Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting of Techart Sideskirts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:37 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Default Lifting of Techart Sideskirts

Ok, I live in south Florida and my techart sideskirts started seperating on the top from my 997 leaving a gap. After removing the sideskirt, I spent about 5 hours methodically cleaning off the old mounting resadue but I need a recommedation on what to use to reattach them to the car. They are held with 1 screw on each side and 5 screws on the bottom., but is is the top that has been seperating. 3m double sided tape is not strong enough to seel them.

Any recommendations for an adhesive?
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

How permanent do you want to go? Recently I discovered some really good adhesive that I'll pass along to you all. Perhaps you can't even get it,--it's probably industrial only,--but you should know about it.

Made by Huntsman, it is available in quarts. It's a three part adhesive,--

Part No.

5753-A
5753-B
5753-TX (adds bulk to it)

When it dries it is sort of like GE silicon--and remains pliable.

I think that amount is about $142.

It won't come off. Recommend a layer of scrim inbetween the materials to give it some body/holding power.
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:50 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Dan ... Do you have a recommend site to buy it from?
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I would try online. We get it here at the shop for specialized applications. Haven't tried to get it personally.

I would tend to discount the 3M doublestick tape,--what were they thinking??

Perhaps something a bit more obtainable would be the way to go. As much as I hate to work with that stuff have you thought of GE Silicon? Heaven help you later taking the stuff off, but it will do what you want.
Old 04-09-2008 | 12:03 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

3M double stick tape is very good if applied correctly. You need to use the 3M adhesion promotor. Usually can be bought at automotive paint supply stores. The surface first needs to be cleaned spotless and wiped with IPA. Then apply the adhesion promotor. Important-YOU MUST LET THE ADHESION PROMOTOR DRY BEFORE STICKING TAPE DOWN TO IT or it will fail. Treat the part and car the same way before applying tape. If done in this manor you will be able to remove the part down the road without paint damage but it will not be easy.

Sounds like the surface prep job on your car was sub-standard. Also note there are different grades of 3M double stick tape. Get the best grade possible, again at the paint supply store. They are usually the ones who will sell OE grade product to non-OE customers.

The tape you want is: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

Quick Reply: Lifting of Techart Sideskirts