Sponsored by:

How to conduct a private sale ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What kind of pricing power do you have here? I.E....how many similarly priced 996 tips can the Arizona woman choose between in the west/southwest? I think you need to know this in order to bargain successfully.
Thanks for the great suggestion. Gonna look into the market in her area too.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I would counter just slightly higher than half the difference between what she offered and what you are asking. Let her negotiate it down just a little bit more, and she will definitely feel like she negotiated a great deal, and you will know that you worked it perfectly. Everyone wants to feel like that got a deal, so make her work for it a little and she will appreciate it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
JJB236
Racer

I really appreciate all your input. They are invaluable since its coming from a 3rd party looking at it objectively. Seller can get greedy...

Hey, who said P car drivers are arrogant ***** ? I'm getting closer to my 997.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If the 'zona buyer is reading this thread, then you're outta luck...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM
JJB236
Racer

Yeah, I have a buyer who is willing to pay $36k.

Does the buyer need to pay sales tax?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If the buyer's state has sales tax, then of course.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

All I know is in Jersey the private seller doesn't collect sales tax. They'll get their pound of flesh when its registered.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
JJB236
Racer

While I'm negotiating with the Arizona buyer, I received another call who is willing to pay the full asking price. He is about 30 miles from me in CA. I heard from somone that used Porsche 911 values have slightly gone up for some reason. And these past two days, I already had 3 inquiries. I could possibly get very close to the KBB Private-Party-Value, and I am so stoked. Thanks to all you guys. I can see that 997 C4 in my driveway real soon.

Gotta go get all the paperwork ready to close the sale. Good thing I didn't trade it in at $26K. Someone in this 997 forum said to be ready to bend over at a dealer trade-in. Cheers.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Leader
When selling a car from private party to private party - a confirmed wire transfer of funds from the buyer's bank into your account is the safest way to insure the transaction.

It is the buyer's responsibility to pay the sales tax (8.25% in Los Angeles), the licensing fees (for plates), and for a title transfer. All of these things can be done with a trip to AAA, which is much faster than going to a DMV office.

In some private sale transactions, it's customary for the seller to pay for the Smog Certificate on the car, if one is needed. Not all transactions require one, and I believe your 2001 would be exempt. Check with a smog station just to be sure.
Thanks for the info. Does the buyer keep my license plate? Can he apply for a new one at the time of the sale?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
tkids
Pro

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm should anwser some questions.

make sure you fill out this form:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by tkids
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm should anwser some questions.

make sure you fill out this form:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm
I'm definitely buying a round of beer for everyone here
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
JJB236
Racer

A few people are coming to check out the car. Obviously, they would want to drive it on the local streets, and probably on the freeway too. But before the seller allows the potential buyer to test-drive, shouldn't the seller check to see his/her credit or their ability to pay for the car, at least...? Maybe his bank statements, etc.???
Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Thanks for the info. Does the buyer keep my license plate? Can he apply for a new one at the time of the sale?
In CA the license plate stays with the car. Exception being if you have an Environmental Plate (vanity plate), then that plate you keep and the buyer will have to get new plates.
But, if the car has a normal, sequential plate, the buyer will reregister the car in his name and get a new "year" tag with a new registration number on it for your old plate.
Something tells me you've never sold a car before. If you're a member of AAA, they are a great resource for all this kind of information...might help you insure you don't forget something.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Maybe his bank statements, etc.???
Are you for real? You want to see peoples bank statements before you let them test drive your car?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader

The guy then proceeded to count out 140 $100-bills. I took the money, had my daughter sign the title over to him, and they drove away with the car.

As they disappeared down the road, my daughter turned to me and said, "Dad? How do we know those aren't counterfeit $100-bills?"

Of course, we didn't know. But, on Monday morning my bank assured me they were legit U.S. currency...every single one of 'em.

In retrospect this was not a smart move on my part, but the couple looked "right" to me and I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't recommend taking cash in a car transaction. Pretty risky.
We handle cash daily at my business. Been luck to not get any fake money the first four years but ran into two fake $50's and a fake $20 in the last two. The biggest red flag is the feel. Real money has a slightly rough texture. Two fake bills were too smooth. The third felt right but it upon closer inspection it was two bleached dollar bills stuck together with a fake ribbon and reprinted as a $50.

Back to original topic, I've sold three cars privately. With all three I went with my gut instinct and had my 'bs' sensors on high alert:

1. First I sold a leased bmw convertible. I think I got lucky and found the right buyer. He simply trusted me to send his personal check to pay off the lease buyout amount and transfer the title. He called his bank in front of me to verify the balance but this still is not a good way to certify the check. I trusted him to take the car before the check cleared. He actually left his old miata in my parking spot and let me drive it as he didn't have a parking spot for it (very fun car). Too trusting but I felt comfortable with the buyer and all was good. Probably wouldn't be so trusting again.

2. Sold a bmw sedan, no loan title in hand. I went to the buyers bank and he ordered a cashier's check in front of me. Funny part was the buyer happened to be Russian with a very popular Russian first and last name. While finishing the transaction my wife called all worried because her co-workers were telling her about all these Russian car scams. I'm standing right next to Boris Smirnov (not real name) and she's asking, "what's his name?". By that time I had a good feeling about the buyer so I just started laughing. I exchanged the cashier's check for the title. All was fine.

3. Sold a land rover suv, had a loan. I first paid off the loan to get the title to make the transaction go easier but it took 3-4 weeks to get the title. After two weeks I found the right buyer looking for exactly what I had. From emails and conversations I also got a good vibe from the buyer. We met at my bank. He had a check from his credit union and we agreed that I'd fedex the title once the check cleared. I called his bank to verify funds. I ended up just giving him the title at the time. All was fine.

I actually enjoy selling my cars as I've met some interesting people and I love hearing their car stories. I think it helps to have a somewhat interesting car to sell. But I'm more likely now to trade in to save time.

Quick Reply: How to conduct a private sale ?