess is this is as much HP/Torque as you're gonna see from these engines (3.6/3.8) unless you increase the displacement and other items.

If you wanted a whole lot more HP and torque, maybe you should have purchased a Z06. Z06 has all the HP and torque you want along with it actually handles well. It may feel like driving a bigger car, it does do well on the twisties.

Or go with the new GTR that's out. Aother hot little car.

Spend the money on the items that make your Porsche handle better, stop better and look better. Another reason I went with PCCB's than X51. Better brakes, leading to better handling (less weight).

Only time will tell and unbiased dyno results.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey Jim,

are you saying that RSS's dynos are slanted and not truly objective? Next month I have an appointment with Musante Motorsports to install an RSS Plenum and do a before and after dyno. It will be interesting to see what results I get. Anything really positive may be contributed to the Revo upgrade that I already have. I'll let everyone know what results I get. At this point it's a tough call. One thing I can tell you the Revo chip definitely added an upside to the overall performance of my car.

Jay
Old 04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Jay,

Just looking at all the data that has been out on this on both sides. I just think that it may be subjective, but you still have to look at what Porsche has done with these engines.

I'm sure that the Revo will mostly help seeing the mapping is different than stock. It may show a good increase with the remap and new plenum taking on more air etc.

I'd love nothing more than to bolt on something for what Porsche charges $17K for the 26HP upgrade for less $$.

In time, RSS and others should have more data. Only problem is who to believe?

Right now, I have to worry about tires. Then more handling items. Track time to better "learn" the cars handling. Maybe after all this, engine modification.

First, I think it's best to learn what you have than what you think you need.

Keep me posted and one day, I'm sure I'll see you at one of the CVR meetings!

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: RSS Plenum test at AWE