Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ownership experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

"Just curious, how many of you out there are the only 911 in your town (or just one of a few), and have you noticed that it draws attention to you?"

jjv: Are you concerned generally or from a business perspective? I cannot tell from your post.

If the former, what all have said above. I live in a small town where there are other Porsches and exotics, but they are not out and about much locally (everyone drives the other car around locally - primarily for 'business', read: not to appear too well off, reasons). You will get additional attention of some sort: Some positive, some negative - None of that should affect your decision to purchase. How you use the car will go a long way towards how locals will react: Being highly visible by ripping around, running PSE on all the time, taking corners at perceived excess speeds, perceived blasting from red lights, etc., prob will not endear you . And I do mean "perceived" as the car sounds different and just looks fast and typical driving can be innocently perceived as aggressive. Also re usage, you do need to be smart about putting it in harms way (parking, etc.), or you need to see it as "just" a car and not stress.

If your concern relates to business, that is a whole 'nother issue.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

911s are like Camrys here in South Florida.....I see at least 5-10 a day. Last week I saw 2 GT3RS's in one day and yesterday I saw 3 997 Turbos (2 of them were cabs). Anyway, my measly C2S doesn't really stand-out but I'm just fine with that cause I bought it for my own enjoyment
Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
jjv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cello: Not concerned at all on the "business" side of things since I rarely meet meet my customers face-to-face, and when I do, I'm the one who is usually hopping on the plane to visit them. Plus, if I made half of what many of them are making, I'd probably be getting a raise. Nor do I need to worry about co-workers since I work out of my house. However, I am on the Board of Directors for a local non-profit organization. Pulling up to a board meeting in a 911 would probably go off about as gracefully as a fart in church, but that is easily solved by taking the X5, which is still a little worse than the MINI.

I'm definitely a respectful driver on the street, even more so ever since I discovered the joy/addiction of track days, so I'd most likely be an Ambassador for the marque, much like my Doberman is trained to be an Ambassador for his breed. But I'm sure, as with my experience with the Doberman, there will always be people out there with preconceived notions. And those always seem to be the ones who are most vocal with their opinions.

This thread has been immensely helpful and I thank everyone who gave their input. I guess if I do go the 997 route, then I'll simply have to modify its usage. A quick run to the grocery store? Sure. Picking up my son at school or dropping him off a soccer/basketball/baseball practice? No way.

My wife said she'd be just as happy with another BMW or an Audi, but I've already gone the super-sedan route with an Audi RS6 and only something like a 997 moves me on the level of my soul. The funny thing about the RS6 was that at track days *everyone* knew that I was "the guy with the RS6" which was a little unsettling when they knew me and I didn't necessarily know them. In the track day crowd, I'd actually blend in much easier with a 997!!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Have you considered building an addition to your garage for the beater if you are really concerned with not being able to visit your local eateries. While you are there, you can set the bay up with a lift and extra room for tool cabinets to DIYs..
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I when I leave the city I can get a lot of attention in the car. So far, though, I've had no negative comments. People actually seem to be more polite to me, whether or not that is deserved. But I do try to drive politely, and I smile, wave, nod, etc. very respectfully and humbly when in the car. I suppose in something like the 997 if you are polite, people will be twice as polite back to you, whereas being just a little jerk can trigger all sorts of bad things.

My guess is that since you live not too far from one of the wealthiest cities in the US, Porsches may be uncommon but certainly not unheard of. I don't think that your area of the country is so "Pro American Made" that you would bring up all those related issues. You'll probably be fine. As others here have said- you only live once, and this is truly an amazing car.

Last edited by geof; 03-05-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Well, I've finally found an advantage to living in Dallas: Porsches are so numerous here that I'm part of the crowd, rather than standing out from the crowd.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

I came from a background similar to yours, we owned chevy's only and bought a new car every 7-years.

My g'parents literally came over on the boat. I put myself thru college and medical school and have driven porsche's in the cleveland area for over 10 years,

i have never felt quily about my purchase, I earned the money thru hard work and years of sacrifice.
"the American dream"

In over 10 yrs of driving Porsche's, I have never had a bad experience with another driver,
i think it is NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE. BUT HOW YOU DRIVE,

Go for it, get the car you want!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jjv

This thread has been immensely helpful and I thank everyone who gave their input. I guess if I do go the 997 route, then I'll simply have to modify its usage. A quick run to the grocery store? Sure. Picking up my son at school or dropping him off a soccer/basketball/baseball practice? No way...
My 3 years old daughter would not let me pick her up from daycare unless I drive my "Yellow Car".
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by THPorsche
My 3 years old daughter would not let me pick her up from daycare unless I drive my "Yellow Car".
I will pick up the girl in your avatar at any time!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
I will pick up the girl in your avatar at any time!
she's the mother of my 3 year old...J/K
Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I also am in MI and we've had a lot of door dings on BMWs that my wife is certain have only to do with their being imports. But nothing (so far) on the p-cars.

