Sponsored by:

How to conduct a private sale ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
The problem with trade in on high-end cars is that you don't just take a two grand licking; you take a 5000 - 10,000 dollar drubbing.

Sigh. I don't look forward to listing my car. I hope a Rennlister will want it.
On my 10yr old range rover the land rover dealer offered only $1k at trade-in. After putting about $5k in the last two years it was hard to let it go for only $1k. I had it listed on craigslist for about 2 weeks and it seemed like $4500 was the number people were interested in but I found the right buyer at $5900.

Another thing to do as a seller is to google the buyers name, email and phone number. Some people basically leave their business card on their emails. One of the guys that bought my car had a linkedin account. From our conversations everything checked out with his online profiles which helped build trust. You don't have to ask 20 questions. Some people just like to talk. I've sold some high end camera gear on ebay and have evem found pictures of buyers online.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=daddyscar;

Another thing to do as a seller is to google the buyers name, email and phone number. Some people basically leave their business card on their emails. One of the guys that bought my car had a linkedin account. From our conversations everything checked out with his online profiles which helped build trust. You don't have to ask 20 questions. Some people just like to talk. I've sold some high end camera gear on ebay and have evem found pictures of buyers online.[/QUOTE]

very good point. i always do a lookup in as many public records as possible. of course, i feel that much better when the person communicates from his/her work email (which i also try to verify).
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
JJB236
Racer

Just sold my 996 for $33k. Advertised price was $36k. Right after the appointment to exchange the car and a cashier's check was arranged, I got someone who want to pay $35k. I just kept my word and sold it to the first person at $33k even though the 24 hours passed since we agreed on a price. Was that a good price I got? 996 forum said my 01 996 black/black 28k miles should go for $31k-32k.

Options:

Technic package (bi-xenon headlamps)
Comfort package (power seats)
Tiptronic
Wheel caps with colored crest

Last edited by JJB236; 04-08-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
equ
Racer

Yes, that's a good price. I've sold quite a few cars privately and it's a matter of common sense. First you give them a short ride in the car, some people will be fine with just being passenger. Of course I let them test drive if they look reasonable. I've never had a problem (though only one faster than I was comfortable with test drive). If I were shopping and a private owner didn't let me drive his car, I'd just walk...

If you price it high, you'll waste a whole bunch of time and get tire kickers. The trick is to suck it up and price it fairly, something like trade-in (true, nasty, dealer trade-in) + 10%.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Just sold my 996 for $33k. Advertised price was $36k. Right after the appointment to exchange the car and a cashier's check was arranged, I got someone who want to pay $35k. I just kept my word and sold it to the first person at $33k even though the 24 hours passed since we agreed on a price. Was that a good price I got? 996 forum said my 01 996 black/black 28k miles should go for $31k-32k.
The correct and honorable thing to do IMO. Hope to see pictures of your new 997 soon!

Quick Reply: How to conduct a private sale ?