Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Newb with Question! (pitfalls of buying a 997 - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 03:22 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Default Stupid Newb with Question! (pitfalls of buying a 997 - rv)

Greetings to all in Renn-land!

Yes another stinkin' noob with a question.

But first let me introduce myself...

I am a motorcycle and car enthusiast for, well, forever.

I won't bring up my current ride or your all kick my sorry tail from here to next Tuesday. Even before I even get started. So let's not go there.

I know very little about these little German uber-cars so I'm here to be enlightened.

I have only owned one Porsche in my life and it was a lovely 2001 Box-S. It was fun, dependable and really smelled good. I did like that car.

Oh, and it clearly was a male as it tended to mark it's spot in the garage with a little brownish-black spot!

My wife especially liked it, thinking the German creators to be especially clever in their ability to make a car with no engine whatsoever leaving her a trunk and a frunk in which to put all the groceries.

Anyway, I studied this forum this morning trying to find a "sticky" about the pitfalls of buying a 997 and I didn't see a thread about that.

I'm sure there is a thread that didn't turn up in my search so if someone would kindly direct me to that thread I'd be tickled.

I'm currently looking for a USED 997 for my wife to use as a daily driver.

She is a bit picky and requires all of the following:

No red, yellow or black.

No auto, paddles, tip etc.

6-speed only. This is inviolate.

No turbo, wings, extra body work etc.

No expensive extras like full leather, fancy wheels, engine upgrades, but she does require a GPS.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!
Old 03-11-2008 | 03:52 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

She's not too picky - you've a world of choice out there; Budget??
Old 03-11-2008 | 04:12 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by eljeffo64
She's not too picky - you've a world of choice out there; Budget??
thanks for your kind reply.

Budget is open.

But, you may have noticed....ImaReallyCheapGuy!

I'll pay what is necessary but I like value.

I prefer to buy cars further down the depreciation curve, for instance I suggested she look at a 993 (which I actually like better than the 997) but she remembers a 993 I drove for a while back in the late 90's and was not fond of it.

For her, I need anvil like dependability but I'd throw up paying for a new car so I'm thinking about maybe a certified ~2005 or so.

I need to know what to look for in these cars, thats why I was hoping for a thread about the pitfalls or weaknesses.

I'm leaning toward a car similar to what's in this eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...em230224997852
Old 03-11-2008 | 04:25 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I think you can do better than the car you're looking at - at least based on my shopping last summer and fall. Of course they will negotiate. There are lots of good used cars to see, so just start looking regularly at eBay, cars.com, autotrader.com and porsche.com/usa (search for the used cars). You'll find that there are a couple of dealers on eBay that never seem to sell (must be a good way to advertise) but have high reserves. And a couple that always have lots of inventory available. And a couple that make really good deals... whatever.

Pitfalls. Avoid cars that have been damaged and improperly repaired, or have mechanical defects. How, with a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) which a dealer or good shop near the car should provide. money very well spent. If you buy from a dealer, consider a certified car with the extra warranty. The 997 is still too new to have chronic high-mileage issues showing up in large numbers, so there aren't many to look out for. Not to say that in a couple of years more won't become apparent. If this worries you, just look to the '06 and '07 models or be extra cautious about the '05 years.

Look at the tires. A set can be pretty expensive (tirerack.com to get a feel for this), so if they're worn you'll want to discuss this with the seller. Maintenance should have been documented, and at least by the book. Much more frequent oil changes are better, but otherwise there isn't much to look out for.

People told me to avoid really low mileage cars and really high mileage cars. Not much scares me, so I looked at them all, being more concerned about condition than mileage.

Finally, I can't end without putting in a plug for Chris at Porsche of North Olmstead in Ohio. He helped me a lot along the way and ultimately sold me a new '07 997S. Worth a call.
Old 03-11-2008 | 05:25 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I thought you said your only P-Car was a Box S. You don't think a 993 qualifies?
Old 03-11-2008 | 06:52 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I thought you said your only P-Car was a Box S. You don't think a 993 qualifies?
Wasn't my car. It belonged to a friend, I used it for a few days. She didn't like it because the switchgear was a little chintzy.

Only Porsche I've owner was this Boxster:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/862309/be001.jpg

So, would you say there's no real glaring problem areas in 997s that need to be looked for, like the RMS in the Boxsters?

Do you need to do PPIs on cars this new?

Would you necessarily do a PPI on a certified car?

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:05 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

Originally Posted by ImaReallyCheapGuy
thanks for your kind reply.

Budget is open.

But, you may have noticed....ImaReallyCheapGuy!

I'll pay what is necessary but I like value.

I prefer to buy cars further down the depreciation curve, for instance I suggested she look at a 993 (which I actually like better than the 997) but she remembers a 993 I drove for a while back in the late 90's and was not fond of it.

For her, I need anvil like dependability but I'd throw up paying for a new car so I'm thinking about maybe a certified ~2005 or so.

I need to know what to look for in these cars, thats why I was hoping for a thread about the pitfalls or weaknesses.