I do get some attention, but like some others have, I try to be very courteous while driving and never get egged into a show of speed, race, etc. Just let them go. I still never see other p-cars during my commute (it is winter), but once in a great while I see one on the weekend.

What surprised me is that there are several p-car owners at work (I work for a large company) in my department and I had no idea. One is a DE instructor, several own Boxsters, etc. Just coming out of the woodwork, but they never drive their p-cars to work. I do. I don't care, I love the car.

As Chris (likemystoppie) said, and I am one of his customers, I bought it for me because its what I've always wanted. And I don't care what others think about it, although I do dodge questions about cost (as I would with anything I have).

If I had a client-sensitive business I would think twice about taking it to work. For some businesses (law firm) it would be a sign of success and probably help the business. For others (accounting firm) it would be ostentatious and suggest overcharging to clients.

Eventually the world will catch up and realize that Corvettes aren't the only sports cars (mustangs either), and that there are other aspects of a Porsche that make the ownership experience great. Meanwhile they can drive the blinged-out Escalades and other domestic pimp rides that cost more than my car, if not at puchase then over the life of the car. And I'll just keep enjoying the car I've wanted for so many years and finally can have.

Its like just about anything else really nice. Some don't appreciate a really well tailored suit, or fine shoes, or a precision watch, or the best restaurants, or a nice cognac, scotch or cigar. I don't enjoy all of those things, but I understand that others do and I'm happy for them if they have acheived enough success or inheritance to indulge. If others begrudge me, I think its their problem/issue, not mine.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I've owned a Corvette in the past and more recent a Lexus SC430.

I wanted a true, real sports car and two names come to mind: Porsche and Ferrari. Seeing I don't have the cash for the big red cars, I found myself wanting a Porsche for a very long time.

And when that time came, I took my time in spec'ing the car to how I wanted it. Then I finally realized I am now in a very great fraternity of owners who are wonderful people as far as I've seen and had the pleasure of meeting. As our PCA chapter says "It's not the cars, it's the people". Very true.

As for others and their perception, sure, I get " Boy, they pay you well" comment now and then. Or just the same look I had prior to ownership. Of course you'll also get those that have a more slanted look, have more of a destructive nature about themselves just because someone else now has a car that they cannot have or whatever makes that individual destructive to act out and take some type of childish tantrum on an unsuspecting car. And you'll get the street stop-light races as well. Add an Aerokit and it just compounded it as I found out.

Bottom line: It's your time, life, money etc. Right now, all are in somewhat short supply. So do what you can do, enjoy whenever you can and go on knowing that you made the right choice.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Landmule
Advanced

In our small Wyoming town, there are a surprising number of standout cars. One local guy drives his Fly Yellow Ferrarri 550 Maranello at all times of the year. Another guy's daily driver is a late 1980's Rolls. Porsches don't draw nearly the attention that these cars do. My friend's C4S is almost invisible. I think nice cars always stand out and draw attention - but my experience is that it is generally positive. I have much more respect for someone in a Porsche (new or old) than another person driving a new Shelby Mustang for which they paid P-Car money.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
ouroboros
Track Day

I live in Dubai, UAE. Per capita Porsche sells more cars here than anywhere else. Believe me you see as many of them as Toyota's in the US so there is no real 'ownership experience' re brand. Re car, it's the best there is becuase of their VW strength in a supercar. In 7 years I've never had anything go wrong with a P-car.

I never tell my clients what I drive however, or pick them up in a decent car... that can only lead to the Big Green Monster syndrome.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjv
There are plenty of BMW's, MB's, and Audi's in my town, but I don't think I've seen a Porsche.
That's because you live in Massachusetts. People out there have a peculiar brand of limousine liberalism in which a Volvo, Saab, or Audi festooned with college stickers (I call them rolling resumes) is far preferable to a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche.

Lisa Birnbach put it best on expensive cars and preppies: "... An expensive toy whose compact-car appearance is supposed to say, 'not showy, just sensible.' Of course, since anyone worth his or her salt knows that this is a costly, high-performance car, it achieves a very desirable encoded flashiness."

Quick Reply: The ownership experience