Sponsored by:

Hey lift guys, a little help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey lift guys, a little help please

I have searched the threads on lifts. I am going to do one myself, but I have one question.

How much space remains between your Garage door when open and the ceiling?

I am going to use a jack shaft opener to get the door as high as possible, but the installer is telling me it will be one foot from the ceiling. This doesn't seem right to me. What is the purpose of the jack shaft if you can not run the door and tracks right up against the ceiling?

I have enough clearance to do this since I have an 11' ceiling, but that seems to indicate I am left with only 10' of clearance when the door is open. I was hoping for more like 10'6". Am I the one who has pipe dreams?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I bought a jackshaft opener is that a regular door opener hangs down a bit below the door. I was able to mount my lift a bit further ahead of center (of garage) so the door will not come into play with most vehicles. If I have an SUV or (something long and tall on the lift) I can simply close the garage door and don't have to worry about the vehicle hitting it.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To jnx's point, the garage door (because it goes further up before it comes back) is not really an impediment any more. It ends up over the hood rather than the roof of your car. See attached photo. You should be able to check this theory by visualizing and measuring in your own garage. You can also place your lift further back (in your garage) to insure the over-the-hood placement

If you haven't yet, peruse the www.garagejournal.com - those guys are lift maniacs. If you post there you will get targeted feedback.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Your door installer can usually order/fabricate "high lift" tracks that pull the door closer to ceiling. I back my 997S onto the lift so door at highest opening is over the front trunk. At highest lift setting, I have 2" between ceiling and car roof but more between door and hood. Needless to say, the first time I raised the car was exciting, now a no-brainer. I have the Liftmaster jackscrew opener--its great, quiet and would use it in any application as long as you have power nearby.

Quick Reply: Hey lift guys, a little help please