I'm leaning toward a car similar to what's in this eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...em230224997852
Living in Europe I can't comment on the price you might have to pay for a 997 there (except they are ALL cheap compared to here).

Seems to me a lightly spec'd Carrera (non S) might be the perfect VFM/Driving purity option for you. There are lots of threads here on reliability/problems/best options/S versus non S etc etc with 997's - bet you wont find much to put you off though.

Three letters - PSE (or aftermarket equivalent), 'nuff said!
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:29 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I would do a PPI on any used car from a private party or non-Porsche dealer unless you absolutely know the history (and even then...). Of course its not required or even necessary. Just my preference. Do what you're comfortable with.

You shouldn't need it on a CPO car, because the checklist is supposed to do essentially the same thing. But if something didn't seem right with the car or its story, I'd either walk or get it checked out. The better the dealer reputation, the less worry.
Old 03-11-2008 | 10:56 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Gents, thanks for the advice.

Since there seems to be no glaring problems with these cars I will likely go to Baker in Charleston SC or the dealer in Greenville SC (what ever its called) and see if they can source me a 997 similar to the one in the eBay ad.

My wife thinks the one in the eBay ad is just the mutt's nuts.

She thought I was going to buy it! I told her, no, that was just an example of what she might like. So, suppose one of these dealers can source a car like that one (eBay ad is asking $57k) what would be a legit price to offer at the dealer for a car like that?
Guys, I know you don't know me from Adam and you prob think I'm a bullsh*tter, but I'm not. Forgive me for my poor knowledge of Porsches, I'm more of a Ferrari guy.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-11-2008 | 11:30 PM
MartyB
Racer

Here is one in Charleston.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=281

One in North Atlanta

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=24
Old 03-12-2008 | 11:37 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Wasn't my car. It belonged to a friend, I used it for a few days. She didn't like it because the switchgear was a little chintzy.

Only Porsche I've owner was this Boxster:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/862309/be001.jpg

So, would you say there's no real glaring problem areas in 997s that need to be looked for, like the RMS in the Boxsters?

Do you need to do PPIs on cars this new?

Would you necessarily do a PPI on a certified car?

Thanks guys!!!!

Yes, I would do a ppi on any pre-owned car, and there are reports of the dreaded RMS in the 997's as new as 2007. However I have owned 3-996's and 2-997's with no RMS issues at all.

Now is a good time to be buying new or pre-owned. Great deals out there. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008 | 12:09 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by MartyB

Thanks for the input.... looking at those 2, the eBay price and miles and CPO looks pretty good.

I suppose the only complication is a ~$1000 shipping charge.

I think I have the info I need, thanks to everyone who helped!
Old 03-12-2008 | 12:31 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I have a 2005 C2S daily driver. Not a single issue yet other than the tires wear out quickly, and the wind sheilds do not like rocks.
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:32 PM
wetstuff
Pro

I came from the '01 Box-S - also got our 997 from Chris in N. Olmstead (cheap plane ticket + great first ride). My wife was concerned; "I can't drive this!" (both 6sp) ...took her to a stadium parking lot: in - maybe - 100yds she said something like: "This is easier than the Boxster."

This was one time where I felt CPO was better than my gut feeling/eyeball, and it didn't cost that much more than what privateers wanted.
Old 03-12-2008 | 02:42 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Mine

Greetings to all in Renn-land!

Yes another stinkin' noob with a question.

But first let me introduce myself...

I am a motorcycle and car enthusiast for, well, forever.

I won't bring up my current ride or your all kick my sorry tail from here to next Tuesday. Even before I even get started. So let's not go there.

I know very little about these little German uber-cars so I'm here to be enlightened.

I have only owned one Porsche in my life and it was a lovely 2001 Box-S. It was fun, dependable and really smelled good. I did like that car.

Oh, and it clearly was a male as it tended to mark it's spot in the garage with a little brownish-black spot!

My wife especially liked it, thinking the German creators to be especially clever in their ability to make a car with no engine whatsoever leaving her a trunk and a frunk in which to put all the groceries.

Anyway, I studied this forum this morning trying to find a "sticky" about the pitfalls of buying a 997 and I didn't see a thread about that.

I'm sure there is a thread that didn't turn up in my search so if someone would kindly direct me to that thread I'd be tickled.

I'm currently looking for a USED 997 for my wife to use as a daily driver.

She is a bit picky and requires all of the following:

No red, yellow or black.

No auto, paddles, tip etc.

6-speed only. This is inviolate.

No turbo, wings, extra body work etc.

No expensive extras like full leather, fancy wheels, engine upgrades, but she does require a GPS.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!
I searched all over the internet for the perfect 997 and found a 2006 C2S in FL.
It had 6001 miles and was CPO, so I bought it and had it shipped to me in VA. I've had it a couple of weeks and that included one track day. It was a great deal and a perfect car. If you're interested, I can hook you up with my contact.
He's at Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville and he did right by me.
Mr. B

Quick Reply: Stupid Newb with Question! (pitfalls of buying a 997 - rv)