Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The traffic overlay does NOT work in the US. I finally got a definate answer through Paul Gregor, who is the Porsche, AG liaison to PCA. The product description is a translation from the German, and states "where avilable". The US is not one of those places. Sorry.

Jerry
Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
The traffic overlay does NOT work in the US. I finally got a definate answer through Paul Gregor, who is the Porsche, AG liaison to PCA. The product description is a translation from the German, and states "where avilable". The US is not one of those places. Sorry.

Jerry

It is sad.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Come to Boston, you will get an automatic Reggae breakin with TP on!!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

I don't really care about real time traffic. I know my commute sucks.

I want real time radar trap warnings
Old 05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It did work really well for me in Europe. Unfortunately, the road systems in the USA are so dramatically different than in Europe that it just wouldn't be as effective. Wish it were, though.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Jerry
So how do BMW, Lexus and some of the others get the traffic overlay to work here in the US? I'm surprised Porsche would advertise the capability in the Christopherous ad, in the 997 PCM Update TSB, and then claim it doesn't work here!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

As to other manufacturers, they probably work with a subscription service like the one mentioned earlier in this thread. Christophorus, while having market specific sections, is a translation from the German, as is the TSB from PCNA (as I noted above). I will try to find out whether Porsche plans to add this capability to existing or future systems, when I am at Parade next month. There is usually time during Parade to talk with representative from PCNA amd Porsche, AG.

Jerry
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 AM
geoff w
Advanced

As to other manufacturers, they probably work with a subscription service like the one mentioned earlier in this thread. Christophorus, while having market specific sections, is a translation from the German, as is the TSB from PCNA (as I noted above). I will try to find out whether Porsche plans to add this capability to existing or future systems, when I am at Parade next month. There is usually time during Parade to talk with representative from PCNA amd Porsche, AG.

Jerry
Jerry - when you talk to PCNA, can you please also check whether the April '08 Nav update will even support the traffic display if we subscribe ourselves. I think BMW's deal is that the nav includes the traffic reception and display. This is something some people who drive a lot will subscribe to if the PCM hardware/software works. I now have an '05 997 and '08 Cayenne S with PCM/nav and would love to have the traffic display on both systems. Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Geoff
I am sure the software supports the traffic update, as it works in Europe (see Edgy01's posts). The problem, as I understand it, is that the company providing the traffic information in the US does not have an agreement with Porsche to provide it on the PCM. I don't have the technical knowledge to say how that could be remodied, but will ask at Parade. My correspondence with the company that broadcasts the traffic info indicated that they don't "at this time" provide that service for Porsche. I will check, though, at Parade.

Jerry
Old 06-11-2008, 05:35 PM
bmodanlou
5th Gear

Question Need help w/ Nav 2.1 update...

Got the new CD's/DVD's (from SunCoast Porsche), reviewed the recent TSB here from RennTech and confirmed I have software version B (its a 2007 997 TT)... but when I insert Disc 1 of the update into the dash CD slot I get something like "Invalid Update Disc" after a few seconds... anyone know what I might be doing wrong in the process? I've tried repeatedly and still get same error... stuck!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bmodanlou
Got the new CD's/DVD's (from SunCoast Porsche), reviewed the recent TSB here from RennTech and confirmed I have software version B (its a 2007 997 TT)... but when I insert Disc 1 of the update into the dash CD slot I get something like "Invalid Update Disc" after a few seconds... anyone know what I might be doing wrong in the process? I've tried repeatedly and still get same error... stuck!
I thought the Nav unit is in the trunk.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

feed discs into Nav drive in trunk!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
bmodanlou
5th Gear

^^^ yup, got the navigation disk to update via the nav box in the trunk... there are 4 discs in total, 1 is the navigation update, 1 is the new map DVD disk (those feed, update, and work properly in the nav box), and there is also a PCM update w/ 2 other discs, and according to the TSB instructions and diagram from Porsche these disks are to be fed into the CD slot on the PCM face... the PCM discs are causing the error...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

your 07 may only need 1 disk in the PCM if at all. Just try the Nav. Map by it self and see if it asks to update. Do you show "traffic programme" now? You may be high enough already!
Sorry I didn't see last post of yours. you may be good to go without additional PCM update. You don't get anything else anyway.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep in mind that the trunk unit is a DVD reader; the dash a CD reader. Look at the discs carefully to ascertain what format they are and then simply follow the directions.

Quick Reply: Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!