Sponsored by:

Porsche Factory Outdoor Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Outdoor Car Cover

With my excess of prudence and lack of garage, I will need a car cover for the 2006 Aero C4S. Spring brings the birds, and all that goes with them.

I contacted Boardwalk and they recommended, for the Aero wide-body, that I try their outdoor cover for the 997 Turbo. In Stock. I hope it fits. It will be here tomorrow. Does anybody else use one of these? Will it work? Is it worthwhile or do you recommend otherwise?

Last edited by sclemmons; 02-29-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
cag64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a fan of car covers, in fact I have one for my 03 Boxster and one for my 08 C2S (trying to sell both). I am no longer a fan. The problem I was having was the tire gloss/shine was coming off on the inside of the cover. I WAS not using that much of the stuff on the tire. Also when the car was recently waxed, the damn cover is hell putting on (car to slippery). I believe I was getting fine scatches from the cover as well. I carry a spray bottle of water in the car in case I get a bird bomb. Simply spray said bomb with the water and wipe with a cotton towel. I have a garage so I'm not feeling your pain as much.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
wetstuff
Pro

If you're in a windy area - rent a garage somewhere you can ride a bike to. Even a cashmere-lined cover from Saks 5th Ave can cause problems. IMHO, most covers are best used in a garage.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Try California Car Cover, I have one for my GT3

http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find2.aspx
Old 02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

I feel your pain, I have a black car and used to cover it daily. There are some issues but not as many as not covering it. Today my car is a little dirty so it is not covered. I havn't really noticed more scratches on the edges of the car where you would expect the cover to chafe it more, but then it's black so if you look at it too hard you get swirl marks. Fortunately I have a garage for the PM. Covering it during the day keeps most of the UV from attacking the interior and some of the exterior rubber is bound to benefit as well, and yes the tires will mark up the cover. Not sure why that matters. Nice looking car, bet your next one will not be black, I know mine won't. I feel like changing my name here to "Swirl King".
Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If your car is not absolutely clean, and the cover as well, you wind up doing more damage,--particularly with those colors that show it the most,--BLACK.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
With my excess of prudence and lack of garage, I will need a car cover for the 2006 Aero C4S. Spring brings the birds, and all that goes with them.

I contacted Boardwalk and they recommended, for the Aero wide-body, that I try their outdoor cover for the 997 Turbo. In Stock. I hope it fits. It will be here tomorrow. Does anybody else use one of these? Will it work? Is it worthwhile or do you recommend otherwise?
Sorry for reviving an old thread. But did you ever get a cover? How did it work?

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Try California Car Cover, I have one for my GT3

http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find2.aspx
Never heard of them, better than OEM or covercraft?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California Car Cover
I've used their outdoor covers for years and never been dissatisfied...NO affiliation

Gary
Old 05-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gr1275
California Car Cover
I've used their outdoor covers for years and never been dissatisfied...NO affiliation

Gary
which one did you get, there are multiple designs and material to choose from?
Old 05-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 on California Car Cover.

Use it on 2 of my cars( Lotus Esprit and Porsche). I use the Noah covers.

Alan
Old 05-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If your car is not absolutely clean, and the cover as well, you wind up doing more damage,--particularly with those colors that show it the most,--BLACK.
+997. For long term storage AFTER a good wash. Else, swirls and what us detailing nerds call RIDS (random isolated deep scratches).
Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to find an indoor cover for my cabriolet. The one I bought gets fuzz and threads stuck all over the convertible top. I like a stretch satin cover but not the cotton interior that sheds. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Sorry for reviving an old thread. But did you ever get a cover? How did it work?
I got the factory Turbo cover and it did not fit. I would not have kept it in any event because it was a giant PITA and it did scratch my car in the first attempt to put it on. There are these discreet little metal tubes that you can lock in the trunk to keep the cover in place. Who knew?!

I may revisit the issue because the garage I was renting is no longer available.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:42 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this one... it's the factory Porsche accessory car cover. Not sure if I'd use it out in the elements. It seems heavy enough but it doesn't seem to be waterproof or resistant. Works well for keeping a clean car clean. I haven't noticed any scratches as a result of the cover, however it isn't cut perfectly around the rear wing. It's a little asymmetrical and gives my OCD fits.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:20 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can minimize paint damage when using a cover by removing and installing it correctly. few people do. if its sliding around on the paint or blowing in the wind youre doing it wrong.

to remove, roll the front and rear toward the windshield, leaving the mirrors pockets on to hold the cover and them roll it tighly over the glass from the passenger side. to install do the same but always start from the driver side.

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Outdoor Car Cover