Sponsored by:

Forbes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
So I assume this buyer has very deep pockets, and comes up repeatedly as a purchaser, skewing the median.
You apparently don't understand the median. This statistic is typically not "skewed" as you call it by extremes at either end of the scale...the mean is determined by selecting the center value when listing all of the data in order. It is a better statistic than an average in that sense.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You apparently don't understand the median. This statistic is typically not "skewed" as you call it by extremes at either end of the scale...the mean is determined by selecting the center value when listing all of the data in order. It is a better statistic than an average in that sense.
Actually "Mean" is total income of purchasers divided by # cars purchased. Median is the 50th percentile of incomes of purchasers (center value as you say), mode is the most common income of those who purchase a car. Mean and median can both be skewed by a bunch of very wealthy multiple purchasers, although median is skewed equally by everyone who is to the right and mean is more skewed by those further from the center. Mode cannot be skewed by outliers.

So if the google guys show up and fill out the questionaire, and each buys 2 cars every second year, the mean income stats get skewed and become less relevant than they already are.

Not sure what these stats mean anyway, as it is likely based on self reported income which people lie about, misses all the data from forms not filled out, omits country of purchase, may only include financing folks, not COD. Somewhat interesting I guess to speculate on how they are derived to see if you are a typical porshe purchaser.

But this actuary stuff is very boring, and probably better brought up on statistics discussion forums. More interest there.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Actually "Mean" is total income of purchasers divided by # cars purchased. Median is the 50th percentile of incomes of purchasers (center value as you say), mode is the most common income of those who purchase a car. Mean and median can both be skewed by a bunch of very wealthy multiple purchasers, although median is skewed equally by everyone who is to the right and mean is more skewed by those further from the center. Mode cannot be skewed by outliers.

So if the google guys show up and fill out the questionaire, and each buys 2 cars every second year, the mean income stats get skewed and become less relevant than they already are.

Not sure what these stats mean anyway, as it is likely based on self reported income which people lie about, misses all the data from forms not filled out, omits country of purchase, may only include financing folks, not COD. Somewhat interesting I guess to speculate on how they are derived to see if you are a typical porshe purchaser.

But this actuary stuff is very boring, and probably better brought up on statistics discussion forums. More interest there.
Excellent point. Reminds me of the quote by Mark Twain re: lies, damn lies, and statistics. IMHO, if one feels financially secure enough to purchase a 911, then do it, whether that means paying cash, financing, leasing, whatever. If I did what some would consider the "only" way to buy, which is to pay cash, I'd have to wait another year or two to have my 911. And the happiness/satisfaction _I_ could have derived from having that car for those two years would have been lost. It's totally individual. Someone else may derive so much more stress from the car payment that their enjoyment of the vehicle would be nullified. To each his own.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gawd Dammit! This is just like school all over again.. I'm in the lowest percentile again! Fricking-A!

...but like 911Dave notes: I'm one who does not owe anybody/anything. So I didn't get the digital exam from some car dealer.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Not sure what these stats mean anyway,

It means that anyone who either buys or leases a new 997 has a lot of disposeable income, especially when you consider that the Porsche is probaly their second or third car.

Quick Reply: Forbes.