Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Appeal/longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pads are a different composition, and produce little to no break dust, I proved this over the last few months when I couldn't wash my car due to water restrictions here in North Carolina, While the rest of the car was at times embarassingly dirty, the wheels were always spotless.

As to the cost of pad replacements, before I ordered my car, I checked with the parts department at my local Dealer, and was told that the cost to replace all four corners' pads and sensors was within $100.00 of the standard system. I only have 18,000 mile on my car, so have not yet had to replace pads.

Jerry
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I, too, like many here, debated the whole brake issue when I was ordering my car. I may be one of the few cabriolets with PCCBs. I did my homework before I ordered, both online with the Rennlist and Rennteam and by pricing out the cost of replacing the pads. Pads are different than the regular formulation,--designed to work exclusively with the siliconized carbon fiber. They are about $100 more a set. They appear to wear very slowly as evidenced by the light brake dust that appears on my complex rims (XRRs). I have gotten to the age where I don't want to become a slave to cleaning wheels. That, alone, is a big plus. But the first reason I bought them was for the weight savings. When the unsprung weight is reduced by that amount (~37 lbs) you definitely feel that in the handling of the car. Reduced maintenance costs are a secondary advantage. I suspect I can go over 200,000 miles on these rotors which, with 22,000 miles, have shown no sign of usage. Perhaps I broke them in right or something, but I have never heard a squeak out of them. It's more like a very fine grinding sound if you listen carefully.

The evidence is in,--they are gaining in popularity despite the cost. Porsche had to actually take PCCBs off the options list for the 997 turbos when their supplier couldn't keep up with the demand. I think as more people learn, they are biting the initial cost bullet, and ordering them. Since most in America flip cars ceaselessly, it's less popular here as only the next guy or the guy after him will realize the benefits. The first guy will take a serious hit.

When you consider that Ferrari gets over $22K for PCCBs on their cars you can't beat the deal on a 997 at a bit over $8K. It's a bargain. I would have to have them again on any future Porsche. The only negative is that when they are wet (when washing the car) they perform poorly during the first brake application. After that they are great. I drove at seriously high speeds in Europe with the PCCBs on my S Cab and even in pouring rain, never had a problem with them.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I've been hearing more and more about those brakes. I would have never considered them before, but now believe they are worth the money. Great insight.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I too have PCCB's when I spec'd my car.

A while ago, I drove a Ferrari that had ceramic brakes. Big difference in pedal feel and stopping power. Handling also was improved.

So, I ordered my car with them. They stop very well, feel great on the pedal after beating on them. The steering effect is also improved.

With stainless steel hats and ceramic rotors, there's no rust as well.

I have some noise, but I do not think it's the PCCB's, but a bad bearing as it sounds like a hung pad when hot and during a turn. Dealer looking into this.

Only problem I also hear is the replacement cost of a rotor which can be high. As long as you don't go off-track into the kitty litter where a stone can crack them, you should see these rotors lasting a very long time.

And yes, wash your car, careful as these do not respond when soaked, but fine on rainy days.

Also, if you change a wheel, make sure you use two wheel hangers to make sure you do not nick the the rotor.

One of the best performance options for this car.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PCCB Gen I (996) and I love them, the 997 Gen II are even better! I'm not too sure about their cost vs. benefit for track use. If you really want amazing road feel, add a set of Dymag wheels in conjunction with the ceramics...wow
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

yeah i love my x-51. wouldn't spec another car without it. blah blah blah..........

whoops........wrong thread

Funny, when these types of threads run the people who have the option can't live without it and the people without the option think it is a waste of money.

OK I'm just mad that I don't have PCCB's
Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm at 35K miles on my PCCB's, never a squeak, still on original pads, no brake dust, awesome stopping power, absolutely love them!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Thanks for this terrific, highly informative thread. You guys have me drooling! So here's the question. For someone with a new car which does not have this option, is it feasible and/or sensible to upgrade?

Reason I'm asking is that it's one thing to start looking for one in the used market and quite another to add it on. I'm wondering if dealers would even do this (I suppose anything's possible for $'s!) but equally if anyone ever has.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a magazine like Excellence do a direct comparison of big red and PCCB? I can't recall ever seeing this sort of test or with any other manufacturer's ceramics vs steel.

Given the notion that ceramics offer lower unsprung weight, I would be interested in seeing a few things like:

-Are acceleration times influenced to a measurable extent?
-Are rolling acceleration times reduced to a measurable extent?
-Are braking distances truly shorter?
-Is brake fade different? (Hey, what brake fade?)
-Are lap times reduced?

Perhaps one of our site sponsors could construct a test like this. Hi Total 911, are you reading this?

To my knowledge, Porsche does not report acceleration, braking, and lap times for steel vs ceramics. I think this would be a great 'road test.'
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Can you get the low dust pads for the steel rotors?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
Reason I'm asking is that it's one thing to start looking for one in the used market and quite another to add it on. I'm wondering if dealers would even do this (I suppose anything's possible for $'s!) but equally if anyone ever has.
i believe it's a $13k oem updgrade, before install costs. Suncoast Porsche has them advertised.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears pretty much unanimous that those who have them would have them again. I am in that category. I would probably choose them over many other options for all the reasons already listed. If you never had them you probably would never miss them or know the different, but after you have had them you won't want anythign else.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than dust, is the performance difference truly noticeable? (I would assume it is, but I'd like affirmation of this.)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I may be one of the few cabriolets with PCCBs.
Here is one I just stumbled across (no point, just interesting):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
prwdmd
Intermediate

They are the best option on my Carrera S! The yellow calipers make the car look more exotic and distinguish it from other 997's on the road. Not having to changes pads and rotors on a regular basis makes up for the up front cost. I have 20k miles on mine and the pads look brand new, not to mention the rotors which I'll probably never have to change.

I liked the way Excellence magazine once described a Turbo equipped with them - "hand-of-God deceleration."

Last edited by prwdmd; 04-16-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: PCCB Appeal/longevity