Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good (and invisible) aftermarket park assist options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good (and invisible) aftermarket park assist options?

I admit I have become addicted to this crutch, and I don't like not having it on a car this expensive. Any way of getting this on the 911 without it looking ugly and without sacrificing effectiveness?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then why not get it on your new car? It costs very little compared to the price for a new rear bumper and in darker colors is almost invisible.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I suggest actually learning how to drive your car. No offense intended.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
I suggest actually learning how to drive your car. No offense intended.
Easier said than done .... i have park assist on my Audi and you start to depend on it. Switching into the pcar, I need to remind myself to be more cautious.

Of course, having it doesn't mean you don't do stupid things. A guy with the system on his Porsche backed into my Boxster a couple of years ago ... his stereo was cranked up loud and he was pumped on caffeine or something.

And I did the same thing with my Audi, backing into another car that had zipped into the parking spot behind me ... the system doesn't give you THAT much warning. Good thing the car I hit was an old 944 turbo ... gave the owner the opportunity to get some paint work done, partly at my expense.

All that being said, if I could have it on my 997 in OEM form, I would.

Lorne
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the OEM park assist on a black car - I'd rather not have the "dots' visible but after a while you don't notice them. I don't really depend on the beeps when I'm backing up but the fact that it does beep when I shift into reverse reminds me to be careful. With the slanted rear window and high seat backs, visibility is somewhat limited.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them installed on my rear bumper by the same guys that did my laser jammer. not too bad, 150 for parts and 175 for labor for $325 total. certainly less than the $500 collision deductible and the time and effort for repair. the sensors are about quarter-sized and black, after a couple of weeks i don't even notice them anymore. unfortunately they could not be placed on the protrusions adjacent to the license plate as the readings were not on a horizontal plane from that position. they lie flush with the bumper so i don't mind at all.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

+

=

Success!

Sorry, couldn't resist!
This is an interesting idea. I know that while I can drive, sometimes you just can't help but gently tag another car. Not fun. I've only done it once, but.... yeah. So I'm interested in the answer as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lblackman
Of course, having it doesn't mean you don't do stupid things. A guy with the system on his Porsche backed into my Boxster a couple of years ago ... his stereo was cranked up loud and he was pumped on caffeine or something.
Yeah, and the system doesn't work above a certain speed either.
This guy hit an acquaintance of mine in the Volvo...

As you can see, he got nailed pretty hard. the gentleman admitted he was backing out of his driveway onto a public street using only his factory backup system, not looking. Of course this system is designed for precision, in my opinion, as in parallel parking and in the driveway, etc... Low speeds, low risk of hitting other cars.
My acquaintance downloaded this escalade's owner's manual, and the system doesn't work above 3mph. As you can see, to be hit that hard he was going much faster.

Nothing can replace driver competence and paying attention. I've gotten out of my car to walk around and see the actual distance I can back up to get out, before.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I use the wifey park assist... Wife gets out, and assists by colorful metaphors to the driver (me). Works pretty well.

I keep asking her to just stand in the way of the other car so this way I can gauge the distance, but she just doesn't go for it...DAMN.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deanski
I use the wifey park assist... Wife gets out, and assists by colorful metaphors to the driver (me). Works pretty well.

I keep asking her to just stand in the way of the other car so this way I can gauge the distance, but she just dosen't go for it...DAMN.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Any good (and invisible) aftermarket park assist options?