Sponsored by:

Burning coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Bigwave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning coolant smell

Need some help before a dealer service visit. I have some type of coolant leak that seems to be on the top half of the motor. After I drive it fairly hard I'll get the smell of burning coolant and after I open the engine cover I seem to have coolant splash/overspray on the left side of the intake hose and throttle body, on the fan and back side of the engine cover and on the misalliances hoses next to the left side of the throttle body. I can’t find the source. Could anyone shed some light on this before my service visit?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Have smelt that myself at times. The usual source of trouble is the coolant cap,--that blue plastic thing in the left side of the engine area. They need to pressurize the system and do a leak-down test. The test should include the cap as well. That seems to be the item that fails the most. It took them several tries to finally believe me and they wound up replacing the cap. Problem solved. (I could never keep the coolant fluid level where it belonged). A tell-tale bit of a white powdery substance on the bottom edge of the cap can giveaway it being bad. I was always smelling coolant before,--the new cap fixed it. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Bigwave
Instructor

Thanks edgy I actually had a puff of smoke coming from the engine cover this morning after running her pretty good on the way to work.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Edgy, I checked the cap and its on good and snug. The over spray/splash is on the throttle body and there is no clear path from the cap to the side of the throttle body. The air intake tube from the engine cover is blocking that path. Stupid question but here it goes. Are there any hoses for the coolant on the left side of the throttle body?

Quick Reply: Burning coolant smell