Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Carrera 4 could switch to Haldex AWD system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Carrera 4 could switch to Haldex AWD system?

This is interesting news... Can anyone please help explain how the current 997 C4/C4S/TT AWD system works differently than the Haldex AWD system?

With best regards,

Porsche Carrera 4 could switch to Haldex AWD system

The beating heart of the Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (and Turbo) is the company's own proprietary wet-clutch all-wheel-drive system. Its traction dynamics are what Porsche owners and enthusiasts have come to know and trust for generations. Reports are now circulating, however, that Stuttgart is preparing to dump its own tried-and-tested in-house four-wheel-drive system for an outsourced Haldex transmission, reportedly equipped with the latest electronic limited slip differential. The rumors come at an interesting time for Porsche, considering that a wide range of vehicles from the Volkswagen Group into which Porsche just acquired majority interest – including VWs, SEATs, Skodas, Audis and even the Bugatti Veyron – use the Haldex. If the reports are accurate, the system could be out on the next iteration of the Porsche 911 Carrera 4 as well as the 911 Turbo spied while undergoing cold weather testing in Scandinavia just last month.

[Source: World Car Fans]
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/p...ex-awd-system/
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
agillies
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is information on the Haldex system here:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc..._21.htm#Haldex

The Porsche system is described in the 997 Turbo brochure; Coochas has this on his website:

http://coochas.com/brochures/Resourc...7_turbo_us.pdf

I hope it is ok to provide these links.

Both websites also have lots of other interesting information!

Gus
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 AM
fxhomie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in a nutshell, 997 TT uses electomagnetic clutches and is mfg. by BorgWarner; 997 C4/C4S is viscous coupling - a really old technology.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fxhomie
in a nutshell, 997 TT uses electomagnetic clutches and is mfg. by BorgWarner; 997 C4/C4S is viscous coupling - a really old technology.
I was under the impression that even though the 997 C4 uses the old technology viscous c.diff that it is implemented very well, so good in fact that it's one of the best AWD systems in modern sports cars to maintain a RWD feel and only give you AWD when you need it. I wonder if this is true?

I also wonder if the Haldex system, if used, will be an improvement? The only thing I know about Haldex systems is they're generally used as a FWD biased AWD system in Volvo's, VW's & Audi's (the AWD models which aren't using Quattro) and don't have the reputation of being "sporty." I'm guessing Haldex & Porsche are working on a new system which will be excellent but I wouldn't want to be one of the first to put my money down on one until they've received some real unbiased reviews.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:11 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

On the 996 the Haldex limits front bias to < 30%,, as it ages that drops off more.
Un fortunately they built it as a sealed unit, and nobody cares enough to provide a rebuild service(Likely more than a new unit)
I just wish I could've a solid 40% front bias on demand..

Haldex builds tons of industrial power coupling tech, far more than even the automotive tech.

Quick Reply: Porsche Carrera 4 could switch to Haldex AWD system?