Sponsored by:

PCCB Appeal/longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
It appears pretty much unanimous that those who have them would have them again. I am in that category. I would probably choose them over many other options for all the reasons already listed. If you never had them you probably would never miss them or know the different, but after you have had them you won't want anythign else.
I agree.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For the northern climate PCCB owners, any issues with salt and snow with the PCCBs (both rotorwise, padwise, and performancewise (I don't think I can use "wise" any more)?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
For the northern climate PCCB owners, any issues with salt and snow with the PCCBs (both rotorwise, padwise, and performancewise (I don't think I can use "wise" any more)?
Something we didn't hit upon,--is that. Corrosion. The ceramic brakes were developed with corrosion in mind. There is none.

I think what you will find in the final analysis is that the performance between the iron (not steel) and ceramic siliconized carbon fiber brake rotors is that they stop you about the same. But that is not the entire performance comparison. Keep in mind the lower unstrung weight which certainly does affect the handling of the car.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Something we didn't hit upon,--is that. Corrosion. The ceramic brakes were developed with corrosion in mind. There is none.

I think what you will find in the final analysis is that the performance between the iron (not steel) and ceramic siliconized carbon fiber brake rotors is that they stop you about the same. But that is not the entire performance comparison. Keep in mind the lower unstrung weight which certainly does affect the handling of the car.
I believe you'd find the PCCBs stop better when put to the test lap after lap. If your buying them strictly for stopping in everyday street driving they are probably equal to the cast iron rotors.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I think my avatar sufficiently says how I feel about them.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the PCCBs and I had them on my 996 GT3 and now my 997 GT3. I never had a problem with the Gen I's the Gen IIs are perfect. I love the feel of the PCCBs compared to the Iron brakes. I have a friend who has the 996 GT3 and has tracked the absolute CRAP out of his GT3 with Gen I PCCBs and no problems. I have noticed the problem threads have gone away. My theory of the deterioation of the Gen I based somewhat Radimon told me too (NJ-GT) is that the stock fluid boils too easily and screws with computer and the ABS. This literally eats up the rotors. Changing to Castrol SRF fluid allows the system
to operate as designed. No boiling, no computer working its brains out trying to figure what the heck is going on with the hydraulic pressure. Thats just an OPINION as an engineer, and EE not a mechanical engineer. But NJ-GT has tracked a billion miles with no issues with SR19 pads
DO NOT order another 911 without PCCBS!!!
love em
Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 AM
drwilson
AutoX

Have em on my Cab - they are terrific.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The other issue is IF they DO go away just buy iron. Instead of taking out a low interest below prime that may bloom up for a new set of Carbon Composite Rotors-----
just flip the plastic for $3k and get a whole new set of rotors and use your yellow calipers of back to the track
Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

OK, all us PCCB guys admit it - another reason we love 'em? They look COOL

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,081 Likes on 587 Posts

I love my pccb and they do look really cool! if you can manage the up-front costs, they're worth it definitely.

but for those of you who have steels- the steels are great brakes too. I tracked my GT3 with steels and drove through Europe with them (had to hit the brakes a few times on the autobahn) and they're extremely strong. You can upgrade from the steels to gt3 Cup rotors for less than the OEM PCCB upgrade (WAY less) so if you want racing brakes, there ya go.

the PCCB are a bit more of a pain in the ***- you have to break them in! if you don't do this right you can really screw them up.

Also, when driving on the track-

you have to do a faster cool down lap without using them...
you have to warm them up with a few progressive stops before they bite all the way (throw away the first lap)
you get in the habit of only parking on flat surfaces because setting the e-brake will destroy the rotor if it's hot.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CJ I am being stupid but isnt the Ebrake on the inside hat of the rear rotor? the ebrake doest touch the the hot rotor? I cant remember how the Ebrake works. I thought it was cheap drum on the inside of the
rear hat.
any way we always used to park on a flat surface and brick the car because we
had to let the TT motors cool down for a minute or 2 before we shut them down.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
cag64
Instructor

I rather have the 8K in my pocket. I'm not an expert to notice "37 lbs. of unsprung weight". The "Big Reds" works for me fine. Brake dust you say....... If you keep the rest of the car in spotless condition (a simple wipe off) that's all you have to worry about are the wheels. That's why I didn't go for a wheel with nooks and cranny's instead went stock S wheels (bad enough). Honestly thought about PCCB and it's not that I couldn't spring for them ........ Just couldn't pull the trigger.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Hello Everyone,

This thread is really good. I asked a question of C4S coupe vs. C4S targa. Which I received good responses. My question here is have any of you here have PCCB on your targa? I now feel like this is a better use of my money than the X51. Thank you again
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I believe you'd find the PCCBs stop better when put to the test lap after lap. If your buying them strictly for stopping in everyday street driving they are probably equal to the cast iron rotors.
you are correct. i hate to disagree with some of you on this pccb love fest, but right in the handbook, it tells you that the stopping distance for the steel brakes and the ceramics are the same-i would say that the only difference would be repetative stops in a race type setting. for daily road use, there is no substantial difference, except for cosmetic. if you want to buy it, it is your business and $8500. i would rather spend the money on better leather, more leather, different color stitching, etc. it depends on your priority, but for 97% of us who never or rarely see a track, the steel brakes feel world class to me.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

...and the color combination couldn't be better!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PCCB Appeal/longevity