Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from out of state... How do u perform a nationwide search?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from out of state... How do u perform a nationwide search?

For consumers, is there a way to perform a nationwide dealer inventory search on a particular 2008 brand new 997 without having to contact individual dealers? I think the sales people at a dealer can do a simple click on a nationwide search.

I am in So Cal. So if I locate a new 08 997 out of state e.g. from east coast, will the dealer accommodate delivery free of charge by swapping a car with another dealer or is it up to me? Of course, it can be negotiated, but what's the common practice?

The best that most dealers iin SoCal will do is $3k off MSRP of $88k on a 08 997 coupe tip
Thanks

Last edited by JJB236; 04-10-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ways

Originally Posted by JJB236
Is there a way to do an inventory search on a particular 997 rather than having to contact individual dealers?
I am in So Cal. So if I locate a 997 out of state e.g. from east coast, will the dealer accommodate delivery fee or is it up to me?
The best that most dealers iin SoCal will do is $3k off MSRP of $84k
Thanks
Here's a couple of ways: (1) Go to the Porsche website and do a search. This is how I found my car. I was looking for a CPO 2006 CS2. There were more than a few but the one I ended up buying is the one that caught my eye. I live in northern VA and the car was at Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville. It cost me $850 to have the car shipped to my front door, in an enclosed trailer. (2) You can also do searches on RennList classifieds, www.cars.com, and www.autotrader.com.
Hope that helps,
Mr. B
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JJB,

I am in Ohio and just helped my boss in California secure a Cayenne GT for at a 10% discount. The dealer shipped the car covered for about $1,000. If you need any help let me know and I can connect you with my guy (no affiliation). As it stands today he is quoting me an 88K car for 79K.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

You can do a nationwide Craigslist search as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

I found mine on autotrader.com.
I did searches on all the forums (porscheusa.com, ebay, etc.) to get a general range of prices, then found what I wanted.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I think he's referring to NEW inventory not preowned. I think you have to check dealer by dealer for new inventory.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
OH997
Pro

Porsche has a way to search pre-owned inventory on their web site.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet the dealers have a way to perform this search on the PCNA computer system. Not sure they would be willing to do it for you though. I not sure they make anything if they find the car you want at another dealer and you end up biying it. But it might be worth a call to a dealer to see if they will help. Or maybe one of the dealer reps on the rennlist can do it for you.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVW
You can do a nationwide Craigslist search as well.
OK, I bite. I've been looking for a way to do nationwide searches on Craigslist, but have never found how. Please explain how you do this.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 AM
ikonomore
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by keninirvine
OK, I bite. I've been looking for a way to do nationwide searches on Craigslist, but have never found how. Please explain how you do this.
go to http://www.crazedlist.org

there are simple directions to use it. You do need to use firefox for it to work.

J
Old 04-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plz
I bet the dealers have a way to perform this search on the PCNA computer system. Not sure they would be willing to do it for you though. I not sure they make anything if they find the car you want at another dealer and you end up biying it. But it might be worth a call to a dealer to see if they will help. Or maybe one of the dealer reps on the rennlist can do it for you.
The dealers are indeed able to search for new inventory nationwide, as my local dealer did this for me back when I was looking in late '07. If they find one you want at another dealer, then they'll simply trade for it with a comparable car in their current inventory. Of course, you'll have to pay for the transport fee, the amount of which is negotiable. Unless your local dealer has nothing comparable to trade with, I don't see why any dealer wouldn't do this for a potential buyer.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i just went on the porsche.com website and checked all the dealers around me (100 mile radius) and went into their websites individually lokking for the new car i wanted. i know it takes a bit of time, but it is fun to check all their stuff out. i must agree with a previous poster who said that initial email were pretty innefective-i found that if you emailed the dealership with a question about a car, maybe 10-20% would email you back-initially calling was more effective-than after you made contact with them, i found that my blackberry was very effective in negotiating with the salesman that you had found. mercedes dealerships are different-if you initially email them, about 80% would email you back. with them also, i found that my blackberry was very effective in negotiating with them-you can foward the quote from one dealer to show the other dealer that you were telling him the truth about the other dealer's offer. of interest, there is a guy who refers to himself as the dutchman-he not infrequently posts on rennlist with cars-he works in pa-i emailed him 3 times about a car he had and never a return-i probably should have initially called him, as i think their email dealership system ain't great. but once you get the salesman's individual email adress, you are off to the races. i am convinced that i saved thousands recently when i purchased my e63 and carrera s and traded in my other porsche.the blackberry will pay itself off in the money saved on purchases.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Paul523
Pro

Default try a Google search string -

Hypothetically if you are looking nationwide for a 2008 Carrera S Coupe in Meteor Grey:
then click link below, (once transferred to Google page, note the terms inside quotes in Google search bar...."2008"*"Carrera S Coupe"*"meteor grey"..., you may alter the terms to specify features of the car).

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...el%3D997&meta=

For instance if you want to add Sport Seats to the above search, Google search window starts off with:
"2008"*"Carrera S Coupe"*"meteor grey"*"sport seats"site:.....

..which gives search results> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%222008%22*%22Carrera+S+Coupe%22*%22meteor+grey%22*%22spo rt+seats%22site%3Aporschedealer.com%2Fnew_cars%2Fsearch.php%3Fmodel%3D99 7&meta=

This method yields some old clutter but also quite a few results. There is probably some Boolean rennlister genius here who knows a better way to prioritize key words to execute more focused search.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i just went on the porsche.com website and checked all the dealers around me (100 mile radius) and went into their websites individually lokking for the new car i wanted. i know it takes a bit of time, but it is fun to check all their stuff out. i must agree with a previous poster who said that initial email were pretty innefective-i found that if you emailed the dealership with a question about a car, maybe 10-20% would email you back-initially calling was more effective-than after you made contact with them, i found that my blackberry was very effective in negotiating with the salesman that you had found. mercedes dealerships are different-if you initially email them, about 80% would email you back. with them also, i found that my blackberry was very effective in negotiating with them-you can foward the quote from one dealer to show the other dealer that you were telling him the truth about the other dealer's offer. of interest, there is a guy who refers to himself as the dutchman-he not infrequently posts on rennlist with cars-he works in pa-i emailed him 3 times about a car he had and never a return-i probably should have initially called him, as i think their email dealership system ain't great. but once you get the salesman's individual email adress, you are off to the races. i am convinced that i saved thousands recently when i purchased my e63 and carrera s and traded in my other porsche.the blackberry will pay itself off in the money saved on purchases.
I'm curious if your system works with a trade-in (you said you traded in your Porsche). I have found that without a trade I can negotiate a good price then sell my old car privately for more money than a dealer will give me. Is this your experience?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like that. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Paul523
Hypothetically if you are looking nationwide for a 2008 Carrera S Coupe in Meteor Grey:
then click link below, (once transferred to Google page, note the terms inside quotes in Google search bar...."2008"*"Carrera S Coupe"*"meteor grey"..., you may alter the terms to specify features of the car).

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...el%3D997&meta=

For instance if you want to add Sport Seats to the above search, Google search window starts off with:
"2008"*"Carrera S Coupe"*"meteor grey"*"sport seats"site:.....

..which gives search results> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%222008%22*%22Carrera+S+Coupe%22*%22meteor+grey%22*%22spo rt+seats%22site%3Aporschedealer.com%2Fnew_cars%2Fsearch.php%3Fmodel%3D99 7&meta=

This method yields some old clutter but also quite a few results. There is probably some Boolean rennlister genius here who knows a better way to prioritize key words to execute more focused search.

Quick Reply: Buying from out of state... How do u perform a nationwide search?